Round 3 - Broncos v Roosters - Post Match Discussion

N

nopatience101

NRL Captain
Mar 4, 2008
If we just landed those kicks from touch and eliminated basic mistakes from our game we would've won.

Positives

- Defence was really solid and a major improvement. The Roosters rarely broke through and the majority of their points was off the back of errors by us

- Halves are improving but I would still give Milford a spot over either of them. Hunt was outstanding but was let down by bad service at dummy half

- Coming up against the defending premiers and world club champions we gave them a real run for their money and they only squeaked home

- The team is improving as whole. Everyone seems to be enjoying themselves and look fitter and more committed to the cause

- David Hala should play as most minutes as possible. He was a real handful tonight

- We are playing well above expectations and proving the critics wrong. If someone said after the debacle in Dunedin that we would be in this position after Round 3 that would've been a adventurous prediction

Negatives

- We lost a game we should've won. We received more penalties, had more possession, had a better completion rate, made more meters, more offloads and missed lesser tackles than our opponents

- We need to eliminate basic mistakes out of our game which let us down tonight
I wouldn't go that far, they put points on basically every time they had a set on our line. Caught thin out wide all night and that moa try was about as ordinary as you will see.

Rally Towel

Rally Towel

NRL Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2014
If we just landed those kicks from touch and eliminated basic mistakes from our game we would've won.

Positives

- Defence was really solid and a major improvement. The Roosters rarely broke through and the majority of their points was off the back of errors by us

- Halves are improving but I would still give Milford a spot over either of them. Hunt was outstanding but was let down by bad service at dummy half

- Coming up against the defending premiers and world club champions we gave them a real run for their money and they only squeaked home

- The team is improving as whole. Everyone seems to be enjoying themselves and look fitter and more committed to the cause

- David Hala should play as most minutes as possible. He was a real handful tonight

- We are playing well above expectations and proving the critics wrong. If someone said after the debacle in Dunedin that we would be in this position after Round 3 that would've been a adventurous prediction

Negatives

- We lost a game we should've won. We received more penalties, had more possession, had a better completion rate, made more meters, more offloads and missed lesser tackles than our opponents

- We need to eliminate basic mistakes out of our game which let us down tonight

Pretty much bang on across the board here.

Only caveats I'd add:

- Our defence through the middle was solid, but they did make us look foolish out wide. Granted they have a lot of weapons on the fringes (RTS, Too-poo, Jennings, Cordner, etc). Few teams can take advantage of that shortcoming like the Roosters, and it's an entirely fixable aspect of our play.

- I'm not sure how many minutes Hala should be playing. Not sure how many he got, but that much mass requires a lot of oxygen. Overplay him and he can become a liability. Felt like the balance was right tonight (though the quality of most of his runs may have coloured how long I thought he was on for).

Kimlo

Kimlo

International Captain
Senior Staff
Apr 26, 2008
Roosters way too good

Whatever mate, you really keep posting shit because you can't cop giving Griffin credit.

What happened to Roosters by 30? If Parker kicked the same percentage as Maloney we would have won by 2. So much for 80 minutes...

Kimlo

Kimlo

International Captain
Senior Staff
Apr 26, 2008
If you actually think Roosters were "way too good", then you're delusional. And if you really do think that, why not back it up with some actual logic for why you think so? I can make claims like Cronulla will win the premiership but doesn't mean it's true.

Cult

Cult

International Rep
Contributor
Oct 17, 2013
Does this make Reed the person who should be worried about Hodges return? His defense was our only negative tonight, oh and Hoffmans inability to pass most of the time. If those two things were different, we win that game 40-6.

ningnangnong

ningnangnong

HACK THE PLANET!!!
Forum Staff
Mar 5, 2008
I'm really proud of the effort and many facets of the performance, but also frustrated and gutted at the same time.

We should have won that. We were definitely the better team in my mind, but continually let the Roosters back into it with silly mistakes. Nearly every time we scored, or turned momentum in our favour, we basically handed it straight back with an error. Extremely frustrating.

Ben Hunt was majestic. Delighted for the fella. What a performance.

Hala's run off that drop-out was the greatest thing I've ever seen, and although I'm not a fan of Ray Hadley, his commentary for that moment was pretty damn spot on! Runaway XPT train summed it up perfectly haha.

ningnangnong

ningnangnong

HACK THE PLANET!!!
Forum Staff
Mar 5, 2008
Guyz, I think cammac likes playing up to the 'I never give the Broncos credit' persona you all expect of him.

Socnorb

Socnorb

NRL Captain
Contributor
Aug 5, 2013
Baiting

Last edited by a moderator:
ningnangnong

ningnangnong

HACK THE PLANET!!!
Forum Staff
Mar 5, 2008
Quoted a deleted post

Last edited by a moderator:
Rally Towel

Rally Towel

NRL Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2014
Does this make Reed the person who should be worried about Hodges return? His defense was our only negative tonight, oh and Hoffmans inability to pass most of the time. If those two things were different, we win that game 40-6.

Realistically, you'd hope so. Despite his commitment to the cause, he's our weakest option at centre (provided Copley maintains current form).

Just think : if Kahu comes back and is at least equal to Hoffman in the halves with Vidot, Copley, Hodges and the Hoff (if it is not beneath him) in the 3/4 line? Yes please.

Active Now

• ell.d33
  • Wolfie
  • broncsgoat
  • Foordy
  • Fozz
  • Fatboy
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.