Errors

Player Stats

# T Pts TA LB TB OFF Ta MT IT Pos DR K KM M E P
# T Pts TA LB TB OFF Ta MT IT Pos DR K KM M E P

animal eater

animal eater

QCup Player
Jul 27, 2013
The rookie looked good but let's not forget that we need Kahu in that side and in that position for the simple fact that Corey Parker can not be our first choice kicker period. Sure it's high fives and rightfully so for a game that saw a great improvement in energy but don't get carried away as it was against an a side that was minus it's top three players. My point being is Corey Parker will lose us more games with the boot than win and it is a problem that must stop now before the playoffs. I think Corey is retiring at the right time.

Stix

Stix

NRL Player
Mar 28, 2014
The rookie looked good but let's not forget that we need Kahu in that side and in that position for the simple fact that Corey Parker can not be our first choice kicker period. Sure it's high fives and rightfully so for a game that saw a great improvement in energy but don't get carried away as it was against an a side that was minus it's top three players. My point being is Corey Parker will lose us more games with the boot than win and it is a problem that must stop now before the playoffs. I think Corey is retiring at the right time.

We have Kahu, but I see Milf as our long term kicker... Although he wasn't much chop last night

Stix

Stix

NRL Player
Mar 28, 2014
I think Glenn has found a home on the bench. Thaiday's been doing a good job next to Milford and I'm starting to see a bit of combination develop between them. Thaiday is pretty talented with ball in hand and it doesn't really get used up in the front row, but I'm sure now that he's back on an edge he'll be able to free either Milford, Opacic or Oates with some subtle slight of hand.

Glenn's not really big enough in my opinion to be starting, but when he comes off the bench, he's leg speed and drive really adds a spark. He won't neccessarily come up with a huge Taumalolo like run, but he's been effective at testing tiring forwards with his agility and footwork. He can really worry the opposition with a few changes of direction and can get our halves moving forward after a solid charge and a quick play the ball. He's defence is also good enough to keep our defence tight when our starting forwards are interchanged. I think we've got a nice balance of youth and experience in key positions and I think the team dynamics are better with Glenn on the bench.

Thaiday has been running some vintage lines too, he's made a couple of good runs against the grain and with a quick play the ball sets up the next few tackles with a very unsettled defence. Good signs. And you're on the money re Glenn, he is fresh off the bench and can make great impact, he has broken the line a couple of times and looked dangerous and his defence has been top notch of late

winslow_wong

winslow_wong

International Captain
May 27, 2013
It's a shame Thaiday has been wasted at prop for so many years.

rnabokov

rnabokov

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008
I'd rather Kahu at left centre and Pearson on the wing. Pearson to me looks like he has something special about him. I thought his tries on debut were terrific. He's a great mover and I would love to see him keep his spot on the wing for the rest of the season.

While I like Opacic, I am reminded of someone who posted earlier somewhere that Opacic looks like Jack Reed Mk 2. I feel the same. He does the job, I haven't seen anything really special from him and, I am not having a go at him, but last night, he missed 5 tackles and was partly responsible for an Eels try.

For mine Kahu is a class player, a great attacking and defending centre and can kick goals which last night was a real issue for me - 2/8 - and will be a real issue for the team in the upcoming weeks.

I also thought Milf, while so so good, is definitely on the portly side but then with a performance like that, meh. Stil ....

Overall, I was so impressed with the energy and enthusiasm and drive - just like last year - that secret ingredient has returned.

winslow_wong

winslow_wong

International Captain
May 27, 2013
We need to keep developing opacic though because kahu will most likely play half a season.

LittleDavey

LittleDavey

NRL Captain
Mar 25, 2013
Not much to say that hasn't been said, but for me the most pleasing thing was to see the team playing as that again - a team. Turning up for each other. Playing with energy - the hunger was back. Still a lot of improvement is needed, but I think all the other teams in the comp sat up a bit straighter after that effort lastnight. Very very good signs, and at the right time of year. I don't think we will get to the big dance, but I will be very disappointed if we don't at least give it a shake.

Bulldogs are beatable next week if our forwards play like they did tonight. Storm the following week will be tough but I have a feeling it will define our season; my greatest fear is it has the potential to derail the momentum we're building at the moment. A win, however, and we're a real threat. A good win, and I would nearly go so far as to hope that we can win it...

Swazii

Swazii

Jul 23, 2016
This was the performance that got the team to the Grand final last year.. if they can back it up and produce it again against the dogs and win convincingly the other teams will be looking over their shoulders worried..

Son Edo

Son Edo

NRL Player
Sep 14, 2011
That second half was so enjoyable to watch. Some of those tries were 2015-esque.

rnabokov

rnabokov

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008
Is it just me or did Milf look, ah, portly.... pudgy.... chubby.... whatever, in the change room after the match?

Don't get me wrong, his plays, his steps, his running were just so so good yet I wonder, if he dropped a few kilos just how much more faster and more agile yet he could be?

(Maybe I just have bad big Barba memories barking in my brain....)

Cult

Cult

International Rep
Contributor
Oct 17, 2013
Anyone else remember talking about how fat Milford was last year too? Does it even matter anymore?

mitch222

mitch222

State of Origin Captain
Apr 4, 2014
I'd rather Kahu at left centre and Pearson on the wing. Pearson to me looks like he has something special about him. I thought his tries on debut were terrific. He's a great mover and I would love to see him keep his spot on the wing for the rest of the season.

While I like Opacic, I am reminded of someone who posted earlier somewhere that Opacic looks like Jack Reed Mk 2. I feel the same. He does the job, I haven't seen anything really special from him and, I am not having a go at him, but last night, he missed 5 tackles and was partly responsible for an Eels try.

For mine Kahu is a class player, a great attacking and defending centre and can kick goals which last night was a real issue for me - 2/8 - and will be a real issue for the team in the upcoming weeks.

I also thought Milf, while so so good, is definitely on the portly side but then with a performance like that, meh. Stil ....

Overall, I was so impressed with the energy and enthusiasm and drive - just like last year - that secret ingredient has returned.

I think you need to watch the cowboys game earlier this year re Kahus defence at centre

rnabokov

rnabokov

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008
I think you need to watch the cowboys game earlier this year re Kahus defence at centre

Yep, not one of his better games. Same for Opacic last night.

I rate Kahu as a class centre and a bad game now and then doesn't change my thinking. Same goes for Hunt, Milford, Gillett, Parker and the rest of the whole team.

Bottom line for me is centre or wing, I'll be glad to see him in the side but centre is where I would like to see him.

Super Freak

Super Freak

International Captain
Forum Staff
Jan 25, 2014

To be fair, Opacic hasn't exactly shown he is much better.

The tackles around the legs close to the line might work in the ISC, but the NRL is a whole other level. The skill level is higher.

He needs to stop doing it so close to the line otherwise eventually a quality player is going to make him pay for it with an offload or just reaching out and scoring.

The first rule to tackling around the legs, bring the player down to the ground and hold the **** on. He failed to do that a few times last night. If it wasn't for a cover defender being there to jump on the player, it could have been ugly for us.

I couldn't care if it he does it in the middle of the field, but when the player is in our 20, get him around the torso and wrap up the ball.

They can't run without their legs, but they can still offload.

Last edited:
B

bb_gun

NRL Player
Contributor
Apr 23, 2013
To be fair, Opacic hasn't exactly shown he is much better.

The tackles around the legs close to the line might work in the ISC, but the NRL is a whole other level. The skill level is higher.

He needs to stop doing it so close to the line otherwise eventually a quality player is going to make him pay for it with an offload or just reaching out and scoring.

The first rule to tackling around the legs, bring the player down to the ground and hold the **** on. He failed to do that a few times last night. If it wasn't for a cover defender being there to jump on the player, it could have been ugly for us.

I couldn't care if it he does it in the middle of the field, but when the player is in our 20, get him around the torso and wrap up the ball.

They can't run without their legs, but they can still offload.

I could be wrong but weren't a lot of those "around the legs" tackles against Ma'u? Certainly not the easiest player to bring down at the best of times so I think that strategy worked well on this occasion. I agree he does tend to do it a bit too often but for the moment it's working.

Super Freak

Super Freak

International Captain
Forum Staff
Jan 25, 2014
With some people saying this win means nothing because it's the Eels and they were missing key players and had nothing to play for.

I'm curious, does this mean those same people are going to write off the 2010 and 2015 win against the Storm as well?

In 2010, they were missing Smith and had absolutely nothing to play for.

In 2015, they were missing Cronk and Slater.

Last edited:
winslow_wong

winslow_wong

International Captain
May 27, 2013
With some people saying this win means nothing because it's the Eels and they were missing key players and had nothing to play for.

I'm curious, does this mean those same people are going to write off the 2010 and 2015 win against the Storm as well?

In 2010, they were missing Smith and had absolutely nothing to play for.

In 2015, they were missing Cronk and Slater.

Let's see them back it up next week first. Our last big win was against the rabbits (another poo team) and we all thought the boys had turned it around only to get embarrassed the week after.

I think we're all a bit tentative to get excited again. A win against the dogs will be something to cheer about though!

Active Now

• Foordy
  • HarryAllan7
  • Xzei
  • GCBRONCO
  • johnyE
  • davidp
  • Bucking Beads
  • Santa
  • ChewThePhatt
  • mitch222
  • Galah
  • FaceOfMutiny
  • Big Del
  • KateBroncos1812
  • Porthoz
... and 3 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.