PRE-GAME Round 5 - Knights vs Broncos

[URL='https://broncoshq.com/threads/round-5-knights-vs-broncos.34130/page-10' said:
10[/URL]"winslow_wong, post: 2924378, member: 8294"]I'd like to see teams attack with a set play when they rush back for a 20m restart. Most of the times it's the winger taking a quick tap only to run directly up the middle where all the opposition forwards were waiting due to their lack of kick chase. But where there is usually room is out wide because usually it's the outside backs who chase the kicks and struggle to get back on side when it's a quick tap. So a nice set play to move the ball wide would gain some nice territory. It'd be only in certain situations to exploit but you'd need smart halves and some practice at training to implement it.

Well, that rules us out...

It would be nice to think that he didn't have to go looking for the ball and that the ball found him .... regularly.

Both Bird and Roberts are being wasted out wide due to a stiffled game plan (IMO)

Referring to the previous post about smart halves using real weapons instead of pop guns ... yeah, it would be so good to see

No, once again you create a strawman to knock down. I described a particular position or point in a game to have a slow ptb. I didn't suggest we do it everywhere. It does make a difference if you have multiple options including spreading it two and three wide rather than when there is only a single player in a position to receive the ball. Naturally you avoid acknowledging what is obvious because you just cannot try to understand. You always try to muddy issues. Not every single time is a fast ptb desirable. A great example is often found at the end of a game while in possession and leading with a minute remaining. Fast ptbs are not "everything

Okay, name a situation where this would suit.

I know if I had a choice of a fast PTB or a slow one, I'd take a fast one 95% of the time. The only situations where a slow one is needed is at the end of the game if you're in front,as you've said Huge, or if our fat arse forwards are slow to get back and there is no one there to take a hit up (gives them time to haul their arses back onside).

Other than that, speed is where it's at. Our slow PTBs aren't getting us very far at the moment.

I know if I had a choice of a fast PTB or a slow one, I'd take a fast one 95% of the time. The only situations where a slow one is needed is at the end of the game if you're in front,as you've said Huge, or if our fat arse forwards are slow to get back and there is no one there to take a hit up (gives them time to haul their arses back onside).

Other than that, speed is where it's at. Our slow PTBs aren't getting us very far at the moment.

And I know I sound like a broken record, but neither is having Milf and Kodi playing on opposite sides of the ruck all the time. In fact, they should be doing most of their plays on the same side, alternating between right and left, getting the ball out to Roberts and Opacic or lining up Gillett and Glenn to run some good lines.

Yes, yes, yes. I've outlined exactly, in plain easy to understand English which situations are suited to a very slow ptb. Once again for clarity, on the fifth tackle we could employ this tactic. Imagine tbe scenario, slow ptb , defence line statinary, markers forced to be inline, one behind another and stationary with our kicker with time to see the positioning of wingers and fullback, totally unrushed and able to kick to space. Contrast this with our present rushed, unthinking process that has markers shooting out, most times standing shoulder to shoulder and gaining a metre or two advantage that slack refereees overlook.

The second scenario is after the ball is kicked to us on the fifth. I've outlined my reasoning on that one repeatedly in the posts above.

I’m not sure which side Ross plays on but we need to target him.

He isn’t used to defending at centre, the inexperience could be something we could exploit like the Titans did with Isaako.

We missed oatesy last week with his returns on our own try line. Make fun of moga all you want but he was brilliant last year for us coming out of our own end with a one two punch with oatesy
I’m hoping bird can start to take over that one two punch role out of our end. It sets our set of six up dramatically
Roberts was also helping out quite a lot last year and seems to be a bit down on effort.

The second scenario is after the ball is kicked to us on the fifth. I've outlined my reasoning on that one repeatedly in the posts above.

To be fair, and as an unbiased bystander in this exchange, this is the key scenario that Morkel is making very well-reasoned arguments against. It's fine to disagree with him, but it's not fair to intimate that he is being obstinate in his understanding of your proposals.

Yes, yes, yes. I've outlined exactly, in plain easy to understand English which situations are suited to a very slow ptb. Once again for clarity, on the fifth tackle we could employ this tactic. Imagine tbe scenario, slow ptb , defence line statinary, markers forced to be inline, one behind another and stationary with our kicker with time to see the positioning of wingers and fullback, totally unrushed and able to kick to space. Contrast this with our present rushed, unthinking process that has markers shooting out, most times standing shoulder to shoulder and gaining a metre or two advantage that slack refereees overlook.

Both situations are going to end badly.

On the fifth, about to kick, consider what happens when players go for field goals. I understand it's a different type of kick, as it needs to hit the ground first and needs accuracy, but unless you just want to spray the ball randomly in the air, a long kick needs some kind of direction too, and that's why you want to try this tactic right - to get a better kick away? With a field goal, particularly from a slow PTB, the kicker(s) often have to be 10 - 15 metres behind the PTB to get the kick away. That's how fast the defence is up, even from a standing, legal start. The markers are there almost immediately, and throwing it out wider to avoid them just soaks up time. So in this scenario, you might get a kick away cleanly, but you'll lose 10 - 15 metres before the ball is even kicked. Kind of pointless.

As for doing it from the PTB after a kick return, well, trying to be cute and throwing it out wide while the defence is in your face...

IeI2uQw.gif

Both situations are going to end badly.

On the fifth, about to kick, consider what happens when players go for field goals. I understand it's a different type of kick, as it needs to hit the ground first and needs accuracy, but unless you just want to spray the ball randomly in the air, a long kick needs some kind of direction too, and that's why you want to try this tactic right - to get a better kick away? With a field goal, particularly from a slow PTB, the kicker(s) often have to be 10 - 15 metres behind the PTB to get the kick away. That's how fast the defence is up, even from a standing, legal start. The markers are there almost immediately, and throwing it out wider to avoid them just soaks up time. So in this scenario, you might get a kick away cleanly, but you'll lose 10 - 15 metres before the ball is even kicked. Kind of pointless.

As for doing it from the PTB after a kick return, well, trying to be cute and throwing it out wide while the defence is in your face...

IeI2uQw.gif
What a shot! :o

Allan- 1 try- nice link on the right. Hard day against the Bears they kept charging through and he was on his own back there.
two line breaks, one tackle break and three missed tackles.

Seve- six tackle breaks and one line break- been in great form and fifth most ground in the ISC.

Fai- three tackle breaks.

Scarelett- Kicked and one try assist. A lot of bad misses on Bears coming down his side.

Mago- two tries and four tackle breaks.

Taggers- 18 tackles and only one miss.

Dargon- two runs and 10 tackles in his 30 minutes

Carrigan- 57 minutes, missed a lot of tackles but Wynnum turned it over a lot so he ended up missing four and making 26.

Haas- 42 minutes, 11 hit ups and 120m, one tackle break. 18 tackles and 0 misses. He's only missed one now in four games.

Flegler- seven minutes- sent off

Staggs- 1 try, seven goals, 18 points, seven runs, one try assist, one line break assist, four tackle breaks, 29 tackles with one miss. Pretty good second game.

Haas' defence continues to impress me- one miss in four games and 86 tackles. He was great on Sunday getting up at Murphy. Does a lot of little things right.

Last edited:
To be fair, and as an unbiased bystander in this exchange, this is the key scenario that Morkel is making very well-reasoned arguments against. It's fine to disagree with him, but it's not fair to intimate that he is being obstinate in his understanding of your proposals.
I wasn't replying to Morkel. I was replying to aldo as was indicated by my quoting him.Morkel is entitled to his opinion, right or wrong but what he isn't entitled to do is change my argument into something it was never intended to be as he did when he suggested I was saying we should surrender in tackles.

Oh so send offs still exist in the ISC? lol Well who knew.

Is there any mail around TPJ playing on the weekend? Other than that he has to make it through the captains run tomorrow?

Active Now

• I bleed Maroon
  • lynx000
  • UP DA BRIZZY BRONX
  • Scorchie
  • pennywisealfie
  • barker
  • Culhwch
  • Xzei
  • Manofoneway
  • Waynesaurus
  • MrMoore
  • Fitzy
  • broncoscope
  • BroncoFan94
  • broncsgoat
  • scobie
  • theshed
  • YeahNahMate
  • Spoon
  • Skyblues87
... and 7 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.