Round 2 - Broncos vs. Dragons - Build Up Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bucking Beads

Bucking Beads

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008
Gotta at least give them a chance to bounce back. We should beat the Dragons although they have a decent forward pack if they get a roll on.

Culhwch

Culhwch

NRL Captain
Mar 28, 2008
If there's no improvement there has to be at least minor changes next week, but I can't argue against giving them all a second chance.

For mine I can't see the value of both Stagg and Hunt on the bench. Stagg could easily give Macca a breather - he couldn't be much worse at hooker than Hunt - and can then stay on to cover the back row. You could bring him on around the twenty-five, thirty minute mark (provided Macca wasn't killing it) and he could pretty much see out the game. Would surely help with our defense. Then we can bring another bigger forward onto the bench for impact - Hala, hopefully, if he builds some form in QCup.

rnabokov

rnabokov

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008
Ahhh. no changes. At least Hook is trying to build some combinations, hopefully built around Prince but obviously including Norman, Wallace and Macca
instead of playing Russian Roulette.

Pity about Thaiday though. He is just not a prop, and being there diminishes that position and weakens our edge attack

Alec

Alec

International Rep
Mar 4, 2008
I understand that it's too early to panic, and even forgetting about talent and who should and shouldn't be there... some of those players just don't seem to have the fitness to play FG yet. I understand dropping someone like Reed for being ordinary is way too early, but dropping him because he can barely handle 80 mins isn't quite the same.

Mr Fourex

Mr Fourex

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Apr 9, 2012
He already played a lot of first receiver on Friday, the Broncos halves don't operate like a traditional halves pairing.

TBH, Prince was just as bad, if not worse than Wallace on Friday.

I dunno about worse.......

he wasn't involved enough for sure.

Mr Fourex

Mr Fourex

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Apr 9, 2012
No surprise there. Happy to see that team line up for another week. A clean out would have been outrageous after one round.

Come on IBA ......some around here wanted the coaches head after one round, let alone wholesale changes.

GCBRONCO

GCBRONCO

International Captain
Mar 4, 2008
whys everyone throwing a tantrum because norman might be going to parra? feck he cant say no to 450k if true.

Mate if he can go earn that good on him, but by the same token the club had no reservations dropping Hodges and he was at around the same age a far superior player and still is, of the two at the same age I know who I'd be more disappointed of their departure and it ain't Norman. By all means get that kind of money if thats in his best interests, but the club has to look after theirs as well.

Last edited:
Splinter

Splinter

NRL Player
Feb 16, 2013
Bryan Neibling says Thaiday is not a prop. Surprise
maybe we need him coaching the Broncos

Broncoman

Broncoman

State of Origin Rep
Oct 9, 2011
Second rower is where I would play Thiaday.

C

Coxy

International Captain
Mar 4, 2008
Norths devils is where I'd play him

I

IBA

NYC Player
Mar 23, 2012
Come on IBA ......some around here wanted the coaches head after one round, let alone wholesale changes.

People round here want a 40 man squad rotated daily... Miss a tackle at prop? Straight to the centers! Average game in the centers? Bench spot to relieve a second rower! Get some new local high school hero in to the team at the cost of a 100 game first grader...

Thank christ the weekly team isn't picked from this place...

Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008
Well...of course.

We're all inspired by the GREATEST coach of all time.

Last edited by a moderator:
SSS

SSS

NYC Player
Mar 11, 2008
People round here want a 40 man squad rotated daily... Miss a tackle at prop? Straight to the centers! Average game in the centers? Bench spot to relieve a second rower! Get some new local high school hero in to the team at the cost of a 100 game first grader...

Well I guess it's the whole "ya want what ya can't have thing" here. As hook is continually selecting half-assed poor performing players, guys like Thaiday norman and Wallace have guaranteed spots in our team no matter how badly they perform on a weekly basis. I guess when ya know no changes will be made, the hypothetical changes offer appeal to all frustrated fans....maybe?

Kimlo

Kimlo

International Captain
Senior Staff
Apr 26, 2008

Yes IBA. Not all of us are enlightened footy fans of superior intelligence such as yourself.

Every example you've given is exaggerated bullshit, who wants a 40 man squad? We'd be happy with the 25 being used!
Miss a tackle at prop straight to centres? Who? Which prop have we suggested to go to centres...
Average game in centres? You mean Jack Reed? The guy who's form has been shit all last year and was even worse in his most recent game...
Local high school hero? You mean guys who are contracted in our top 25, or just outside of the top 25 and have years of league experience, displaying great form and waiting for a chance?

Thank christ there's not more condescending posters like you in this place.

If you disagree with something, why not point it out and argue the point at hand like an adult instead of making generalised posts bagging out other people's knowledge without having the balls to actually argue the point directly. It's easy to sit in the corner and throw insults without taking a real part in the conversation.

Last edited:
I

IBA

NYC Player
Mar 23, 2012
Yes IBA. Not all of us are enlightened footy fans of superior intelligence such as yourself.

Every example you've given is exaggerated bull****, who wants a 40 man squad? We'd be happy with the 25 being used!
Miss a tackle at prop straight to centres? Who? Which prop have we suggested to go to centres...
Average game in centres? You mean Jack Reed? The guy who's form has been **** all last year and was even worse in his most recent game...
Local high school hero? You mean guys who are contracted in our top 25, or just outside of the top 25 and have years of league experience, displaying great form and waiting for a chance?

Thank christ there's not more condescending posters like you in this place.

If you disagree with something, why not point it out and argue the point at hand like an adult instead of making generalised posts bagging out other people's knowledge without having the balls to actually argue the point directly. It's easy to sit in the corner and throw insults without taking a real part in the conversation.

Jesus christ mate, calm down. Welcome to the incredible world of hyperbole.

All I said was, I'm not surprised they stuck with the same team. I thought it was pretty obvious I was joking about the posters that come in and say "this is the team I want this weekend" with 10 changes.

I'm all up for some changes just wanted to inject a little levity into the place. Obviously rubbed you up the wrong way...

Kimlo

Kimlo

International Captain
Senior Staff
Apr 26, 2008
Fair call! FWIW I'm disappointed with the team's performance but I don't really expect any changes in week 2. Like a lot of other supporters I vent here when the Broncos play like shit. I don't mind what you posted specifically, I just don't like it when someone posts negative things and directs it at everyone instead of just singling out what they disagree with.

Most of us just want to see SOME changes, not a lot, problem is from last year mid season onwards to this year week 1 it looks like nothing has changed. Thaiday and Reed are still playing as poorly as least season (granted it's week 1, I'm willing to give it at leas 6-8 weeks) when previously the excuse was the shoulder injury.

The most frustrating thing is the coaching team doesn't seem to have made any changes.

I

IBA

NYC Player
Mar 23, 2012
Fair call! FWIW I'm disappointed with the team's performance but I don't really expect any changes in week 2. Like a lot of other supporters I vent here when the Broncos play like ****. I don't mind what you posted specifically, I just don't like it when someone posts negative things and directs it at everyone instead of just singling out what they disagree with.

Most of us just want to see SOME changes, not a lot, problem is from last year mid season onwards to this year week 1 it looks like nothing has changed. Thaiday and Reed are still playing as poorly as least season (granted it's week 1, I'm willing to give it at leas 6-8 weeks) when previously the excuse was the shoulder injury.

The most frustrating thing is the coaching team doesn't seem to have made any changes.

Yeah I'm a long term supporter and this has been the hard couple of years. Watching Thaiday play like shit at prop (not much better out wide but I'll give him the benefit of the shoulder injury last year), Reed going very averagely in the centers (would love to give Kahu a run in there, or push Hoffman in and give him a shot there, maybe Kemp on the wing?) McCullough hasn't improved in years and his service is woeful, thank christ he makes 40 odd tackles a game. My biggest problem right now is the fact we are pushed around all over the park. So many kicks out of our own half, props getting pushed back most tackles. We NEED an impact prop. Happy to persist with the halves (they we're decent, I actually though Wallace was a little better than Prince, despite the fucking awful attempt on DCE - I'd like him to get more involved) but Hunt has to keep the pressure on them.

I thought depth looked a little better, except for fucking Thaiday. I can't count how many times he overran a play, the halves need to start ignoring him in those sweeping plays, let him be a decoy runner. He over runs, the slows up to get the ball and makes zero impact hitting the line. Pathetic from a world class player.

Happy for the same team for another couple of weeks, but it all hinges on these potential players carving up the q cup and forcing their way into the FG team. No point dropping average players for worse players...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Unread

Active Now

• Wolfie
  • ivanhungryjak
  • Broncorob
  • phoenix
  • Aldo
  • Xzei
  • Waynesaurus
  • Lostboy
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.