PRE-GAME Round 4 - Storm vs Broncos

vs

Kickoff In:

Thursday
Morning
10:00

Team Lists

I think I went a little overboard with my bets on this game. I have Sportsbet and TAB(touch) and had some bets on this game then a few days later noticed the TAB account actually had other sports.I normally just dabble on the ponies on that site. I had a few more bets when I realized I could bet on the NRL there too.

Just added up my silliness...$801 in various bets, all on the Broncos. If we don't get flogged by more than 18 I might do okay🙂 if we fluked a win...wow.

Brisbane Broncos Head Of Performance Andrew Croll:

“As a group, the boys have adapted really well - we are taking it day by day and we have been really happy with how the boys’ attitude has been. The message from Kevie and all the staff is “no excuses”, we’re preparing to play Melbourne on Friday and we had a full day of training yesterday which is what we had planned to do in Brisbane anyway. We trained at Leichhardt Oval and had a really good field session and after that we had two groups in the gym training out at Olympic Park."

"Today was a scheduled day off but we’ve small groups shuttling out to Olympic Park to do some work and recovery and some gym extras. We haven’t missed a beat in that regard and we’ll have our Captain’s Run tomorrow and then bring on Melbourne on Friday night. Obviously its less than optimal to be spending the moments that you’re not training in your room … but the energy that has been around both the training field and the gym has been really good. "

"The mentality we’ve had as a squad and from the coaching group is really positive and no excuses – this is the preparation that has been thrust upon us and we are going to do the best we can within that framework. It’s really exciting to have both Payne and Lodgey back … they both bring experience and size which are things we are going to need going up against the Storm, and with both their inclusions I think there is a really good feel around the team. At this stage we’ll be in Sydney until the following Friday, playing South Sydney at ANZ Stadium on that Thursday, so it’s a short turnaround and it’s not a bad camp mentality to have being based here in Sydney up against both Melbourne and Souths, two strong opposition."

" The guys who aren’t in our top 18 and not playing each week, we’ll have to put a little more planning in place for those guys because they have been pulled out of the Intrust Super Cup. This week we’ve adapted on the fly but going forward if we know we’re going to be here for a longer period of time then we’ll need to put something more specific in place for those players.”

I think I went a little overboard with my bets on this game. I have Sportsbet and TAB(touch) and had some bets on this game then a few days later noticed the TAB account actually had other sports.I normally just dabble on the ponies on that site. I had a few more bets when I realized I could bet on the NRL there too.

Just added up my silliness...$801 in various bets, all on the Broncos. If we don't get flogged by more than 18 I might do okay🙂 if we fluked a win...wow.
Fluke? I think not. we grind out a win 2015 style, there’s a change in the wind.

Nice little Easter bonus for your friendly bookmakers to look forward to.

Yes, I'd miss the 801...for about an hour🤣🤣🤣🤣

Kevin Walters says Tommy Dearden is back on the bench replacing John Asiata:

“Tom will come into the 17 again, we feel he did enough to retain his position in the side. John Asiata will drop out of the 17. Depending on the situation of the game, there are some big forwards, so we won’t introduce Tom too much, too early. He can play a good role for us off the bench, whether it’s through the middle or the hooking role or in the halves. He has a lot of bases covered for us and that’s why he is in the 17. He is versatile and we feel he can bring lots of energy when he’s on the field.”

“We feel Brodie did enough last week to maintain his position in the side. I want to see more of the same from Brodie. I thought he had a strong game last week, he created some good opportunities. There were some opportunities he missed and didn’t take, particularly around his communication with the forwards and setting up the play. Defensively he has been very strong and he will have to be again (on Friday night). We are looking forward to a similar performance, particularly that second 40 minutes where we controlled the ball and controlled the tempo of the game.”

“Payne feels he owes the team and it’s great to have him back (from suspension). He is a great guy to bring back into the side, a powerful forward and he and Matt Lodge will bring some grunt to our forwards. They are two of the better middle forwards in our squad so we welcome them back with open arms against a Storm side who have one of the best packs in the competition.”

McHunt

Yes, I'd miss the 801...for about an hour🤣🤣🤣🤣

WTF is Kevin doing? Dearden in / Asiata out?! These to me is a stupid mistake against Melbourne. Asiata is far more versatile and comes with experience. If Dearden is in, croft or Milford is out, we cant afford to carry a half on the bench this game. :facepalmwastaken:

Last edited:
WTF is Kevin doing? Dearden in / Asiata out?! These to me is a stupid mistake against Melbourne. Asiata is far more versatile and comes with experience. If Dearden is in, croft or Milford is out, we cant afford to carry a half on the bench this game. :facepalmwastaken:
The story is somewhat contradictory. Badel says this:

"Speaking at his pre-game press conference on Thursday, Walters confirmed Dearden would come into the 17, only to bizarrely backflip just minutes later, suggesting the playmaker would be a part of Brisbane’s 19-man squad."

Yet the passage he quoted from Walters' press conference is very clear that Dearden will be on the bench for Asiata. Badel also seemed to have some expectation Dearden would be starting instead of Croft after comments Walters made after the Bulldogs' game. But I think he misconstrued them.

Logically Asiata would be more versatile - he's the perfect bench utility, if fully fit - but it says to me he's easing Dearden into the team through the back door. I've always expected him to be starting by round 6, with either Milford or Croft dropped, pretty much for good.

Meanwhile, here's how the readers of NRL.com are seeing it:

HScreenshot 2021 04 01 Back room rivalry takes to field as Kevvy forges own path

Last edited:
Fill me in bro..was happening, I'm mid-air atm

I just read the article on Dearden and KWs comments on Haas and chubbied up when I read KW allegedly said " Haas won't be playing the same minutes as last year"

I am pretty sure dearden will be starting next week. I think kevie is playing the long game with dearden and is wanting to build deardens confidence. As such didnt want to start him in a game where we will likely get absolutely brained.

Ideally i think he would have liked dearden in ISC but without that/in the bubble he may figure having him on the bench is the next best thing.

We probably don't really need Asiata on the bench but I'd rather him than Dearden . That said there's no reason to not have Dearden either. Might end up being a supersub all year, ala Knik.

Truthfully, there's valid for and against. I like Asiata, he's rugged and can cover multiple positions. Dearden is young and definitely has some Alf in him. With Haas and Lodge back, we can bash these *****. I'm trusting KW on this.

I’d also like to mention Asiatas on going shoulder issue, I’d like to see him fully fit without the risk of him coming on and then having to come back off 10 mins later. Yes I fully realise that it could happen to any sub, but when he’s a middle defender designed to give the big fellas a rest with on going shoulder issues it’s not ideal. (Personally) I’d like to see Croft in 14 as he’s more rugged and can at least give turps a rest if need be, he could also play anywhere in the back line if we’re caught in a pinch, the guy played wing for churchie if I’m not mistaken.

Active Now

• Santa
  • Brotherdu
  • winslow_wong
  • Midean
  • Battler
  • Strop
  • Scorchie
  • Justwin
  • Bronx48
  • GCBRONCO
  • Fatboy
  • bert_lifts
  • BroncosFan_Corey
  • BruiserMk1
  • Brett Da Man LeMan
  • westy316
  • Organix
  • I bleed Maroon
  • Volvo Driver
  • Mighty Bronx
... and 53 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.