Round 23 - Broncos vs. Eels - Post Match Discussion

Porthoz

Porthoz

International Captain
Senior Staff
Feb 27, 2010
I think a lot of the frustration comes from the fact we played Parra, and were on the backfoot too often and too long, but remember what happened last year under very similar circumstances...

Parra's defense is horrible and we should've taken advantage of it to get our F/A back in the black, but with Hunt having an absolute shocker (except for that pass), the lack of composure in attack from, well... pretty much everyone bar Prince, some dodgy ball control and of course the clueless refs, it's no surprise we only scored 22 pts.

On the other hand, we faced a team with nothing to loose and with a licence to do pretty much anything they want with the ball. Especially in the second half, they threw everything they could at us, from spreading the ball early in their half, to offloading at will. Yes, it's only Parra, but that kind of footy is really hard to defend, and we were actually quite good in defence.
The cake obviously goes to Hoffy, who saved our arses a few times and also Reed for the same reason, coming to kill plays early, and being constantly on top of their second best runner of the ball in Morgan.

We could say a good team would've put us to the sword, but chances are a good team wouldn't have played that kind of footy.

Kahu was pretty good for his return to be honest, got a few good tackles and covered his flank pretty well with Stagg and Prince, much to my surprise. The fact that Parra threw so much at that side was however no surprise, but he handled it reasonably well. Can't blame him for not scoring that try, as credit has to go to the defender.

Oates was the victim of Reed's passing amnesia, otherwise we could have put 30+ on the board despite our night off in attack.

Stagg did pretty well in my opinion, much better than I expected to be honest. I mean, he's no Hodgo, but he had a few good runs and was mostly solid in defence.

Reed was excellent in defence and defused a number of dangerous situations. He was okay in attack too, except for the previously mentioned amnesia...

Prince was by far and away our best attacking player, but he was seriously hampered by the mess around him, with players overrunning him or taking the wrong option more often than not. He has been in the best season's form and hopefully Hunt comes back with his head screwed on to take advantage of it.

Hunt... A very good pass for a try, but a complete disaster otherwise. It's okay though Ben, you're entitled to one of those once in a while. Just learn from it please!

Hannant and Moose were pretty close to their usual selves, not much to complain about really.

Macca, very good in the first half, got exhausted and subbed and never reached the same peaks again...

Thaiday... Come on captain, you need to lift your game and inspire those around you!

Gillett was on the least busy side of the park, as his stats will probably show, but most of what he did was good or very good. Set up a nice try too. Maybe he could've done a little bit more against Hayne in the first Eels try...

Parker was again his monstrous usual self, tireless working horse getting us on the front foot and tackling at will.

Wallace came in and despite the pre-conceived opinions on here, was pretty good in his stint, continuing Macca's good work, especially in defence, but with crisp quick passing too. Credit where it's due imo.

Lui. Well, I'm gonna have to eat my hat, because this guy has completely transformed himself from a soft pillow into a powerfull runner. He bends the line with each of his runs and defends well too. Keep it up young Dunamis, and you have a spot in the team!

Tasi. Not much time to do anything, but did a decent job of it, running hard and tackling for about a whole 10 minutes.

J. Wallace. Same as Tasi, except he did this for about 5 minutes and looked honestly a bit on the slow and fatty side...

Finally, the MOM. Hoffman was incredible in our 50, and even though he tried really hard with a couple of passes and even that chip and chase kick, I don't think he has it in him to be a ball playing fullback. I hope I'm wrong, because if he had even half of Norman's ability in attack, we would not need Barba!
Regardless, he was so far above the rest of the players, it's almost like he was in a different universe. Great, great skills defending, intercepting, getting out of trouble, running at the line and finishing a well deserved excellent try. Well done Hoffy!

EDIT: TL/DR We did defend well against a team throwing the ball around at will, and should've done better against a dreadfull defence. Hoffy was awesome!

P.S. I really need to learn the art of being succinct! :001_rolleyes:

Last edited:
vertigo

vertigo

State of Origin Rep
Mar 2, 2010
That's a shame then. Need to condition him to be an 80 minute player in the off season. Every other team has an 80 min hooker. Waste of interchange

Agree, it's time for him to join the ranks of Smith, Farah, Luke, Ballin, N.Friend & Ennis.

lockyer

lockyer

BRL Player
Jul 31, 2013
hoff the man, what a time to unleash after barba's release request

ningnangnong

ningnangnong

HACK THE PLANET!!!
Forum Staff
Mar 5, 2008
Hunt was taken off because of a bad cork on his hip, glad he wasn't hooked while healthy. He just had one of those games, was his first touch a knock-on and 1st kick out on the full? Could see his frustration throughout the game, but hopefully he learns and grows from it.

Aye, as silly as it may sound, his poor performance might actually be a good thing.

Not that I thought he was affected by all the praise he's been receiving, but having a bit of a stinker might keep him grounded, and keep that desire there to continue working hard to establish himself in the team.

Gaining experience goes both ways - good stuff and bad stuff - he'll only learn from it and I'm sure it'll benefit him in the future.

ningnangnong

ningnangnong

HACK THE PLANET!!!
Forum Staff
Mar 5, 2008
Been a critic of McCullough a fair bit lately, but he was much better last night. That's a few games in a row now he's put in strong performances. Now, let's see him continue to do so - I want some consistency, Macca!

It's been said, but Hoffman was OUTSTANDING. Still think he's a wee bit under-appreciated on here, just because he doesn't throw flashy passes or have a kicking game. Dude has everything else though, and put us on the front foot a number of times last night.

Thought Reed, Parker, McGuire and Hannant also played pretty well. I actually thought Hannant made a lot more runs and metres than what the stats tell me!

Also, even though he didn't score, how good was it to see a winger in Jordan Kahu back himself in the first half, and try and dive in to score in the corner? **** yeah! So much better than watching Maranta try to step back inside and fall over like a gronk.

broncos4life

broncos4life

International Captain
Forum Staff
Oct 5, 2011
That was seriously the worst game I've watched in a long time. We were absolute crap tonight. There is no other way to put it...

Sam Thaiday: what the **** is the lazy **** doing. Sitting out on and edge hardly doing **** all and when he does run the ball he makes no meters and fakes injuries all the time. He needs to harden the **** up and run the ball more. Show some fucking leadership.

Our whole forward pack was disappointing tonight besides Gillet I thought. Our backs were shit besides Hoffman and possibly reed in defence.

Ive held back this year trying to be positive after games but I've had enough. We lack leadership, urgency and any spec of attacking ability. We won't beat the bulldogs or Newcastle and definitely won't make the 8 and even if we did we would be the laughing stock of the finals.

Dont know if you can tell but I'm seriously pissed off after that heartless gutless performance!!!!!

Our forward pack was great. I can't really agree with any of that and I don't understand a rant like this after this game. It's like you have been watching replays of the shit we have been producing all season and decided to relive it. I'm hardly a thaiday fanboy and have been outspoken how I don't think he should be captain, but I think you would have to be a hard man to say he hasn't been playing well the last few weeks or hasn't been leading, I think he has really stepped up as a captain recently.

I don't understand anything you said

broncos4life

broncos4life

International Captain
Forum Staff
Oct 5, 2011
That's a shame then. Need to condition him to be an 80 minute player in the off season. Every other team has an 80 min hooker. Waste of interchange

Name the 15 teams that have an 80 minute hooker? Interested to hear these mythical teams

C

Coxy

International Captain
Mar 4, 2008
That game made me realize how big the gulf is between the top couple of referees and the bottom group. Those two had no feel for the game at all. At one point there were 12 penalties after 48 minutes, i.e. about one every four minutes. Made it very hard to enjoy it, especially the second half.

agree completely. the game was stifled by the referees blowing the pea out of the whistle.

was a very poor game of football. but a win's a win.

Hoffman was brilliant. hunt was horrible. Reed was a bit of both... big plays in defence, but either selfish in attack (his no try he bombed, unmarked winger outside him), or careless with offloads.

Bull Shark

Bull Shark

State of Origin Rep
Jun 4, 2008
It's going to take a hell of a lot more than Barba & Milford to make the broncos a top 4 team ...

Mr Fourex

Mr Fourex

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Apr 9, 2012
Our forward pack was great. I can't really agree with any of that and I don't understand a rant like this after this game. It's like you have been watching replays of the shit we have been producing all season and decided to relive it. I'm hardly a thaiday fanboy and have been outspoken how I don't think he should be captain, but I think you would have to be a hard man to say he hasn't been playing well the last few weeks or hasn't been leading, I think he has really stepped up as a captain recently.

I don't understand anything you said

Hi B4life ....long time no see.

Well said!

Mr Fourex

Mr Fourex

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Apr 9, 2012
That game made me realize how big the gulf is between the top couple of referees and the bottom group. Those two had no feel for the game at all. At one point there were 12 penalties after 48 minutes, i.e. about one every four minutes. Made it very hard to enjoy it, especially the second half.

Top referees and bottom referees .......?

TBH, there is no top and bottom. It's all just a mixture of inconsistency and absolute stupidity. For a season that I thought started well for the men with the whistle, they are finishing like shit.

Bucking Beads

Bucking Beads

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008
Gillett, Thaiday and Parker have been bloody huge since Origin. Thaiday into the backrow is just brilliant. SO many people going on about Hoffman and how he should be fullback next year blah blah. We always knew he could play awesome like he did last night but he still lacks the ball playing ability. He is a good enough fullback but won't take us to the next level. Prince has stepped up since Wallace was arsed and Hunt was off all night. Macca is showing what he is capable of he just need to back it up consistently.

Mr Fourex

Mr Fourex

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Apr 9, 2012
Reed was a bit of both... big plays in defence, but either selfish in attack (his no try he bombed, unmarked winger outside him), or careless with offloads.

Reed has always been a ball hog ......he used to do the same to Copley.

It's amazing Hoffman has been able to score as many tries as he has this year playing outside of him......

Mr Fourex

Mr Fourex

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Apr 9, 2012
This is why hunt should have been half back years ago with locky. He would be awesome by now.

If Hunt had of been teamed up with Prince at the start of the year, instead of the Prince / "he who shall remain nameless" combo....the Broncs would be in a lot better shape right now and would not be fighting each week to keep their semi finals hopes alive

.....IMHO.

Foordy

Foordy

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008
It's going to take a hell of a lot more than Barba & Milford to make the broncos a top 4 team ...

I disagree ...

this season we have had
4 losses by 6 points or less.
2 losses by 8 points
1 draw

a player like Barba or Milford could turn those losses into wins and all of a sudden we are at worst pushing for a spot in the top 4.

Bucking Beads

Bucking Beads

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008
I disagree ...

this season we have had
4 losses by 6 points or less.
2 losses by 8 points
1 draw

a player like Barba or Milford could turn those losses into wins and all of a sudden we are at worst pushing for a spot in the top 4.

I'm not sure that we are playing like a top 4 side though. Defence has been ordinary this year. A lot has to change in the off season to get us there but we should have the players to make it happen.

Brett

Brett

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Jul 27, 2013
Don't think I'll do an in depth review this week.

Everyone seems to have pretty much covered it.

I was very disappointed with Thaiday. Gee he gave away some stupid penalties.

Not sure on the Lui love either. He missed at least 3 important tackles I can remember off the top of my head where he bulleted out of the line and left our defensive structure fucked. Luckily he had a few good hitups, but he has to remove that shit from his game or I'd prefer someone else to get a go.

Hunt was obviously playing injured, so he can be forgiven.

Macca was outstanding... Then got taken off...

Best game Hoffman has played. Period. He will be right Centre next year, you can bet on it.

Happy to get the win, but disappointed about a lot of things.

Last edited:
Mr Fourex

Mr Fourex

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Apr 9, 2012
Hunt was obviously playing injured, so he can be forgiven.

Got injured in the last 5-10 mins of the game.......don't think it can be used as an excuse for his "no show" last night.

Active Now

• kman
  • Old Mate
  • Allo
  • thenry
  • KickHaas
  • Harry Sack
  • Jedhead
  • bazza
  • I bleed Maroon
  • Scorchie
  • Robboi_321
  • Waynesaurus
  • bert_lifts
  • BroncosMan
  • Manofoneway
  • Big Del
  • broncotville
  • Xzei
  • Bucking Beads
... and 7 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.