PRE-GAME Round 5 - Knights vs Broncos

I know Dargan was a depth signing but from most accounts is a decent 7. Does anyone in the know think he might get a shot if our 2 play makers continue with the current clueless game strategy. We have zero in attack.., our best chances at scoring seem to be long range efforts or utter flukes. How's Macca shovelling it out to no one the other night and turning the ball over!! No one out there had any fucken idea what the play was.

I agree about the "current clueless game strategy" however I don't reckon blaming the players explains that. Who sets up the game plan, and all the sub-plots? Thing for me is that the game strategy has been largely clueless for 3 years. Other teams are moving, and have moved forward. We seem to be treading water, and as fans, we are having the same conversations about our attack in particular for the last 2 years plus so far this season. That's why I am so pissed off with the performances so far this year with all the talent in this team.

Who really cares? Even if we win, who cares?

Until this team delivers some consistency week in week out by playing to our potential, winning games and playing with some fucking mongrel, attitude and discipline, I doubt I'll put my emotions into their games. Why should I care when even the players don't care?
Yep.

I agree about the "current clueless game strategy" however I don't reckon blaming the players explains that. Who sets up the game plan, and all the sub-plots? Thing for me is that the game strategy has been largely clueless for 3 years. Other teams are moving, and have moved forward. We seem to be treading water, and as fans, we are having the same conversations about our attack in particular for the last 2 years plus so far this season. That's why I am so pissed off with the performances so far this year with all the talent in this team.

In Wayne we trust right...

I know Dargan was a depth signing but from most accounts is a decent 7. Does anyone in the know think he might get a shot if our 2 play makers continue with the current clueless game strategy. We have zero in attack.., our best chances at scoring seem to be long range efforts or utter flukes. How's Macca shovelling it out to no one the other night and turning the ball over!! No one out there had any fucken idea what the play was.

He’s played 32 minutes off the bench yesterday. But hard to tell.

He went alright though.

I reckon Kodi has a month more but also don't be surprised to see Dargan start popping up on the bench or at least extended squad sometime therein.

He went alright though.

Yep he just needs time now he is back playing. But has all the right attributes to make it. I would say once back playing regularly he would be well ahead of Scarlett and Murphy in the pecking order.

Yep he just needs time now he is back playing. But has all the right attributes to make it. I would say once back playing regularly he would be well ahead of Scarlett and Murphy in the pecking order.

Yeah he had some nice touches yesterday, pushed into hooker and half, hard coming off the bench in a new team, first game and they've been terrible when you get on there.

He tried to get them moving, which is pretty much all you could hope for.

I dont see how replacing a bench player with a halfback is going to help anything tbh. If they come in, it has to be for Kodi or Milf. We aren't going to carry a halfback on the bench I wouldn't think. Wayne isn't going to hook Milf or Kodi during a game. If we drop a bench utility it has to be for somebody like Tagatese

The halves need someone to put the pressure on them , they are struggling so why not have another option. We had kodi on the bench so why not. You called for more creativity yourself and bird isn't moving to lock anytime soon..

Agree that coaching has to play a part in the way the team develops structured plays and strategy, but they do train together and run plays and simulations all week. The Titans weren't that good the other night we just had no idea how to put points on and dropped the ball at most opportunities. Even the old faithful backline sweep play was done in slow motion and looked clunky as ****. This play itself magnifies your point. Surely the coaches aren't telling Kodi to kick on the 4th when struggling to make 20m,or "make sure when Milf gets the ball he's flat footed with no room"... I just can't see Wayne Bennett, Walters and JD fucking this up. I'm hoping it's just pre season rust, but if it's not then I'm hoping Wayne has a plan B.

He went alright though.
Thanks for the update.
Bennett signed this kid for a reason I think. We had halves cover in Scarlet and even Bird before he signed him. Before the season started there were whispers that he was right in the mix for a starting spot, is this true? I can't help but think if he hadn't been injured Kodi may have been forced out pretty soon.

The halves need someone to put the pressure on them , they are struggling so why not have another option. We had kodi on the bench so why not. You called for more creativity yourself and bird isn't moving to lock anytime soon..

Kodi came on to play hooker though. When he had to move elsewhere he wasn't convincing. Having a half on the bench isnt going to put any pressure on the halves imo as Wayne just wont take them off barring injury during a game. Scarlett or Murphy haven't really got close yet to putting any pressure on our halves, remains to be seen what Dargan does. I still dont see us carrying a half on the bench though. Macca is an 80 min hooker so we dont need backup for him, so Bennett will either go with a utility who can play in the backs or go with 4 forwards.

Bird is already making noises about himself going missing at center 2 games in. He isnt going to be in the centers for much longer if he isnt getting involved more, and how we play i just dont think he will. Our centers havent really got that involved especially on the left side for a few years now. I'm pretty confident we will be seeing Bird either in the halves or at lock in the next 6 or 7 games.

Just throwing it out there but is there any reason Bird couldn't move into 11?

Kodi came on to play hooker though. When he had to move elsewhere he wasn't convincing. Having a half on the bench isnt going to put any pressure on the halves imo as Wayne just wont take them off barring injury during a game. Scarlett or Murphy haven't really got close yet to putting any pressure on our halves, remains to be seen what Dargan does. I still dont see us carrying a half on the bench though. Macca is an 80 min hooker so we dont need backup for him, so Bennett will either go with a utility who can play in the backs or go with 4 forwards.

Bird is already making noises about himself going missing at center 2 games in. He isnt going to be in the centers for much longer if he isnt getting involved more, and how we play i just dont think he will. Our centers havent really got that involved especially on the left side for a few years now. I'm pretty confident we will be seeing Bird either in the halves or at lock in the next 6 or 7 games.

How do centres get more involved other than the odd run from dummy half? Bird did quite a few of these runs I thought and only hodges could cause damage from there because he was a god. It's up to milf and kodi to set them up with plays to get them more involved. Milf usually steps back in and falls over or he passes to Glenn. Kodi goes to gillet or it's a Hail Mary pass to Roberts to create a miracle solo play. Our halves are killing our attack.

One thing I'd demand immediately from my players. When the ref calls fifth tackle we have a really slow play the ball. I see absolutely no advantage in trying to have a fast ptb on the fifth. I would make sure the defensive line is standing stock still, the markers directly behind one another. With the kicker positioned clear he would have much more time to select which part of the field to kick to, free from off side kick pressure. It would also assist our players to correctly position themselves.

How do centres get more involved other than the odd run from dummy half? Bird did quite a few of these runs I thought and only hodges could cause damage from there because he was a god. It's up to milf and kodi to set them up with plays to get them more involved. Milf usually steps back in and falls over or he passes to Glenn. Kodi goes to gillet or it's a Hail Mary pass to Roberts to create a miracle solo play. Our halves are killing our attack.

Some probably do a little more than ours, but it's a good point you make. Bird is already getting frustrated in the centers by all accounts.

I want to see a lot more of Kodi and Milf playing the same side, Milf with room to run at the line, Roberts and Opacic with room to support Milf. Gillett or Glenn running lines off Milf who runs from depth with one focus: get the ball to a hole runner.

NRL like any football code is a game of space. We seem to have very little, and very little strategy on creating it for our speed men, which is btw why I like the idea of Bird at lock to create extra options

Unread

Active Now

• Fozz
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.