PRE-GAME Round 3 - Broncos vs Bulldogs

vs

Kickoff In:

Thursday
Morning
10:00

Team Lists

Agree it seems like a strange move and one I'm definitely not a fan of. Unless he goes and plays at least 60 minutes of half back in either this game or the south's game I'm not a fan.

I'd prefer deardon in halfback and croft in the utlilty role. I almost think croft could be similar to hunt when we came into the 14 role at the start of his career. He has a serviceable kicking game, has some good pace and can throw a half decent ball.

This is a bold move by kevie for sure. Especially with Oates and Paix in reserve as options.

I thought similar about him pulling up early during the first half.

re tackling. I realise that in todays game, it doesn't matter about a small man missing tackles against large backrowers running at him. He's playing first grade ...he's expected to make every tackle.

I'm assuming we all recall that Darren Lockyer also struggled big time when he moved from the fullback position to the front line when he switched to no.6. In some ways he was worse than Milford. I'm pretty sure that Bennett circumvented that for the most part by planting Toni Carrol near to Locky. That gave the opposition forwads something to think about......and served as cover for Locky.

I can't recall us ever trying a similar tactic for Milford....?

Gillette? Before his neck injury

I wouldn't necessarily class this as a Seibold move exactly as many coaches do similar things.

Bennett has regularly named an outside back on the bench
Bellamy tends to carry a fullback on the bench (i.e. Hynes and Paps before him)
Hook had Hunt on the bench for years
etc.

I do hope that should Dearden play limited minutes, that he goes and plays for Souths Logan as well.

I wouldn't necessarily class this as a Seibold move exactly as many coaches do similar things.

Bennett has regularly named an outside back on the bench
Bellamy tends to carry a fullback on the bench (i.e. Hynes and Paps before him)
Hook had Hunt on the bench for years
etc.

I do hope that should Dearden play limited minutes, that he goes and plays for Souths Logan as well.
The strategy isn't exclusive to Seibold but we're talking the exact same players he had in the exact same situation Seibs found himself in. If you can remember, the halves faced similar criticism after they failed to set up a single try against Newcastle despite a stack of possession in the second half. There were calls for Dearden to come in and instead of going the whole hog, Seibs brought him onto the bench as a compromise.

The critical difference between those situations is that the coaches rarely find themselves under the amount of pressure the Broncos are currently facing. Typically they have the 16 players they can rely on and the 17th is merely there as back-up or a way to blood the talent. Dearden has played 17 games of first grade, he doesn't need to be blooded and he doesn't need experience at dummy half.

Some fans have come around on Ben Hunt playing the utility role. I didn't mind it as an option for 2010-11, but after 33 games, they should have concentrated on his game as a halfback. I even think 33 games was over-kill and should have been more like 20.

The strategy isn't exclusive to Seibold but we're talking the exact same players he had in the exact same situation Seibs found himself in. If you can remember, the halves faced similar criticism after they failed to set up a single try against Newcastle despite a stack of possession in the second half. There were calls for Dearden to come in and instead of going the whole hog, Seibs brought him onto the bench as a compromise.

The critical difference between those situations is that the coaches rarely find themselves under the amount of pressure the Broncos are currently facing. Typically they have the 16 players they can rely on and the 17th is merely there as back-up or a way to blood the talent. Dearden has played 17 games of first grade, he doesn't need to be blooded and he doesn't need experience at dummy half.

Some fans have come around on Ben Hunt playing the utility role. I didn't mind it as an option for 2010-11, but after 33 games, they should have concentrated on his game as a halfback. I even think 33 games was over-kill and should have been more like 20.
I don't feel like Dearden in this game will be a token appearance off the bench. I feel like Kevvie is drawing from his origin playbook where Hunt, Ponga, etc. played that ball playing middle forward role. I would say Dearden is there to play that role rather than a token 15mins at DH to give Turps a break.

We still haven't really been able to see how Kevvie intends to use that 14 utility through an entire 80. For whatever reason Asiata played bugger all minutes last week (I think he came off at half time so potentially he was worried about his neck) and he was injured in Rd 1. However in round 1 when Asiata was on the field there was a clear intent to spread the ball early and get our centers 1v1 on the opposition. Herbie's break for Mead is a prime example where Milf popped up on the left (in the typical fullback role), but it had gone through Croft, Isaako and Asiata before it got to Milf and then Herbie.

I feel like Kevvie wants that extra playmaker in the middle of the field... Asiata may genuinely be getting that rest and Dearden is robust enough to defend in the middle, which makes him that next best option as a ball playing lock.

I feel like he could get 30mins or so, potentially at some point he may spell Turps (he's looked buggered), but I think Kevvie primarily wants him there as that ball playing lock, which he can't currently get from Carrigan or TPJ.

**** knows. The last 5 seasons have been a blur of turds

... and once, just once for a refreshing change, I'd like to see Milford chase his own kicks.

Edit: missed your post @theshed - spot on
Probably why he bombs it so often. Can sit back and hope someone else will contest it.

I have to agree with you theshed, the decision to have Dearden come onto the bench seems straight out of the Seibold playbook. In fact, that's exactly what he did last year against similar opposition and both teams it blew up in his face.

At least on that occasion, it made some sense since Dearden was coming in after playing virtually no football and they were must-win games, so easing him into the game as opposed to dumping all that pressure on him made sense. Plus the dummy halves stocks were that low he had little choice, it was down to Dearden or Hetherington.

Dearden should have been the 7 from the start, with Croft as back-up. Now they're making these half-hearted selections in do or die games where key players are being asked to play out of position. Hopefully, the game doesn't come down to a relief hooker but right now I have no faith in this team.
The third game of a 26 game season is do or die? I know I don't see a lot of posters who have me blocked but am I reading this statement correctly?

All caught up now, been asleep all day. Great stuff. Loving Dearden in for Asiata who was injured in the Titans match. I didn't think I'd see him named this week after watching him closely at the game. I was surprised but now that Deardens there instead I think this is so much better.

We are down our two starting props but I like the balance of the team now. If KW doesn't **** up the prop rotation this week I think we'll go great guns. Extra confident now. Have to see what the new odds are.

The third game of a 26 game season is do or die? I know I don't see a lot of posters who have me blocked but am I reading this statement correctly?
24 and in the context of where they are as a club this is one of those games they have to win. Home game against an opposition that's in a similar place as them, if they can't get themselves into the season here it's going to be a long year.

Will this Covid case have any impact on tomorrow night's game going ahead?

I don't feel like Dearden in this game will be a token appearance off the bench. I feel like Kevvie is drawing from his origin playbook where Hunt, Ponga, etc. played that ball playing middle forward role. I would say Dearden is there to play that role rather than a token 15mins at DH to give Turps a break.

We still haven't really been able to see how Kevvie intends to use that 14 utility through an entire 80. For whatever reason Asiata played bugger all minutes last week (I think he came off at half time so potentially he was worried about his neck) and he was injured in Rd 1. However in round 1 when Asiata was on the field there was a clear intent to spread the ball early and get our centers 1v1 on the opposition. Herbie's break for Mead is a prime example where Milf popped up on the left (in the typical fullback role), but it had gone through Croft, Isaako and Asiata before it got to Milf and then Herbie.

I feel like Kevvie wants that extra playmaker in the middle of the field... Asiata may genuinely be getting that rest and Dearden is robust enough to defend in the middle, which makes him that next best option as a ball playing lock.

I feel like he could get 30mins or so, potentially at some point he may spell Turps (he's looked buggered), but I think Kevvie primarily wants him there as that ball playing lock, which he can't currently get from Carrigan or TPJ.
I'm only going off of reports but it seems like he'll be the back-up dummy half according the journos and Kev.

I might be alone on this as well, but I thought the Ponga experiment ended up backfiring. Kalyn made the most of it and nearly broke the game open, but his introduction affected the Maroons defence and they started playing too laterally which invited NSW back into the game after the Maroons hot start. I don't recall Hunt ever playing there under Kev, I remember Morgan played a few games and was largely ineffective there.

I don't want to go too hard on it because sometimes these selections end up working out for all the wrong reasons but it does seem like a desperate move from Kev.

Will this Covid case have any impact on tomorrow night's game going ahead?

Can't see it. I guess if we get a few related cases before the game they may ban crowds, but I can't see the game not going ahead. I'm sure Flanagan mentioned in the Souths game that the Dogs went into an immediate covid bubble once the news broke.

Active Now

• Broncorob
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Sproj
  • Fozz
  • Brotherdu
  • Spike
  • Poisoy
  • Xzei
  • NSW stables
  • Locky's Left Boot
  • heartly87
  • LittleDavey
  • Allo
  • thenry
  • TonyTheJugoslav
  • porouian
  • pennywisealfie
  • Broncosgirl
  • broncsgoat
... and 44 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.