PRE-GAME [Round 23, 2024] Broncos vs Cowboys

Status
Not open for further replies.
The fans are fickle. Start wining again and all will be forgiven.
I'm not sure that's strictly accurate either @Santa. Many of the fans are sick to the back teeth of the team playing with no structure at all in the hope that individual brilliance will win the game for us. When the rest of them drop their efforts by even 5% and their execution drops off the fact we have no system to fall back on and that is quite evident.

Many of the fans are sick and tired of this team conceding two or three tries in the space of ten minutes in games because they have no clue at all as to what to do when momentum shifts. This phenomenon is what lost us the GF last year. Let's be honest any team with a structure that were that far in front with the end in sight would have fell back to their structures and closed that game out.

Many fans are sick and tired of seeing this team play with 25 - 30% possession because they have no structures or clue at all on how to stem those momentum changes.

Of course we'll be happy when we start winning again but we won't be satisfied until we see some real fundamental structures put in place that allows the team to handle momentum shifts.

I'm not sure that's strictly accurate either @Santa. Many of the fans are sick to the back teeth of the team playing with no structure at all in the hope that individual brilliance will win the game for us. When the rest of them drop their efforts by even 5% and their execution drops off the fact we have no system to fall back on and that is quite evident.

Many of the fans are sick and tired of this team conceding two or three tries in the space of ten minutes in games because they have no clue at all as to what to do when momentum shifts. This phenomenon is what lost us the GF last year. Let's be honest any team with a structure that were that far in front with the end in sight would have fell back to their structures and closed that game out.

Many fans are sick and tired of seeing this team play with 25 - 30% possession because they have no structures or clue at all on how to stem those momentum changes.

Of course we'll be happy when we start winning again but we won't be satisfied until we see some real fundamental structures put in place that allows the team to handle momentum shifts.
Well yea, winning again will likely require some sort of improvement in the way we play. But if we can lose it so quickly, hopefully we can get it back just as fast. e.g while we were just as error prone lastly year, our line defence, attacking plays, general effort etc. was pretty good.

I compare it to the end of 2022 - we looked pretty bad then too, especially those last 3 games below, but 2023 happened and the fans were generally happy again.

A poor season can have a little bit of happiness to it if we can defeat the Cowboys twice. I don't like our chances, but it would be nice.

Do not joke about mental health needs or self harm - be better
Edit: Be better

Well yea, winning again will likely require some sort of improvement in the way we play. But if we can lose it so quickly, hopefully we can get it back just as fast. e.g while we were just as error prone lastly year, our line defence, attacking plays, general effort etc. was pretty good.

I compare it to the end of 2022 - we looked pretty bad then too, especially those last 3 games below, but 2023 happened and the fans were generally happy again.

View attachment 29017
Please don't remind us all. 🤬

Edit: Quoted a deleted post

It's been rough but the calls on here about it being worse than Seibold's days are a deadset piss take. We could only beat 1 team under Seibs and that was Canterbury.

Isaako and Niu were our fullbacks, Milford was our chief playmaker, Darius Boyd out the back not prepared to get his body in front. Jake Turpin was our hooker, good times.

Lol people need reminding sometimes to remeber how bad it was and how far we came.
It's an interesting read going back to the start of this thread.
Ppl complaining about no structure, conceding 3 or more tries in a row, Kevs pressers where he has no answers or ideas, huge error counts.
Kevs style is manic depressive and so far we're 1 year manic to 3 depressive.

Lisfranc ?
Is it the modern boots ? Never heard of it till the last 5 years ??
I did a bit of reading because I was interested as well.
The long story short is that it is not a new injury or even a modern name (named after Napoleons surgeon). It is becoming more common because of the increased forces of modern sport but it was also previously misdiagnosed regularly as a sprain apparently.
The guys and forces are stronger than ever but this little bones in their feet are not.
Standing and twisting is the most common way this injury occurs. When guys are trying to stay upright to offload or get a quick play the ball while the defence tries to twist them to get them onto their back you can see why it’s happening so often.

It's been rough but the calls on here about it being worse than Seibold's days are a deadset piss take. We could only beat 1 team under Seibs and that was Canterbury.

Isaako and Niu were our fullbacks, Milford was our chief playmaker, Darius Boyd out the back not prepared to get his body in front. Jake Turpin was our hooker, good times.
There is more hope now because of the players we have got. But atm it seems there are barely 2 teams we are better than. The only teams behind us are the 2 that sacked their coach and the tigers that don’t even count as a first grade team IMO.

I don’t really understand what is meant by fickle. There have been times (like now) where I am angry as hell, but my support has been unwavering all these years (Aside from a brief period of non membership to show I wanted Griffin gone). I have still bought tickets, jerseys. apparel etc, I must have a dozen jerseys bought since our last premiership.
I even wore my Broncos jacket out last night despite the embarrassing performance. (One day when we are back on top no one will ever be able to suggest I’m only a Broncos supporter because they are winning) If it was suggested I’m fickle because Im angry and want either improvement or change, that would be an insult to all the suffering I have endured as a dedicated supporter over all these years.

Whatever the plan is for next year needs to start this week. I don't think Walsh should be the #6. We really just need him to improve. Its the same with Piakura, Mariner, MAm (despite being injured). More the latter have been our problem defensively this year.

I would be rolling out the same team as last week barring injuries of course. Cobbo could barely play on the wing a week ago, I don't think he can organise our whole defence and position himself correctly for both sides in attack. He couldnt even position himself correctly against a Qcup winger the other day so lets be real here..

Lets face it, they won't be sacking Kev this season, all talk about it is just pointless. He will be given until Origin time next year to turn it around, same as he got in 2022. There is no time for a roster overhaul like many are calling for. Either it gets done with what we have or we sadly rebuild the club next year.

Here's my team, starting with some roster changes:

The big one: Kevvie sacked immediately.
Walsh given deadline to accept existing offer otherwise rescind.

Add to top 30 for 2024
Joshua Patston

Immediate permission to speak to other clubs:
Billy Walters
Corey Oates
Fletcher Baker
Israel Leota
Jack Gosiewski
Jaiyden Hunt
Jock Madden
Josh Rogers
Kobe Hetherington
Tristan Sailor

Extend one year after season end
Karapani
Marty

Maybe extend
Delouise
Oates

Coach: John Cartwright (until season end)

1. Cobbo (if available, if not permission to speak to other clubs)
2. Karapani (before we decide to extend)
3. Mariner
4. Staggs
5. Arthars
6. Walsh
7. Reynolds
8. Jensen
9. Mozer
10. Willison
11. Patston
12. Riki
13. Carrigan

14. Paix
15. Piakura
16. Taupau
17. Semu

18. Oates
I'd add Mam to the permission to speak to other clubs. Might allow us to solve our Halfback problem and try and sign Sam Walker. We can have some other bloke miss tackles and run the ball straight into the Defensive line...

Just trying to Gee you up, like Turpin, Mam seems to miss most of your honest assessments of the team..

I'd add Mam to the permission to speak to other clubs. Might allow us to solve our Halfback problem and try and sign Sam Walker. We can have some other bloke miss tackles and run the ball straight into the Defensive line...

Just trying to Gee you up, like Turpin, Mam seems to miss most of your honest assessments of the team..
You're not winding me up. No player is immune from critique.

My honest assessment in 2023 is to persist with Mam, Walsh, Haas, Riki, Staggs, Piakura, Karapani, Cobbo and Mariner in the hope a new coaching regime can broaden and hone their talent stacks. If not, no extension.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• Porthoz
  • Gaz
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.