PRE-GAME Round 4 - Broncos vs Titans

vs

Kickoff In:

Thursday
Morning
10:00

Team Lists

People were also saying Marshall was holding Milford back when he was handling the playmaking duties, Milford was ordinary last season and I'm willing to cut him some slack given the shoulder injury he was carrying. I'm happy for Milford to focus mainly on his running game and provide a kicking game when needed but that means he needs to deliver on that too, but you need also a 7 who is capable of handling the responsibilities of directing around his forwards and backs, barking out orders and taking lead with kicking and decision making as a playmaker.

There lies the problem, Milford and Kodi are just too alike in what they bring to the table and of the two I would only really consider Milford at present bringing anything else then a running game to the table and that is being generous. We may have to live with that for 2018, but if the Broncos are serious about being competition contenders they need to bring in someone who can bring more to the table in those areas we seriously lack.
What are our stocks like with quality between darg, scar and murph?

What are our stocks like with quality between darg, scar and murph?

Pretty much as you'd expect when your 3 backups haven't played an NRL game and were signed from other clubs that obviously didn't think they were first grade standard halves.

From the little I've watched of them I would say Scarlett would compliment Milford the best, strong short kicking game and doesn't have a bad dummy & run on him either.

I think it would immediately make our team better personally. Put Niko back on the bench, he's still valuable as a bench impact player.

Pretty much as you'd expect when your 3 backups haven't played an NRL game and were signed from other clubs that obviously didn't think they were first grade standard halves.

From the little I've watched of them I would say Scarlett would compliment Milford the best, strong short kicking game and doesn't have a bad dummy & run on him either.

I think it would immediately make our team better personally. Put Niko back on the bench, he's still valuable as a bench impact player.
Dargan is our best hope I think. Parra were not happy to see him go (not the best endorsement I know), and he's got the most potential of the lot, from the little I've seen of him.

Dargan is our best hope I think. Parra were not happy to see him go (not the best endorsement I know), and he's got the most potential of the lot, from the little I've seen of him.

Nikorima also has potential, I'm sick of potential.

As I was saying, I think Scarlett would make our team immediately better, Dargan has very little, if any, experience against men. Scarlett has been playing & improving against men for a few years.

Nikorima also has potential, I'm sick of potential.

As I was saying, I think Scarlett would make our team immediately better, Dargan has very little, if any, experience against men. Scarlett has been playing & improving against men for a few years.
Yes, you need experienced and seasoned men in your team, but without talent and ability, it will only take you so far.

Potential is not a dirty word, like some people here like to think, and is often the only thing good observers have to determine whether a player can flourish in the NRL or not. Even ISC players with a wealth of experience need to display potential (read said talent and ability) to even be considered.

Scarlett has proven absolutely nothing at NRL level, and is as much of an unknown as Dargan, albeit for different reasons.
One does have more experience against men, but is quickly becoming a journey man only good enough for ISC level, and has not displayed any improvement on his limited skill set (in relation to the competition level we're talking about of course). I doubt he would bring more to the table than Nikorima to be honest...
The other has no experience against men, but does have the right kind of talent and ability for a position we desperately need filled, and while he may not deliver, there's a good chance he could!

Yes, you need experienced and seasoned men in your team, but without talent and ability, it will only take you so far.

Potential is not a dirty word, like some people here like to think, and is often the only thing good observers have to determine whether a player can flourish in the NRL or not. Even ISC players with a wealth of experience need to display potential (read said talent and ability) to even be considered.

Scarlett is 23 years old and has shown good talent with the boot from what I've seen, relative to the other Halfback options we have at the moment.

Scarlett has proven absolutely nothing at NRL level, and is as much of an unknown as Dargan, albeit for different reasons.
One does have more experience against men, but is quickly becoming a journey man only good enough for ISC level, and has not displayed any improvement on his limited skill set (in relation to the competition level we're talking about of course). I doubt he would bring more to the table than Nikorima to be honest...
The other has no experience against men, but does have the right kind of talent and ability for a position we desperately need filled, and while he may not deliver, there's a good chance he could!

How can Scarlett be a journeyman if he's a 23 year old who's never played in the NRL? Think you might need to look in to what that term means. The only other club he has played for was the Panthers in the NSW Cup where he was plagued with injuries. "He has not displayed any improvement on his limited skill set"? May I ask how many full games of Sam Scarlett you've watched between 2016 & now? Not that I've watched many myself, just trying to get an understanding of how you know this, to say that with such confidence I'm guessing you must've watched at least 10-15 games of him in that time frame.

Also, have you ever watch Troy Dargan or are you basing this solely on a YouTube highlight reel and what a few Parra fans have said on a forum? Honestly not even trying to be a smart ass about this one, genuinely curious how you know every strength, weakness, floor & ceiling of all of our rarely televised depth halves.

I like Kodi a lot, and I am happy to give him more time. I think he could turn out to be a pretty good half... but I just can't see him complimenting Milford without a Smith or an Ennis at hooker.

I think you’re all forgetting one relatively important fact.

Wayne seems to like Nikorima and appears to be sticking with him so far as he keeps naming him.

While he does, it doesn’t matter what options we all like and don’t like...

Wayne seems to like Nikorima and appears to be sticking with him so far as he keeps naming him.

true ... doesn't mean we can't give our opinion on that selection (or any other he makes)

Winning the last two games has saved Niko, an 0-3 start and he is in big trouble but as long they are winning, then Bennett can afford to keep using him and hoping he will come good (he won't). If the Broncos endure a losing streak this year (which is a giant possibility considering their tough schedule), then Kodi will be the first guy dropped.

Scarlett is 23 years old and has shown good talent with the boot from what I've seen, relative to the other Halfback options we have at the moment.

How can Scarlett be a journeyman if he's a 23 year old who's never played in the NRL? Think you might need to look in to what that term means. The only other club he has played for was the Panthers in the NSW Cup where he was plagued with injuries. "He has not displayed any improvement on his limited skill set"? May I ask how many full games of Sam Scarlett you've watched between 2016 & now? Not that I've watched many myself, just trying to get an understanding of how you know this, to say that with such confidence I'm guessing you must've watched at least 10-15 games of him in that time frame.

Also, have you ever watch Troy Dargan or are you basing this solely on a YouTube highlight reel and what a few Parra fans have said on a forum? Honestly not even trying to be a smart ass about this one, genuinely curious how you know every strength, weakness, floor & ceiling of all of our rarely televised depth halves.
As I did mention, I didn't see much of either, but I definitely know better than to judge players by their highlight reels, otherwise I would be an unconditional fan of Nikorima.

I judge both players on about 4 or 5 complete games I've seen of both. By all means not a significant sample, and none of them this season, but enough to make a choice between a 23 y/old who can't seem to rise above in the lower grade (hence my reasoning of him being in the process of becoming a journeyman), and a 20 y/old who was killing it and displaying all the right skills we need, even if only in the U20's.

Has Dargan actually been killing it? From my understanding, he's the type of player we need, only not particularly talented.

everyone is debating the reason why, no quality backup ??

Has Dargan actually been killing it? From my understanding, he's the type of player we need, only not particularly talented.

I thought he played for nsw u20s and is highly regarded. Am sure he has a good kicking game and is a robust half that can take on the line. Hasn't had a chance to show much as i believe he did a hammy.

Well, he was the NYC halfback of the year. He is definitely talented in the skills we want, but doesn't fill highlight reels in running and weaving through defenses

everyone is debating the reason why, no quality backup ??

Wayne likes blokes who show a good attitude and put themselves out. Knik is one of them. If you give him everything Wayne will always back you and give you a fair crack of the whip. I'd say the backup options are a bit light on the ground because of us losing Hunt, missing out on Taylor and their just not being a heap of decent half backs on the market.

We have a few players who have had the chance to ask for a release and leave to play elsewhere and Wayne has refused to let them go, Nikorima is one of them. Bennett doesnt generally stand in players way either if they get good offers so the blokes he does that to obviously have his trust and backing.

1. Boyd (daddy lets me play where I want)
2. Pearson
3. Opaic
4. Roberts
5. Issako
6. Milf
7. KNik
8. Moose
9. McCullough
10. Lodge
11. Glenn
12. Sims
14. Tagateese
13. Bird (on after 30 at lock)
15. Gillo (had enough needs a message on after 25)
16. Sua
17. Offa

Risk with Opaic/Pearson side. Bird would be a little safer and a fair bit more dangerous (although Bird looks slower) but the spine desperately need Bird’s help.

AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.