Round 23 - Broncos vs. Eels - Pre Match Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Given Hodges's injury, I think there is good, if unpleasant logic in bringing Norman back, unless Kahu is fully fit, or even if he is.

Norman adds an attacking dimension Hoffman doesn't, and we can only hope his defence is up to scratch. It's against his next club so he's not likely to be slack. He also knows what is at stake, and that his team mates know that as well.

Norman may butcher tries, but he also sets them up and scores a few in a way Hoffman can't, at least for the moment.

However unpleasant, I reckon it's an option with some merit in the circumstances.

Last edited:
Why not...?

Whooosh......is what they say these days I believe.

I think you'll find he was responding to bb saying "don't shoot the messenger"

Norman may butcher tries, but he also sets them up and scores a few in a way Hoffman can't, at least for the moment.
His scored two tries all season hardly a try scoring blitz for an attacking back, even Maranta with his bumbling managed more, his butchered more opportunities for his outside support players then his created and his defensive efforts have been questionable at best, Hoffman in his 3 games at fullback this season saved more tries then Norman did for the remaining ones. He also didn't exactly set the world on fire in the eels game and for a bloke who really hasn't looked like he wanted to finish his season with the Broncos on any great note I don't think his suddenly going to step up now.

If Kahu is back, he'll slot straight in for Hodges (or rather probably on the left wing, with Oates at right centre). Not really any need for Norman. Hook actually did a brave thing for once and dropped him, let's stick with that. Is Joe Bond injured?

i think kahu has to be on the wing. his defense isnt solid enough. better to have oates in the centres imo. its a tough ask but them the breaks.

Kahu shoukd be right according to Hook on 4BC sports today.
Good news, Kahu is a talent and IMO he's shown he knows how to score a good try under pressure, take the Cronulla game for example, his awareness and ability to make just the right run to get the ball over the tryline highlighted for me that he is a talented player. Hopefully he can play out the rest of the season.

Brisbane have got to be on their game defensively if they hope to win on Friday. Parramatta are a confidence team and can put points on any opposition if they put their minds to it. By the same token, they are just as likely (if not more so if the past couple of seasons are anything to go by) to make a costly mistake. Brisbane need to play for the latter and look to tighten the screws.

For that to happen, the boys need to start strongly. Brisbane can't afford to make the same mistakes all year. It doesn't serve your team well to control possession and only lead by a narrow margin, it doesn't bode well for the team's psyche. If the Broncos can play for those early tries and look to then tighten the screws and dominate this game, they should have too much class where it counts, especially in-front of what should be a healthy Suncorp crowd.

This is how I'd like to see the boys line up...

1. Josh Hoffman
2. Corey Oates
3. Jack Reed
4. Jordan Kahu
5. Jordan Drew
6. Scott Prince
7. Ben Hunt
8. Josh McGuire
9. Andrew McCullough
10. Ben Hannant
11. Sam Thaiday (c)
12. Matt Gillett
13. Corey Parker

14. Jake Granville
15. Dunamis Lui
16. Lama Tasi
17. David Stagg

I'll be interested to see if Hook will stick with Drew. His comments stemming from the presser lead me to believe it may have been a one-off. I believe against a team like Parramatta, you can afford to play Drew but if Hook feels he isn't up to the pressure of do or die footy I can live with. As a fan, my first preference is always to play players in their natural positions. Or at least in the case of Oates & Drew, the closest thing to it.

I believe the rest is explanatory. I don't expect to see Granville off the bench as I can see Hook preferring Wallace's experience. Not an issue but it goes back to the point I just made plus I rate Granville highly and his form is deserving.

The scary thing is that Hook gave Stagg a wrap about how he went defensively in the centres on Sunday.

That backline, not a fan unfortunately.

Same as the St.George game for mine ..... we have to expect a fired up side looking to prove something in their remaining games.

I'd just replace Hodges with Kahu as far as team changes goes.

Also like to see Tasi get a bit more game time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• Lostboy
  • Dash
  • NSW stables
  • Santa
  • Battler
  • MrTickyMcG
  • Bucking Beads
  • Fozz
  • HarryAllan7
  • Bish
  • Big Del
  • mrslong
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.