Round 23 - Broncos vs. Eels - Pre Match Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
The ONLY way I'd accept Norman in the team is if he defends at centre but attacks at fullback, like Hodges was doing. I don't particularly rate Norman's defence. In fact I don't like it at all (his poor attitude is amplified in defence), but Hoffman shits all over Norman at fullback in defence.

IMO though, I'd have Reed & Oats as the centres, Kahu & Drew as the wingers. Whatever side Oats normally plays on (for the 20s), stick him on that side so he's most comfortable with positioning, and partner him with Kahu. Reed is defensively extremely solid, so he can play either side & look after Drew.

Exactly this^ I'm still worried about scoring points without Hoff or Hodges in centre or wing but all of that backline have shown they can score a try. Hopefully hook gets the hole running forwards working. Someone mentioned a roaming Gillett. I think he could probably be better at this than Norman. He showed on Sunday he can throw a nice pass.

My comments about Norman relate to a situation ONLY where there are no other practicable options, given this is a must-win game.

As for Gillett, he ought to be roaming out wide in particular, as often as possible in attack.

He showed last week what he can do when he has quality ball with some space and time.

Last edited:
Don't get all defensive m8, I didn't say I could name better I said that I wasn't a fan.

I'm not defensive, I didnt even post it, I just wanted to hear how you would improve it. I dont think anyone is a 'fan' of it but it's the situation we are in.

sounds like stagg will be named in centres. hopefully kahu comes in late.

I'd improve it by swapping Kahu and Oates. It's only a matter of time until Oates is exposed in defence on the wing...and Kahu has already been exposed in defence in the centres a few times.

David Stagg in the centres. FFS this will be fun. Jordan Drew out for Jordan Kahu.

Team List:
  1. Hoffman
  2. Oates
  3. Reed
  4. Stagg
  5. Kahu
  6. Prince
  7. Hunt
  8. Hannant
  9. McCullough
  10. McGuire
  11. Thaiday
  12. Gillett
  13. Parker
  14. Wallace
  15. Lui
  16. Tasi
  17. Slyney
  18. Anderson
  19. J Wallace

Fair enough.

Drew is still young and has plenty to learn. Without a class centre inside him like Hodges, it would have been a huge risk to play him again.

I guess it's not really a surprise. Stagg and Kahu will probably swap in attack.

What? Put the second row / centre on the wing and winger at centre in attack why exactly

I'd take Maranta back over playing Stagg in the centres.

That's fine Beads.

Different philosophies obviously and others will say Maranta's form was too big a detriment to the side.

There isn't much Hook could have done.

I agree he is stuck between a rock and a hard place. Stagg is just so bloody slow. Hopefully it pays off. I'm glad the Eels don't have a star centre although Hayne will no doubt target our right hand side.

Stagg is actually a pretty smart footballer. He can create a bit of space and draw a man if required.

God this season has been rough. There was something niggling inside me that knew the "Stagg Solution" would be on the table at some point this season.

Why the hell does Hook persist with Lui? God he adds nothing but a hole in the defensive line after 5 minutes on the field.

Stagg is actually a pretty smart footballer. He can create a bit of space and draw a man if required.

He would, but I think he'll spend most of the time on the wing in attack, purely because of the "better attacker should be playing centre" mentality.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• eggstar10
  • MrTickyMcG
  • Sproj
  • Fozz
  • Harry Sack
  • lynx000
  • Mighty Bronx
  • ivanhungryjak
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.