PRE-GAME Round 5 - Knights vs Broncos

Sam Thaiday is 115kg which means he is Bigger than every forward in the club except Lodge

What kind of big is that though? A fit 115 kg or a 115kg blob of has been? For him to be the experience off the bench only to drop the ball on his first run last night is enough to give him a spell I think.

These are the players who should be safe:

2. Oates
3. Roberts
5. Isaako
8. Lodge
9. Macca
10. TPJ
11. Glenn

That's not very promising is it.

2. Oates
3. Roberts
5. Isaako
8. Lodge
9. Macca
10. TPJ
11. Glenn

Not sure how isaako is safe.

His kick out on the full lead directly to the try that put us most under the pump.

He then turned around and kicked off exactly the same kick and should have been out on the full as well if the receiver was really aware.

And also a really poor carry that saw him pushed back 6 metres into the in goal.

He is a project player and will get protected species status. But let's not kid ourselves he didn't have a shocker.

Additional comment: I've never understood why, with such a great boot, some of these NRL kicker-offerers don't go for very high NFL style 3/4 field big hang time kicks and then contest the kick ala special teams.

Last edited:

His kick out on the full lead directly to the try that put us most under the pump.

He then turned around and kicked off exactly the same kick and should have been out on the full as well if the receiver was really aware.

And also a really poor carry that saw him pushed back 6 metres into the in goal.

He is a project player and will get protected species status. But let's not kid ourselves he didn't have a shocker.

Additional comment: I've never understood why, with such a great boot, some of these NRL kicker-offerers don't go for very high NFL style 3/4 field big hang time kicks and then contest the kick ala special teams.
And yet he's still our best kicker. I rate him highly, he's braught more to the team then Bird and he's still green

I've actually said before that I don't actually rate Isaako as highly as some others, I definitely don't see him as a gun fullback (but certainly hope to be wrong) as I rate Allan much higher (but a lot of rumours he is out the door) BUT let's not kid ourselves, regardless of how good or bad he plays, he is a certainty in the side due to his goal kicking and ability to take drop kicks, especially while Kahu is out.

Just spoke with Ben Ikin a moment ago and asked him if he was going to give it to us(the Broncos) tonight. He smiled and let a little chuckle go. I bet Matty Lodge will be mentioned on 360 tonight along with the inevitable 'what's wrong with the Broncos'.....

I've actually said before that I don't actually rate Isaako as highly as some others, I definitely don't see him as a gun fullback (but certainly hope to be wrong) as I rate Allan much higher (but a lot of rumours he is out the door) BUT let's not kid ourselves, regardless of how good or bad he plays, he is a certainty in the side due to his goal kicking and ability to take drop kicks, especially while Kahu is out.
I reckon TPJ, Lodge and Isaako have been the only shining lights in a other wise poor team so far. Personally I think he would be the perfect fullback he's safe under the high ball and fast, if he worked on his running game he would be the complete package. Plus a good kicker

I reckon TPJ, Lodge and Isaako have been the only shining lights in a other wise poor team so far. Personally I think he would be the perfect fullback he's safe under the high ball and fast, if he worked on his running game he would be the complete package. Plus a good kicker

I definitely hope you are right but I look at what Allan could be (stress COULD be, definitely isn't yet) and I think he could be Tommy Turboesque. Isaako has not really shown (read had the opportunity) to show his real speed yet but definitely looks like he could be really fast. That said, the current Broncs structure requires a fullback who can both return the ball well on kick returns and do sweeping plays. Boyd was fantastic at both in 2015 and 2016 but since the injuries surfaced, has been reserve grade standard at best and it is killing the team.

I definitely hope you are right but I look at what Allan could be (stress COULD be, definitely isn't yet) and I think he could be Tommy Turboesque. Isaako has not really shown (read had the opportunity) to show his real speed yet but definitely looks like he could be really fast. That said, the current Broncs structure requires a fullback who can both return the ball well on kick returns and do sweeping plays. Boyd was fantastic at both in 2015 and 2016 but since the injuries surfaced, has been reserve grade standard at best and it is killing the team.
Yeah he's a massive thorn in our side and that thorn just happens to be the captain which doesn't help. His ball running last night was pitiful he didn't know what to do with himself once he got the ball in his hands. He just ran around in circles before submitting in the tackle. I am a fan of Boyd but just like Sammy it's time he got a tap of the shoulder so we can start the rebuilding process

To be fair roo-ted, McGuire, Glen and Gillete have all been trying hard and don't have much to be ashamed about.

Now that I've calmed down I don't think we are far off being a true threat. When we get Bird in closer and Oates and TPJ are back we will be 10% better and that will certainly be enough. I do think we need our halves to be a lot better. I'm finished with Thaiday, great clubman and champion player that he was but I want Offa and Tagatese to be first two interchanges. I bet if Taga gets a run he'll get another the next week.

I just want this team to show some hunger. I get you can play every 80 minutes like they did against the cowboys, but there should be a willingness to do the little things right. Kick chases don't require any special skills, nor does holding a line. It's just commitment. I'll take it in a losing team (although that is not the preference) and accept it. The players we have need to be judged on that first, before their pay packets, pasts or reputations.

2. Oates
3. Roberts
5. Isaako
8. Lodge
9. Macca
10. TPJ
11. Glenn

McGuire is putting in but only positional question of 3 props.

Isaako is important for now given his kicking and think he will bounce back fine but was still a worry.

Disagree with Glenn he tries but is ineffectual.

God I hope TPJ is back for this 1 his enthusiasm is really what is best about him.

Is kahu even in the side when he comes back ?

The sheen will wear off of Isaako and people will realise Kahu is the better player at this stage.

Bennett has some work to do in the next 6 days ... and he should start with some positional changes. I would go with this side next week (assuming TPJ and Oates are fit)

1. Boyd
2. Oates
3. Roberts
4. Opacic
5. Isaako
6. Milford
7. Nikorima
8. Lodge
9. McCullough
10. McGuire
11. Glenn
12. Gillett
13. Bird

14. Thaiday
15. Pangai Jnr
16. Tagatese
17. Ofahengaue

Bird needs to get his hands on the ball more, and the best position for him to do that is lock. and i can't wait to see him go back to the future in that position.

I know that TPJ has been really good starting for us, but IMO right now we need him on the bench. we need someone to not only provide a bit of impact when our starting props go off, but also carry on (or improve) on the momentum when they are off the field.

Can we just piss Thaiday off now? He’s hopeless get Haas in

Unread

Active Now

• broncos4life
  • Dash
  • Ghost of Vlansys
  • Jedhead
  • Lurker
  • Pablo
  • Culhwch
  • Gaz
  • Browny
  • Harry Sack
  • Brett Da Man LeMan
  • sooticus
  • Manofoneway
  • TimWhatley
  • Broncosarethebest
  • Dreaglor
  • theshed
... and 6 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.