Thursday
Morning
10:00

Team Lists

P

pagey

State of Origin Rep
Aug 19, 2013
Wayne likes blokes who show a good attitude and put themselves out. Knik is one of them. If you give him everything Wayne will always back you and give you a fair crack of the whip. I'd say the backup options are a bit light on the ground because of us losing Hunt, missing out on Taylor and their just not being a heap of decent half backs on the market.

We have a few players who have had the chance to ask for a release and leave to play elsewhere and Wayne has refused to let them go, Nikorima is one of them. Bennett doesnt generally stand in players way either if they get good offers so the blokes he does that to obviously have his trust and backing.

Well he got it wrong by releasing Taylor and keeping knik.

Super Freak

Super Freak

International Captain
Forum Staff
Jan 25, 2014
1. Boyd (daddy lets me play where I want)
2. Pearson
3. Opaic
4. Roberts
5. Issako
6. Milf
7. KNik
8. Moose
9. McCullough
10. Lodge
11. Glenn
12. Sims
14. Tagateese
13. Bird (on after 30 at lock)
15. Gillo (had enough needs a message on after 25)
16. Sua
17. Offa

Risk with Opaic/Pearson side. Bird would be a little safer and a fair bit more dangerous (although Bird looks slower) but the spine desperately need Bird’s help.

How can the side gel and build any consistency and momentum if we chop and change it?

Sims has been quite good for us in the front row in the past couple of games but gets moved to the edge.. Then we lose the impact he has been providing off the bench.

Wolfie

Wolfie

International Captain
Jan 14, 2015

He did what was best for Taylor more than the Broncos so in one respect he did, but its hard to knock a bloke for doing whats best for the person as well. Thats why he has so many players want to be coached by him, he generally does whats best for the individual not the club.

Super Freak

Super Freak

International Captain
Forum Staff
Jan 25, 2014

Easy to criticize after the fact, but at that moment that was the only way Taylor was going to be playing first grade.

If Bennett had a crystal ball and could see the future, I'm sure he would have done things differently.

P

pagey

State of Origin Rep
Aug 19, 2013
He did what was best for Taylor more than the Broncos so in one respect he did, but its hard to knock a bloke for doing whats best for the person as well. Thats why he has so many players want to be coached by him, he generally does whats best for the individual not the club.

I think they thought he would come back and thought hunt wouldn't leave . Locky even said they penciled hunt and milf for the long term. You wouldn't see bellamy let someone like ash go and everyone wants to be coached by him.

P

pagey

State of Origin Rep
Aug 19, 2013
Easy to criticize after the fact, but at that moment that was the only way Taylor was going to be playing first grade.

If Bennett had a crystal ball and could see the future, I'm sure he would have done things differently.

They new he was good but put their eggs into one basket. He could have been brought through as a bench player ala kodi ... you don't get rid of talent like that until you know what you have. Milf and hunt were still an unknown.

Super Freak

Super Freak

International Captain
Forum Staff
Jan 25, 2014
They new he was good but put their eggs into one basket. He could have been brought through as a bench player ala kodi ... you don't get rid of talent like that until you know what you have. Milf and hunt were still an unknown.

He didn't want to be a bench player. He wanted to be halfback. We couldn't offer him that at the time. Milf and Hunt were both killing it and were the best halves combination in the comp at the time and they didn't even look like going downhill. Keep in mind, that was Hunt's second great season.

Besides, Kodi was doing very well off the bench and didn't deserve to be dropped. You don't put someone in first grade just so they will stay.

Like I said, very easy to criticize after the fact. But at the time, there was no future at the Broncos for Taylor and he didn't want to wait to become an NRL halfback. So Bennett did what was best for him and let him go so he could be one.

Wolfie

Wolfie

International Captain
Jan 14, 2015

You might not, but like i said, Bennett puts the player before the club. I wouldnt say Hunt or Milf were unknown in terms of their ability either. They pretty much killed it all of the 2015 season and were a whisker away from winning a grand final. Nobody could have forseen either the outrageous money thrown by other clubs at both players.

winslow_wong

winslow_wong

International Captain
May 27, 2013

Which is why tpj will leave for bigger money

Jason Simmons

Jason Simmons

NRL Captain
Apr 18, 2013
true ... doesn't mean we can't give our opinion on that selection (or any other he makes)

True, I just sense here is a substantial disconnect with certain members here who are choosing to ignore all the evidence we have at the moment, which shows that Wayne has faith in him and as such he will continue to be selected as our starting half whilst he remains fit and available.

Until some sort of evidence shows that Wayne is losing faith or some sudden unforseen signing happens, Kodi Nikorima will continue to be our starting halfback.

P

pagey

State of Origin Rep
Aug 19, 2013
You might not, but like i said, Bennett puts the player before the club. I wouldnt say Hunt or Milf were unknown in terms of their ability either. They pretty much killed it all of the 2015 season and were a whisker away from winning a grand final. Nobody could have forseen either the outrageous money thrown by other clubs at both players.

And then ???? He had one more season left, why not let him play qcup and earn a spot. Have a look at the brodie croft situation he wasn't released they saw a future in him . So they slowly brought him through, and ash is a level above imo... as for kodi , he is looking like a poor mans Milford .

Super Freak

Super Freak

International Captain
Forum Staff
Jan 25, 2014
And then ???? He had one more season left, why not let him play qcup and earn a spot. Have a look at the brodie croft situation he wasn't released they saw a future in him . So they slowly brought him through, and ash is a level above imo... as for kodi , he is looking like a poor mans Milford .

The Croft situation was different.

Jason Simmons

Jason Simmons

NRL Captain
Apr 18, 2013

It is when we want the club to succeed and in this modern age consistently match the ruthlessness of other clubs.

Wayne’s relationship with players is no doubt great, but that can’t come at the expense of performance. His job is to coach us to premierships first and foremost and I’m not sure that thinking was there when he made the decision on Taylor.

If he thought Taylor would repay the favour we did him by signing with us arguably when we needed him, well then perhaps Wayne’s relationship isn‘t as strong as he hoped as Taylor clearly didn’t sign with us, in which case we can’t rely necessarily on the strength of relationships in such situations in future because doing so is to our detriment...

P

pagey

State of Origin Rep
Aug 19, 2013
QUOTE="Super Freak, post: 2921038, member: 8536"]The Croft situation was different.[/QUOTE]
Maybe, but you don't good players walk.

N

Number6

QCup Player
May 21, 2016
How can the side gel and build any consistency and momentum if we chop and change it?

Sims has been quite good for us in the front row in the past couple of games but gets moved to the edge.. Then we lose the impact he has been providing off the bench.

True so set the team early and make hard decisions now. Some changes are forced (Oates and TPJ). Others are required for longer term especially if that was the plan anyway (Bird to lock?). Sims isn’t a front rower, he might have a few good games there but will most likely be same pattern if keep him there). Some (Gillo to bench) are to try and remedy both the actuality and culture emerging of underperformance being tolerated.

broncos4life

broncos4life

International Captain
Forum Staff
Oct 5, 2011
It is when we want the club to succeed and in this modern age consistently match the ruthlessness of other clubs.

Wayne’s relationship with players is no doubt great, but that can’t come at the expense of performance. His job is to coach us to premierships first and foremost and I’m not sure that thinking was there when he made the decision on Taylor.

If he thought Taylor would repay the favour we did him by signing with us arguably when we needed him, well then perhaps Wayne’s relationship isn‘t as strong as he hoped as Taylor clearly didn’t sign with us, in which case we can’t rely necessarily on the strength of relationships in such situations in future because doing so is to our detriment...

You just need to be more selective with who you trust in the future.

Active Now

• GCBRONCO
  • mitch222
  • Johnny92
  • Skathen
  • kman
  • Browny
  • winslow_wong
  • Xzei
  • Aldo
  • lynx000
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.