vs

Kickoff In:

Thursday
Morning
10:00

Team Lists

International Rep
Apr 14, 2013
And then ???? He had one more season left, why not let him play qcup and earn a spot. Have a look at the brodie croft situation he wasn't released they saw a future in him . So they slowly brought him through, and ash is a level above imo... as for kodi , he is looking like a poor mans Milford .

Cronk was also at the end of his career. So leaving or not he was getting to the end. Croft and the Storm had a plan and Croft was waiting. Was Taylor going to wait seven years for Hunt?

If Hunt was 34 I am sure the Broncos don't release Taylor.

P

pagey

State of Origin Rep
Aug 19, 2013
Cronk was also at the end of his career. So leaving or not he was getting to the end. Croft and the Storm had a plan and Croft was waiting. Was Taylor going to wait seven years for Hunt?

If Hunt was 34 I am sure the Broncos don't release Taylor.

Yeah hindsight is a beautiful thing right! But the only reason Taylor played first grade was because of injury, same thing could've happened at the broncs. We used hunt of the bench bringing him through, why not taylor. They used kodi off the bench now he is at 7 ,why not Taylor. Now look whats happened 2 years on ?? All we needed was a year more and he could've been promised a starting position!!!

Wolfie

Wolfie

International Captain
Jan 14, 2015
It is when we want the club to succeed and in this modern age consistently match the ruthlessness of other clubs.

Wayne’s relationship with players is no doubt great, but that can’t come at the expense of performance. His job is to coach us to premierships first and foremost and I’m not sure that thinking was there when he made the decision on Taylor.

If he thought Taylor would repay the favour we did him by signing with us arguably when we needed him, well then perhaps Wayne’s relationship isn‘t as strong as he hoped as Taylor clearly didn’t sign with us, in which case we can’t rely necessarily on the strength of relationships in such situations in future because doing so is to our detriment...

I dont disagree tbh, he should be looking out for the Broncos but at the same time its part of why players want to play for him that he looks out for them. I cant really fault what he does because its the way i'd do things as well.

I dont think Taylors relationship with Bennett is any less strong because he signed with the titans. We were going to offer Taylor about 600k a year, Titans offered a million. Thats why he stayed there. I dont believe anyone in their right mind would have done anything differently

Wolfie

Wolfie

International Captain
Jan 14, 2015
And then ???? He had one more season left, why not let him play qcup and earn a spot. Have a look at the brodie croft situation he wasn't released they saw a future in him . So they slowly brought him through, and ash is a level above imo... as for kodi , he is looking like a poor mans Milford .

Who had one season left? Ash or Hunt? We got caught out more with Hunt that Taylor really, i dont think anyone expected a club to offer him a six million dollar contract.

The Croft situation was a little different as we dont really know his circumstances. Maybe he didnt want to leave, maybe he didnt get a decent enough offer to leave.

P

pagey

State of Origin Rep
Aug 19, 2013
Who had one season left? Ash or Hunt? We got caught out more with Hunt that Taylor really, i dont think anyone expected a club to offer him a six million dollar contract.

The Croft situation was a little different as we dont really know his circumstances. Maybe he didnt want to leave, maybe he didnt get a decent enough offer to leave.

Taylor had a year left , the following year hunt went downhill with big question marks after the GF. If we didn't let taylor go there was a very good chance he pushes his way in some capacity.

What's done is done but imo we could've done things differently and been in a much better position.

Accept

Accept

NRL Captain
Sep 27, 2016
Taylor had a year left , the following year hunt went downhill with big question marks after the GF. If we didn't let taylor go there was a very good chance he pushes his way in some capacity.

What's done is done but imo we could've done things differently and been in a much better position.
You don't keep someone if they are unhappy in their current situation. Taylor was making chump change with seemingly no vacancies for a considerable period at the Broncos and the Titans came along and offered a starting role and a very healthy income. Very few coaches would have denied him that opportunity. It's costing us big time now but I am definitely not blaming anyone for it, it is just one of those things. The halfback situation will eventually work itself out.

Wolfie

Wolfie

International Captain
Jan 14, 2015

Yep, no doubt we could of. Tbh, i dont think when we let go of Ash we envisaged any of the scenarios that happened after ( Hunts form loss and the huge money offered to both Hunt and Ash ).

Cult

Cult

International Rep
Contributor
Oct 17, 2013
You know how Wayne Bennett says something and everyone criticises him and then a few months later everyone is repeating exactly what he said?

P

pagey

State of Origin Rep
Aug 19, 2013
You don't keep someone if they are unhappy in their current situation. Taylor was making chump change with seemingly no vacancies for a considerable period at the Broncos and the Titans came along and offered a starting role and a very healthy income. Very few coaches would have denied him that opportunity. It's costing us big time now but I am definitely not blaming anyone for it, it is just one of those things. The halfback situation will eventually work itself out.

He definitely wasn't on chump change, his contract was around $350k for 3years if i remember correctly. He could've had a bench spot like lamb has at Newcastle, 3 halves with hunt moving into hooker. What im saying is if you have a real talented player , you find a position for them . I very much doubt the likes of bellamy would've let him walk.

broncos4life

broncos4life

International Captain
Forum Staff
Oct 5, 2011

The only person to blame for all if this is Ben Hunt.

Accept

Accept

NRL Captain
Sep 27, 2016
He definitely wasn't on chump change, his contract was around $350k for 3years if i remember correctly. He could've had a bench spot like lamb has at Newcastle, 3 halves with hunt moving into hooker. What im saying is if you have a real talented player , you find a position for them . I very much doubt the likes of bellamy would've let him walk.
I could care less what Bellamy would have done, what relevance does he have on this subject? Isn't he the guy who helped facilitate the biggest salary cap rort in RL history? His record is tainted and any subtle comparison to Bennett is very insulting to me because there isn't even a slight comparison to the great man.

Like I said before, I wish Taylor was still a Bronco but he isn't and I do not lay blame on the Broncos organization for releasing him because you or I would have done the same in those circumstances. Don Henley once said "You can't look back. You can never look back". You need to do the same.

P

pagey

State of Origin Rep
Aug 19, 2013
I could care less what Bellamy would have done, what relevance does he have on this subject? Isn't he the guy who helped facilitate the biggest salary cap rort in RL history? His record is tainted and any subtle comparison to Bennett is very insulting to me because there isn't even a slight comparison to the great man.

Like I said before, I wish Taylor was still a Bronco but he isn't and I do not lay blame on the Broncos organization for releasing him because you or I would have done the same in those circumstances. Don Henley once said "You can't look back. You can never look back". You need to do the same.

Could care less if i insulted you ! I do blame the broncos organization , they didn't do the right thing.

L

Lockysillegitimatechild

State of Origin Rep
Apr 10, 2015
Are we seriously having an ash Taylor argument again? Seriously? Haha

We will be a top 4 side every year until his contract runs out with our halves developing big match experience every 2nd week.

Ash Taylor, is signed to the titans. The titans! Their career highlights are the odd wins over us in NOTHING games!

Does even the staunchest Ash taylor fan honestly believe he will become as good as Thurston? Because unless something dramatic changes at the titans, that's what he will have to become to take that club to a level that will allow him to play in big matches regularly (eg: more then once every 3-4 years). At the current rate he will be lucky to play a finals game at all in those 4 years. His contract won't go down in value by any stretch because of the increases in the cap and the position he plays, but he has signed his biggest (salary cap ratio wise) contract of his career. Why do I say that? Michael Morgan is an example of how playing in big matches can change a player. Michael Morgan had a bloke named Thurston to help him get there, Taylor has elgey.

All the ash Taylor fans on here will hate hearing this but I can guarantee that there will be a bigger loser in regards to winning/losing premiership games then the broncos at the end of all this. And it won't be Wayne Bennett.....

Wolfie

Wolfie

International Captain
Jan 14, 2015

We will be a top 4 side every year until his contract runs out with our halves developing big match experience every 2nd week.

Ash Taylor, is signed to the titans. The titans! Their career highlights are the odd wins over us in NOTHING games!

Does even the staunchest Ash taylor fan honestly believe he will become as good as Thurston? Because unless something dramatic changes at the titans, that's what he will have to become to take that club to a level that will allow him to play in big matches regularly (eg: more then once every 3-4 years). At the current rate he will be lucky to play a finals game at all in those 4 years. His contract won't go down in value by any stretch because of the increases in the cap and the position he plays, but he has signed his biggest (salary cap ratio wise) contract of his career. Why do I say that? Michael Morgan is an example of how playing in big matches can change a player. Michael Morgan had a bloke named Thurston to help him get there, Taylor has elgey.

All the ash Taylor fans on here will hate hearing this but I can guarantee that there will be a bigger loser in regards to winning/losing premiership games then the broncos at the end of all this. And it won't be Wayne Bennett.....

Taylor is going to struggle to win anything if he stays there, but he has set himself up financially at a young age so money wont be as big an issue with him on his next contract and he will be in his prime when he is next off contract.

Tbf, he looks pretty sharp at the moment for the Titans :D

P

pagey

State of Origin Rep
Aug 19, 2013

Completely missing the point ! Its about the planning of our future not taylor. But if you want to make it about ash then i guarantee he will be better then kodi and probably milf , especially if he was with Brisbane.

Wolfie

Wolfie

International Captain
Jan 14, 2015
The only person to blame for all if this is Ben Hunt.

I dont see anyone is to blame. All both Hunt and Taylor did was take huge money offered to them. Nobody on here would have done anything different to either of those guys, and i'd say if anyone said they would they would be lying. No way does anyone not take the money they got offered.

BroncsFan

BroncsFan

International Captain
Contributor
Jul 28, 2016
I think the only issue I have looking back is if Milf and Hunt were identified as the future then the Broncos should've locked them both up to long contracts... instead they let both of them run down into their final years leaving themselves vulnerable

Unread

Active Now

• Dash
  • Bucking Beads
  • Aldo
  • Mr Fourex
  • Manofoneway
  • Galah
  • Battler
  • mrslong
  • Footy Fanatic
  • OXY-351
  • Mustafur
  • Tmac
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.