PRE-GAME [Round 20, 2024] Broncos vs Knights

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oates in front of Mariner ?
Finding that hard to comprehend . LOL .
After that attempt from Mam to kick it early to Mariner in the Dragons game, got me thinking why we don't try this more?

The guy's biggest asset is his speed, why don't we use it more? I remeber Hunt kicking it early for Roberts, or even Reynolds kicking it for Cobbo.

Maybe once Reynolds is back it'll be something we try.

After that attempt from Mam to kick it early to Mariner in the Dragons game, got me thinking why we don't try this more?

The guy's biggest asset is his speed, why don't we use it more? I remeber Hunt kicking it early for Roberts, or even Reynolds kicking it for Cobbo.

Reynolds does it a far bit... scored a try vs tigers in Anzac round when he kicked wide to Mariner.

I think Ezra was getting a bit desperate at that point and didn't execute it properly or at the right time.

It's interesting though, because when we had the ball right at the end with like 40sec to go... Sloan was right up behind the line... in the below with 18 second left is pretty much where he was for our whole last set. If Ezra pumped it downfield as far as he could it would've been a footrace between Sloan and Mariner for the ball... I'd give Mariner a decent chance of winning that race, pending where Sloan was positioned when Ezra kicked it.

Can see below that Sloan was following the ball, so a shift to the right and then hammering it back to Mariner on the left (I think he was)... he would've had acres of space and a potentially decent head start on Sloan. Dragons were very high and flat in that last set and it could've been exploited, but pretty intense situation for Ezra to be able to sit back and see that kind of play was on.

Reynolds does it a far bit... scored a try vs tigers in Anzac round when he kicked wide to Mariner.

I think Ezra was getting a bit desperate at that point and didn't execute it properly or at the right time.

It's interesting though, because when we had the ball right at the end with like 40sec to go... Sloan was right up behind the line... in the below with 18 second left is pretty much where he was for our whole last set. If Ezra pumped it downfield as far as he could it would've been a footrace between Sloan and Mariner for the ball... I'd give Mariner a decent chance of winning that race, pending where Sloan was positioned when Ezra kicked it.

Can see below that Sloan was following the ball, so a shift to the right and then hammering it back to Mariner on the left (I think he was)... he would've had acres of space and a potentially decent head start on Sloan. Dragons were very high and flat in that last set and it could've been exploited, but pretty intense situation for Ezra to be able to sit back and see that kind of play was on.

View attachment 28697
Yea I guess that's where experience will come in. Hopefully Mam is seeing the same footage and learns for next time :)

Oates in front of Mariner ?
Finding that hard to comprehend . LOL .

Mariner doesnt do the little things and i personally think he switches off and can be a bit lazy. Oates wont switch off and does all the little things. You then have to balance out Mariner is going to be more of an attacking threat than Oatsey. Its a tough one because we probably need a more solid player but then we are losing a try scoring threat from anywhere on the field.

The plus side of letting Kurt Capewell walk is at least we didn't lose another rep grade player to State of Origin.

Mariner doesnt do the little things and i personally think he switches off and can be a bit lazy. Oates wont switch off and does all the little things. You then have to balance out Mariner is going to be more of an attacking threat than Oatsey. Its a tough one because we probably need a more solid player but then we are losing a try scoring threat from anywhere on the field.

The other option is to put him at 3 and Staggs to the bench but that’ll be equally unpopular.

The reality is, for all Oatesy’s slowness, he makes metres and lots of them and without Herbie and Cobbo on origin, we’ve struggled with that. Aquaman has also been making heaps of errors.

That’s ok too, young players will be inconsistent but right now, we need experience because the season is on the line.

It’s a low percentage play
I’d rather we focus on some fundamentals

It’s a low percentage play
I’d rather we focus on some fundamentals
I dunno, I think it's a pretty safe bet if done right. Kick it long and a good chase - best case we win the race and score. Worst case they win the race and we tackle them in their 20.

Do we think Reece will miss out on Saturday due to suspension? He doesn’t look 100% out there either

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• Xzei
  • Harry Sack
  • marw
  • I bleed Maroon
  • Browny
  • Wolfie
  • Hurrijo
  • Brett Da Man LeMan
  • Howie
  • bb_gun
  • Jedhead
  • Strop
  • Aldo
  • The True King
  • Justwin
  • Scorchie
  • animal eater
  • Financeguy
  • Manofoneway
  • RolledOates
... and 4 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.