PRE-GAME [Round 23, 2024] Broncos vs Cowboys

Status
Not open for further replies.
My honest assessment in 2023 is to persist with Mam, Walsh, Haas, Riki, Staggs, Piakura, Karapani, Cobbo and Mariner in the hope a new coaching regime can broaden and hone their talent stacks.
To be frank, Mam, Mariner Piakura, Cobbo all have something in common. They all strike me to be a bit dopey and just phase out of games. I think the intensity that Herbie and Capewell play at might have masked it last year but if we are being honest, that whole edge has been a massive problem this year.

Probably cant ever have them all defending on one side of the field together.

I don’t really understand what is meant by fickle. There have been times (like now) where I am angry as hell, but my support has been unwavering all these years (Aside from a brief period of non membership to show I wanted Griffin gone). I have still bought tickets, jerseys. apparel etc, I must have a dozen jerseys bought since our last premiership.
I even wore my Broncos jacket out last night despite the embarrassing performance. (One day when we are back on top no one will ever be able to suggest I’m only a Broncos supporter because they are winning) If it was suggested I’m fickle because Im angry and want either improvement or change, that would be an insult to all the suffering I have endured as a dedicated supporter over all these years.
sure if that comment was meant for me as I have never once suggested our fans are fickle.

That starts with sacking Kevvie and dropping his son.
I highly doubt it will happen. Management will give him some ultimatums and until origin next year to turn it around and if that doesn't happen, I agree there will need to be a change in direction that's for sure.

That starts with sacking Kevvie and dropping his son.
As harsh as this seems in all likelihood you are correct.
Yes, there is a very small possibility that it all gets turned around and he becomes the next great coach. However, the evidence is stacking up and history is against him. The chance of our situation not ending in Kevs eventual sacking is so low.

As harsh as this seems in all likelihood you are correct.
Yes, there is a very small possibility that it all gets turned around and he becomes the next great coach. However, the evidence is stacking up and history is against him. The chance of our situation not ending in Kevs eventual sacking is so low.
I dont think so. The mitigating factors are all still there for this season. Injuries, shortened pre-season on both sides, loss of 4/17 starters etc.

Even Brad Arthur got until Origin the following year to turn his club around, Kevy had the exact same pressure leading into the 2023 season - Lost by 60 to the storm two games prior and ended up being in the GF. If anything, history is with Kevy and this team on turning it around.

I dont think so. The mitigating factors are all still there for this season. Injuries, shortened pre-season on both sides, loss of 4/17 starters etc.

Even Brad Arthur got until Origin the following year to turn his club around, Kevy had the exact same pressure leading into the 2023 season - Lost by 60 to the storm two games prior and ended up being in the GF.
I’m not saying he WILL be sacked, I am just commenting whether he SHOULD be.
If the slide continues into next year then obviously it will have been a mistake to continue his tenure.
If we keep getting flogged the rest of the year and come 14th or 15th I’ll be surprised if he isn’t sacked.
Also, the Eels totally bungled the Brad Arthur situation, that is not a precedent that any sane management would follow.

I’m not saying he WILL be sacked, I am just commenting whether he SHOULD be.
If the slide continues into next year then obviously it will have been a mistake to continue his tenure.
If we keep getting flogged the rest of the year and come 14th or 15th I’ll be surprised if he isn’t sacked.
Should be sacked has some pretty big ramifications I guess. Theres probably only one coach on the market worth considering - Madge. Do we really want the guy that couldn't turn it around at the tigers to come here and try to turn it around for us? He won a premiership yes, but as a coach his teams have missed the finals for 8 years straight. Thats alot of failure at two different clubs. What makes anyone think another available coach would do any better?

Should be sacked has some pretty big ramifications I guess. Theres probably only one coach on the market worth considering - Madge. Do we really want the guy that couldn't turn it around at the tigers to come here and try to turn it around for us? He won a premiership yes, but as a coach his teams have missed the finals for 8 years straight. Thats alot of failure at two different clubs. What makes anyone think another available coach would do any better?
Things get to the stage where you just have to try something new. You can’t keep trying the same failed methods and expect results.
Kevvie isn’t at that stage yet but he is getting close.
Even Ivan clearly failed at the Tigers, IMO nothing that happened at the tigers is even remotely relevant in assessing Madge.
However, I’m not advocating in his favour.

Things get to the stage where you just have to try something new. You can’t keep trying the same failed methods and expect results.
Kevvie isn’t at that stage yet but he is getting close.
Even Ivan clearly failed at the Tigers, IMO nothing that happened at the tigers is even remotely relevant in assessing Madge.
However, I’m not advocating in his favour.
One thing that is consistent with the tigers. Changing the coach has done jack shit.. If we start behaving like them, we will quickly become them.

I agree though, KEvy should be sacked if its not markedly better by next seasons opening rounds.

One thing that is consistent with the tigers. Changing the coach has done jack shit.. If we start behaving like them, we will quickly become them.

I agree though, KEvy should be sacked if its not markedly better by next seasons opening rounds.
The coach is the least of the Tigers problems. Unlike the Tigers, since 2009, finding a coach who isn’t Wayne Bennett has been our number 1 problem.

Even Brad Arthur got until Origin the following year to turn his club around, Kevy had the exact same pressure leading into the 2023 season - Lost by 60 to the storm two games prior and ended up being in the GF. If anything, history is with Kevy and this team on turning it around.
It's over. Do it now, so we at least stand some chance of having a normal season next year.

To be frank, Mam, Mariner Piakura, Cobbo all have something in common. They all strike me to be a bit dopey and just phase out of games. I think the intensity that Herbie and Capewell play at might have masked it last year but if we are being honest, that whole edge has been a massive problem this year.

Probably cant ever have them all defending on one side of the field together.
If a player isn't listening to the coach, you get rid of that player.
If the team isn't listening to the coach, you get rid of that coach.

What is happening?

It's over. Do it now, so we at least stand some chance of having a normal season next year.
Alot of sense in that, essentially replacing the whole coaching staff all at once is our opportunity at the moment. If Kevy remains we run the risk of having to offload new coaching staff after one year next year, i can see the appeal for that.

On the other hand, i'm not convinced on any of the replacements and while Kevys squad that played and almost won the GF last year are still signed for next year, I believe it can be turned around.

I probably agree, KW couldn’t stop our slide that ruined the 2022 season.
Groundhog day and the same exact shit has now ruined 2024.
Yes, 2023 was an amazing ride but our errors and lack of resilience cost us the GF.
Those same problems persist and are our achilles heel, how are we ever going to win a premiership while those issues remain.
For the record, the broncos are in the business of premierships, not scrape into the top 8, not oh well maybe we’ll do better next year, premierships full stop.

If a player isn't listening to the coach, you get rid of that player.
If the team isn't listening to the coach, you get rid of that coach.

What is happening?
I guess i'm from an era where if somethings broken we fix it. Particularly if it was working as recently as October last year.

Throwing players and coaches in the trash can is not what we should be doing, particularly if those players and coaches played and almost won a GF less than 12 months ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• Porthoz
  • Gaz
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.