Round 23 - Broncos vs. Eels - Pre Match Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Eels are specials. We rarely play well against them and tend to find a way to lose.

Remember we pushed the Storm pretty hard without Hodges. All the good work done on the left was created by the halves, there's not much that Norman did that Hoffman can't do, except that Hoffman does have the speed to get through a gap if it presents itself (where Norman just thought he could).
Sorry mate, as much as I love Hoffman, he can't kick, time himself or throw a pass like Norman (when he did decide to do it of course). He's a fantastic fullback in our own half, not so much in the opposition's half...

Is Copley any chance of being back this season?

Sorry mate, as much as I love Hoffman, he can't kick, time himself or throw a pass like Norman (when he did decide to do it of course). He's a fantastic fullback in our own half, not so much in the opposition's half...
Of course the cynical here would point to the fact that with Norman in the team we could barely score points inside the opposition 20 metre zone and we have now looked far more attacking with him gone.
I am one of the cynical and glad to see the back of him

Of course the cynical here would point to the fact that with Norman in the team we could barely score points inside the opposition 20 metre zone and we have now looked far more attacking with him gone.
I am one of the cynical and glad to see the back of him
Don't get me wrong, I am glad to see the back of him too. Nothing shits me more than a player who doesn't put 100% effort in everything he does, shuns the dirty work, and more often than not chooses the individual highlight instead of playing for the team.

Fact is, Hoffman offers too little in attack from the fullback position, and that is a real pity!

I'd rather give Hoffman a proper opportunity sans Hodges to show improvement.

He's only really had the one opportunity last week and that was far from ideal.

Last edited:
Don't get me wrong, I am glad to see the back of him too. Nothing shits me more than a player who doesn't put 100% effort in everything he does, shuns the dirty work, and more often than not chooses the individual highlight instead of playing for the team.

Fact is, Hoffman offers too little in attack from the fullback position, and that is a real pity!

Its up to prince and hunt to utilise hoffman as a ball runner then. A fullback doesn't need to be the second 5/8th. Let the halves create some gaps for hoffman to run into.

Its up to prince and hunt to utilise hoffman as a ball runner then. A fullback doesn't need to be the second 5/8th. Let the halves create some gaps for hoffman to run into.

Well, you need someone to act as a 5/8th to be a complete side. That's generally a fullback or maybe a 2nd rower when you have split halves. We've got a prop on the right side and Gillett on the other, who seems more interested in running the ball himself too.

We'll be right. No offence, but you guys are getting a bit worked up.

Like BP said, give Hoffman a chance. At the very least he can run a good line - He's strong, fast and has a good fend. I'll accept that he can't throw that final pass if it means he catches every bomb put up to him and makes almost 200m a game. He constantly puts our sets on the front foot with his kick returns and takes some hard meters at times for us.

I really think he can develop a passing game and at the moment, he's definitely and infinitely our best option at Fullback.

Well, yeah, everyone knows Hoffman is our only real option right now. He shouldn't be our long term fullback, but I prefer him to Norman right now for sure.

We'll be right. No offence, but you guys are getting a bit worked up.

Like BP said, give Hoffman a chance. At the very least he can run a good line - He's strong, fast and has a good fend. I'll accept that he can't throw that final pass if it means he catches every bomb put up to him and makes almost 200m a game. He constantly puts our sets on the front foot with his kick returns and takes some hard meters at times for us.

I really think he can develop a passing game and at the moment, he's definitely and infinitely our best option at Fullback.

Hoffman is a ball runner, and a damn good one and his place is in the centres or wing. Yes, he is our best FB option atm, but like Alec posted, not for the long term.

(Mind you, I still cringe at the memory of the hit(s) he took from Inglis)

I can't think of any of the top sides who don't have a ball playing FB. It adds that extra dimension in attack which a side needs to compete with the best.

For the rest of this season, barring an unexpected development in Hoffa's game, we are missing an important attacking weapon irrespective of his otherwise massive contribution to the team, as others rightly describe.

For us to win the next 4 games, our halves and hopefully Hannant, Parker and even McGuire must serve up some good quality ball which gets to our outside runners, and for mine, Gillett can be a match winner for us if the game plan makes use of his skills out wide, or on the edges running angles.

If nothing else, I'd like to think Gillett can make up more than a little of what we have lost with Hodges out.

Last edited:
I can't think of any of the top sides who don't have a ball playing FB. It adds that extra dimension in attack which a side needs to compete with the best.

There are the Roosters, but they make up for it by having SBW be their best ball player.

Hoffman is a ball runner, and a damn good one and his place is in the centres or wing. Yes, he is our best FB option atm, but like Alec posted, not for the long term.

(Mind you, I still cringe at the memory of the hit(s) he took from Inglis)

For the rest of this season, barring an unexpected development in Hoffa's game, we are missing an important attacking weapon irrespective of his otherwise massive contribution to the team, as others rightly describe.

For us to win the next 4 games, our halves and hopefully Hannant, Parker and even McGuire must serve up some good quality ball which gets to our outside runners, and for mine, Gillett can be a match winner for us if the game plan makes use of his skills out wide, or on the edges running angles.

If nothing else, I'd like to think Gillett can make up more than a little of what we have lost with Hodges out.

Agreed for the most part. If we get Barba for next year, he'll obviously be our first coice Fullback, but then where do you play Hoffman? With Hodges out, I'd like to see him play Centre and put Kahu and possibly Copley onto the wings.

Having said all that, his ability to finish tries on the wing is exceptional. He has some of the best tries we've seen all season on the wing outside Reed, so it would be a tough decision to make for the Coach. Kahu could possibly do a job at Centre for us next season, and who knows, he might make a good centre.

If we sign a fullback i'd be putting Hoffman straight back on the wing.

His combination with Reed this year has been outstanding and his finishing for his try's has been world class. Not sure after his performances this year why we would be talking about him playing centre. Not a fan of weakening one position in the hope of strengthening another.

Last edited:
Yeah, Reed and Hoffman on the left, Copley and Kahu on the right. If Yow Yeh makes a successful comeback, it'll probably be on the left wing/centre where he can step off his left foot . Then Hoffman moves to the right, and the better performer between Copley and Kahu stays with him.

Of course, he is also definitely and infinitely our best option on the wing

When is that cloning thing happening?

Copley is a centre, not a winger. He'll do a job out there, but Copley should always beat Hoffman for the right centre spot, as opposed to Hoffman always beating Copley for the left wing spot.

If we do get Barba and Milford, this is the backline I'd run out with, at least until Yow Yeh is fit and capable:

1- Barba
2- Hoffman
3- Reed
4- Copley
5- Kahu
6- Milford
7- Hunt

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• Morkel
  • Midean
  • GCBRONCO
  • Mr Fourex
  • Waynesaurus
  • Sproj
  • lynx000
  • broncoscope
  • KateBroncos1812
  • sooticus
  • Big Del
  • Mister Wright
  • Wolfie
  • Broncosarethebest
  • Socnorb
  • Behind enemy lines
  • Bucking Beads
  • Old Mate
  • Tmac
... and 4 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.