Round 2 - Broncos vs. Dragons - Post Game Thread

I was dreading all week that Beale would score the match winner, with him being an ex-Bronco and all. Thank god that didn't happen.

Maranta was terrible. Hoffman and Redd were much better.

Dragons are spoonworthy, I am worried this takes the heat off what still seems to be glaring issues.

We play the Roosters, Storm, Titans, Cowboys before we face another **** team.

Than you should savior this victory and not be so damn negative.

Beale had a shocker. Always a silly mistake or two in his game. Always gets in the way of his own players as well.
Lockyer anyone? Nightingale tonight.
Not sad to see him gone.

Great effort, positives were defence, attitude, Hoffman, Hannant. Our bench had to play and the sky didn't fall in, I hope hook learned something.
Prince at 7 and Wallace at 6 looked far more likely than anything we've seen since Locky left.
Stagg was good and doesn't deserve the flaming he gets on here, Gillett hit a bit of form.

Happy as with the win.

Improvements, Maranta is not NRL standard, not enough speed or size. Love to see Hoffman at centre which may happen next week.

The best part of the game? Saints are a real chance of getting the spoon

Happy that we played the Dragons. Their abysmal attack will hopefully give us some confidence now.

Still not happy with the kick chase. My god was it bad tonight. Brett Morris especially carved us up even after good kicks.

Other than that, nothing to complain about. Other than hoping the injuries aren't too bad and McGuire doesn't miss long.

Wow, THAT defence! I couldn't bear to watch the 2nd half in real time and only watched on recorded delay once I saw here we'd scored the 1st try after 1/2 time. THAT second half was pure Broncoism, unlike last week. Refs go home with their tails between their legs, I guess they won't get their bit on the side from the Dragons, or a Dragons fan bookie or whoever had them on the take, SUCK SH!T to them!

I just wanna know why that effort is never there against the team I most HATE and MOST want them to beat, dammit. But tonight was soooooo good.

Last edited:
So the ch9 commentary team are discussing the game post match and all of sudden they launch into an analysis of the Canterbury Guineas, W T F ?
Tom Waterhouse is all of a sudden a League expert and Gus is critiquing a horse race. Can they get any worse?

I wouldn't have minded if we didnt score a try, i was so impressed with the defensive effort. Brilliant!! This is what I want to see every week, effort like this and wins will come.

Tom Waterhouse is all of a sudden a League expert and Gus is critiquing a horse race.

I'm just grateful they showed the footy during the Tom Waterhouse show

Last edited:
It's been a longtime since you can say the Broncos really played for the full 80 minutes and that I'm definitely proud of, even when it looked like they were down and out they managed to lift.

Gus looked like he didn't want a bar of Tom.

And how good does the yellow jersey look with maroon shorts/socks. May be my favourite away uniform since 2000.

On line defense was very good despite Prince continually commiting on the inside and leaving hodges short.

Completion rate was brilliant, especially considering how much work they did in defense.

Kick chase was terrible, conceding multiple length of the field line breaks when they should have had them tied down at their own end, gotta chase as a line. Thaiday should have made the tackle on morris in the first half but was lazy and left it for his inside chaser who wasn't there! and it cost us hodges for 10mins.

They also need to tackle round the legs, in wrapping the ball up they're conceding a good 5m by no one taking the legs, they can't run without their legs!

Norman is too timid at the back and needs to concentrate more, his returns need to improve fast, hes way too relaxed and its putting our forwards under pressure. He warmed into his role in attack more in the second half but still has a lot of work to do with Prince.

Wallace defended well but is still the place attacking play goes to die. The uneventful kick to the corner crept back in and they're going to need to come up with more against better sides than the dragons.

Hoffman should see some time in the centres hes the only one with any sort of speed or energy.

Glenn was good, ran over a couple of guys and is crying out for some support off his shoulder for an offload, which is where norman and hoffman should be peppering the line with runs.

Hodges on cue felt his hammy tighten up, if he doesn't tear it next week he will within the month.

Lots of improvement left in them but the win is a good start, had they lost after the defensive effort and it could have been terminal for their confidence. If their defense holds against the better attacking sides and they can keep their completion rate anywhere near tonight and they will be competitive and win more than they lose.

Last edited:
I don't think it helped that Hodges was off for 20 minutes before he did his hammy.

Defence was great apart from our kick chases. Great fight and courage to get the win. Not a fan of the shuffle Hook went with when McCullough went off

Why not....?

Other than Hodges doing his hammy (which I don't think he was playing fullback at the time?)

Hodges at FB, Wallace at dummy half....Prince at half and Norman at 5/8 was working pretty good.

One of the better games from Wallace I think we've all seen for a looonnnnng time......

Active Now

• Mustafur
  • Foordy
  • cento
  • Skathen
  • Mr Fourex
  • Locky's Left Boot
  • ChewThePhatt
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.