PRE-GAME [Round 20, 2024] Broncos vs Knights

Status
Not open for further replies.
Youse have everyright to be concerned. There is a very good chance this Mozer fella will be here in the Bunny warren next year. Cook gone and Uncle Wayne rates Mozer very highly. We will wait and see but don't say I didn't warn youse.

Lee Briers won’t be coaching him, you were right the last time you came in here weren’t you?

How’d the dentist visit go? I hope you got health insurance.

I'm all for keeping Taupau in the side atm but I'm not so convinced you can have Walters, Smoothy and Mozer all the same side. Kobe is out of form yes, but if your going to argue that Smoothy can do his job he needs to push forward a case that he can make metres he doesn't and that effects your forward rotation.
I'm only talking about the bench being taken into this game... not so much Kobe being out for Smoothy.

If Taupau ends up playing a token 10 minutes at the end and Kobe is out there struggling for 30 and we're getting dominated in field position, then it doesn't matter what Smoothy might bring because Kevvie would clearly have Kobe sitting above Taupau in the props and you're not bringing Smoothy in to play prop.

If Taupau has jumped Kobe in the props and churns out 35mins to Kobe's 20, then it could start to be argued about whether Smoothy can do what Kobe is providing... given he looked quite comfortable ball playing, which means Patty can actually get a break during games moving forward

Lee Briers won’t be coaching him, you were right the last time you came in here weren’t you?

How’d the dentist visit go? I hope you got health insurance.
4D10CAAB 8B2C 443F 97C7 88092FC6F03C

I'm only talking about the bench being taken into this game... not so much Kobe being out for Smoothy.

If Taupau ends up playing a token 10 minutes at the end and Kobe is out there struggling for 30 and we're getting dominated in field position, then it doesn't matter what Smoothy might bring because Kevvie would clearly have Kobe sitting above Taupau in the props and you're not bringing Smoothy in to play prop.

If Taupau has jumped Kobe in the props and churns out 35mins to Kobe's 20, then it could start to be argued about whether Smoothy can do what Kobe is providing... given he looked quite comfortable ball playing, which means Patty can actually get a break during games moving forward
Yes but if he is filling in for Carrigan there is more to it then just being a ball player during that period, your still expected to make hitups to take workload off your props. Something Smoothy hasn’t shown his capable of. Locks aren’t limited to one role in a game.

Yes but if he is filling in for Carrigan there is more to it then just being a ball player during that period, your still expected to make hitups to take workload off your props. Something Smoothy hasn’t shown his capable of.
Kobe has barely shown he's capable of doing that this year... he's averaging 70m a game this year playing as a prop. Smoothy made 88m last week as a lock off the bench compared to Kobe's 79m

Kobe has barely shown he's capable of doing that this year... he's averaging 70m a game this year playing as a prop.
Compared to Smoothy’s 22m and it’s not like you can’t run from dummy half, Walters definitely shows him up there.

Compared to Smoothy’s 22m and it’s not like you can’t run from dummy half, Walters definitely shows him up there.
Smoothy has been playing fucking hooker... completely different to a guy that is meant to be playing prop.

Smoothy made 88m last week as a lock off the bench compared to Kobe's 79m

It might be a decent bench with good balance, but Kevvie is prone to playing one of his forwards for like 10-15mins and I'm hoping it's not Taupau at this stage.

Kobe is so far out of form at the moment and is not having a positive impact on games.

Last few weeks Taupau has been one of our best forwards and has been providing massive impact and go forward... I would love to see us just keep going with the big boppers in this game and try to keep rolling over the opposition.

At the moment Kobe hasn't been able to help with that.
Kobe not having an impact a symptom of of a much bigger issue.

Kobe was supposed to bring energy against tired forwards. Quick plays of the ball, and roving around the ruck. He's not a battering ram.

It all comes back to the style of play we chose to play in 23. It's why we let go of Herbie, because we felt Mariner could slide in from wing to eventually centre under our, always on the offensive style of play.

We wanted fast backs, with a good step. We banked that we would be the offensive. Turning teams around. Speed kills.

It hasn't imploded badly.

Smoothy has been playing fucking hooker... completely different to a guy that is meant to be playing prop.

Your right Smoothy made more metres with more minutes to do so. He definitely outperformed Hetherington last week I don't question you there. I just question can he handle that week in and week out when he is so used to playing dummy half, different roles different expectations. I still want him in the side but not at the expense of team balance, if he can show he can thats something to visit sure I'm open to that. Hetherington is out of form yes, but he can play prop, secondrow, lock and in an emergency even dummy half, that gives you much more balance in the forward rotation especially in the event of a key forward or two getting injured. I'm all for competition though and maybe Kobe does need a good kick up the ass.

As for Taupau thought he should have been brought in earlier, we stuck with bloody Baker for too long.

Kobe hasn't been making metres, he's missed some crucial tackles and made some dumb errors at important times. He is bringing nothing this season and let's not forget, he too started as a hooker type. No reason Smoothy can't do the same and given what he showed last week and so many calling for Mozer in because of his great 30 minutes, same should apply to Smoothy who comfortably outperformed Kobe.

Your right Smoothy made more metres with more minutes to do so. He definitely outperformed Hetherington last week I don't question you there. I just question can he handle that week in and week out when he is so used to playing dummy half, different roles different expectations. I still want him in the side but not at the expense of team balance, if he can show he can thats something to visit sure I'm open to that. Hetherington is out of form yes, but he can play prop, secondrow, lock and in an emergency even dummy half, that gives you much more balance in the forward rotation especially in the event of a key forward or two getting injured. I'm all for competition though and maybe Kobe does need a good kick up the ass.

As for Taupau thought he should have been brought in earlier, we stuck with bloody Baker for too long.
I was only saying that if Kobe has dropped down the prop pecking order, which on form he probably should now be behind Taupau, then questions could start to be asked whether Smoothy can do Kobe's role and that means Mozer could come into the team.

For most of the year it's felt like Kobe needs to figure out what his role is moving forward... he needs to increase his versatility to be a better ball player and to be able to play second row. If he can truly start to cover those positions then it's not even a question about whether Smoothy should replace Kobe and Kobe starts to become irreplaceable.

The coaching staff is getting him reps at second row, which he should absolutely be doing instead of Patty, but I'm not sure he can cover lock as much anymore given how important Patty's ball playing has become at the position to our structure. It seems like Payne is more of the ball player when Patty is off compared to Kobe. When Kobe is at lock he plays more like a third prop and the game is moving beyond that.

I want Kobe cutting blokes in half again and using his footwork to beat players through the middle... he's been a weapon since he came into first grade and I don't really know what's happened to him this year. It seems like our defence has turned to catch and wrap instead of winning the first contact and cutting blokes down, which is not suiting him, but I fucking hate the way we are defending at the moment anyway and it needs to be done away with... and maybe his runs through the middle haven't been as good because Payne has been out and we're missing Flegler, Palasia and Herbie.... but he needs to be able to overcome that... look at other small middle forwards like Dylan Walker, Erin Clarke, Jazz, Randall, Sele, Havili, etc.

Smoothy was great last week
Solid numbers in defence too

Kobe not having an impact a symptom of of a much bigger issue.

Kobe was supposed to bring energy against tired forwards. Quick plays of the ball, and roving around the ruck. He's not a battering ram.

It all comes back to the style of play we chose to play in 23. It's why we let go of Herbie, because we felt Mariner could slide in from wing to eventually centre under our, always on the offensive style of play.

We wanted fast backs, with a good step. We banked that we would be the offensive. Turning teams around. Speed kills.

It hasn't imploded badly.
There’s the issue with our constant turnovers. Not only are we slow and tired but the other team is still fresh and full of running before they even make interchanges. We just don’t build any pressure to fatigue the opposition.

There’s the issue with our constant turnovers. Not only are we slow and tired but the other team is still fresh and full of running before they even make interchanges. We just don’t build any pressure to fatigue the opposition.

Because in recent games except the Penrith game we've started slowly and been chasing the game. Hard to have more energy than the opposition when we've spent most of the game tackling.

Near full strength.

No excuses today.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• bb_gun
  • Bucking Beads
  • johnny plath
  • Stix
  • Justwin
  • Manofoneway
  • Aldo
  • Sproj
  • FACTHUNT
  • broncsgoat
  • maddo
  • GCBRONCO
  • Culhwch
  • Waynesaurus
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.