PRE-GAME Round 5 - Knights vs Broncos

Sad to say this - as I have always been a Thaiday fan - but he needs to go. Just contributes very little now. How would Tagataese not provide more impact than Sam now?

I would get rid of Kahu. Too injury prone. No speed. Free up cap space to keep the likes of Allen etc
I also think Kahu has gone down hill, its been over the last two years. The only thing with getting rid of Kahu is that Glen will probably follow him back to nz, they are best buds and a big factor for Glen resigning

Isaako had a stinker last night but his kicking literally won us a game the week before so if he bounces back it may just be time to try Oates off the bench as a 2nd row? God knows no one else is fighting too hard for their spots.

I also think Kahu has gone down hill, its been over the last two years. The only thing with getting rid of Kahu is that Glen will probably follow him back to nz, they are best buds and a big factor for Glen resigning

Wouldn’t be a great loss free up some much needed $$$$

1. Milf
5. Isaako
3. Roberts
4. Opa
5. Oates (if not fit ? Allan)
6. KNik
7. Scarlett/Murphy
8. Moose (no 4th tackle touches at all)
9. Macca (c) (less defence and more kicks and running the show)
10. Lodge
11. Glenn
12. Gillett (Vc) (but only gets 50 minutes)
13. TPJ (prop later in rotation)
14. Bird (hooker for 15 to give Macca rest without Macca going off then lock for rest of game and backs cover)
15. Tagga
16. Sua (want him to have opportunity to take Glenn’s spot sooner rather than later)
17. Sims (1 more bad game in next month and banish to QCup for extended period to show he can sustain performance).

Boyd not to return until hamstrings and confidence 100% in a QCup game. Then centre or wing.

Thaiday has a choice, retirement or QCup. Maybe get a game over origin and if possible a send off at end of year.

Few key positional changes, sends message you can’t just get by on reputation. Drops a bit of deadwood but isn’t too extreme. Held off temptation to drop Glenn and Sims but barring miracles would like Glenn in reserve grade and Sims offloaded by mid year.

Likely win one with rebound effect then loose a couple till combinations start to gel. Difference is we’ve been waiting 2 years for most current combinations to gel so why is going to start consistently working now?

Interchange assuming no injury
1. 20mins Bird for TPJ
2. 25 Tagga for Lodge
3. 35 TPJ for McGuire
4. 50. Sua for Gillo
5. 50 Sims for Glenn
6. 55 Mcguire for Tagga
7. 50-55. Lodge for TPJ
8. 70. If bird puffed then Tagga or Gillo could come back or spare

Work load.
Middle
TPJ 50-55 but essentially 3 stints
McGuire 55
Lodge 50-55 but with big break
Tagga 30-40
Bird 50-60
Macca 80 but 65 as sole hooker but with some help from Bird so he can have a breather here and there, guys player shorter minutes need to soak up more defence too.

Fringe forwards
Gillo 50
Glenn 50
Sims 30
Sua 30

Having those 2 guys finish on fringe is a worry but time to sink or swim. Gillo hasn’t looked 100% in 9 months and Glenn is watching the world pass him by.

Last edited:
NRL - Round 5
Saturday, 7th of April, 2018
View attachment 2704 View attachment 2703

Coach: Nathan BrownCoach: Wayne Bennett
Officials:
Sideline Officials:
Video Review Officials:
Venue: McDonald Jones Stadium
Kickoff: 7:35pm
Broadcast: Foxleague
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
I like our line up more already - reckon they'll play with more passion than the mob last night.

If Oates and TPJ are still out, I'd love to see:

1. Roberts
2. Boyd
3. Bird
4. Oppa
5. Isaako
6. Milf
7. KNik
8. Lodge
9. Macca
10. Joffa
11. Glenn
12. Gillett
13. McGuire

14. Dargan
15. Su'a
16. Haas
17. Taga
I reckon I might cream my pants if Roberts plays fullback.
For all the unknowns about him back there, he simply couldn't contribute less than Boyd is at present, and the thought of him having space on kick-returns and a potential staggered defence - Oh-face.

I reckon I might cream my pants if Roberts plays fullback.
For all the unknowns about him back there, he simply couldn't contribute less than Boyd is at present, and the thought of him having space on kick-returns and a potential staggered defence - Oh-face.

My issue with Roberts at fullback is that he can’t jump at all. He has a vertical leap that requires the large hadron collider to measure.

Yep, plus he has feet for hands at fullback IIRC.

Well after last night would that make any real difference? We were continually dropping the ball on the first or second tackle anyway...

My issue with Roberts at fullback is that he can’t jump at all. He has a vertical leap that requires the large hadron collider to measure.
Valid point.
However, I’d rather a bloke at the back and sniffing around the ruck who the defence would be constantly worried about than a bloke who can jump but otherwise offer FA.

I’d just move Opacic to centre, bird to 5/8 and Milf to half. Bird should assist that rh side defence

Bennett reminds me of Sir Alex Ferguson in a lot of ways. When things started to get a bit stale for Man United, he often changed their backroom structures around and bought in people with fresh ideas. As much as i like Kevvie, we have seen his coaching before, and Demitriou hasnt impressed me. Maybe its time for a change. Bennett as the head of the club is fine, but maybe he needs some fresh eyes.

Good post. I’m no manure fan but there are some key differences IMO. Sir Alex always said you could see a players legs go in less than a month and then he had to move them on. Yes you can get away less speed in some positions in league but Wayne’s getting softer on calling time on some players.

Can we just piss Thaiday off now? He’s hopeless get Haas in

have you actually seen Haas play or are you basing it this off 1 trial against weakened opposition ...

Haas isn't ready yet and to throw him in the deep end, whilst we are in our current form will do more harm to him than good ... and could seriously set back his development

You seriously must be related to Oppa. Whilst he didn’t do anything wrong, his 15 mins was not more than Offa or Sua. Offa dug deep, despite a silly error and sua should have stayed on

I must be too then. Oppa deserves more game time IMO. in 10 odd games has been in our top five most times. Offa has been given more opportunities than most young forwards I’ve seen but doesn’t appear to improve. He’s got time to become a good forward but is on absolute cruise control most games. More game time for sua too.

Good post. I’m no manure fan but there are some key differences IMO. Sir Alex always said you could see a players legs go in less than a month and then he had to move them on. Yes you can get away less speed in some positions in league but Wayne’s getting softer on calling time on some players.

Sometimes Sir Alex just got rid of blokes that were in their prime to help usher in the next generation. Ince and Kanchelskis spring to mind. I would say Sir Alex is a tad more ruthless than Wayne is.

Just spoke with Ben Ikin a moment ago and asked him if he was going to give it to us(the Broncos) tonight. He smiled and let a little chuckle go. I bet Matty Lodge will be mentioned on 360 tonight along with the inevitable 'what's wrong with the Broncos'.....

Did you tell him to go **** himself? That’s the only thing that should ever be said to that ****.

I do get a bit of a sense that player welfare is worth more to Wayne than football. Which it always has and is part of his presence that is so respected. A lot of our squad seem like troubled young men who Wayne is fathering firstly and then trying to win games with as a secondary goal.

Guys like Roberts, Lodge, Boyd, and to a lesser extent Milford, Bird, and TPJ seem like guys that he wants to look after as young men. Of course they are all incredible talents but again, I’m not sure how high that is on his priorities and at the moment it isn’t making for a very well balanced line up.

Unread

Active Now

• Dash
  • Ghost of Vlansys
  • broncos4life
  • Jedhead
  • Lurker
  • Pablo
  • Culhwch
  • Gaz
  • Browny
  • Harry Sack
  • Brett Da Man LeMan
  • sooticus
  • Manofoneway
  • TimWhatley
  • Broncosarethebest
  • Dreaglor
  • theshed
  • Redfern_1980
  • marw
... and 8 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.