PRE-GAME Round 5 - Knights vs Broncos

I dunno if Bird at lock will really help out attack that much. It's just adding another "run first" approach player to the ball playing duties.

One thing I'd demand immediately from my players. When the ref calls fifth tackle we have a really slow play the ball. I see absolutely no advantage in trying to have a fast ptb on the fifth. I would make sure the defensive line is standing stock still, the markers directly behind one another. With the kicker positioned clear he would have much more time to select which part of the field to kick to, free from off side kick pressure. It would also assist our players to correctly position themselves.

Good point. Seems a perfect way to utilise a Boyd trademark death stare to the ref whilst standing up slow as ****. He can throw in his arm waving too before he plays the ball.

Good point. Seems a perfect way to utilise a Boyd trademark death stare to the ref whilst standing up slow as ****. He can throw in his arm waving too before he plays the ball.
Ha ha....I'd use the same tactic when they've kicked long on the fifth. Our first two or three returns are usually one out stuff because there's only one player to choose from and that's so easy to defend. Why not buy some time to get some more troops behind the ruck and give the dummy half some options. It would improve our second ,third and fourth hitups because as it stands now, our second and third hitups are wasted on one outs that make little ground.

I dunno if Bird at lock will really help out attack that much. It's just adding another "run first" approach player to the ball playing duties.

It would be good to see Bird run at the line, get half way through and offload to Milf, Roberts, Gillett, Glenn, whoever, running in Support.

Actually, it would be just as good to see Milf and Kodi do the same

Ha ha....I'd use the same tactic when they've kicked long on the fifth. Our first two or three returns are usually one out stuff because there's only one player to choose from and that's so easy to defend. Why not buy some time to get some more troops behind the ruck and give the dummy half some options. It would improve our second ,third and fourth hitups because as it stands now, our second and third hitups are wasted on one outs that make little ground.

You are onto something. That is some innovative outside the box stuff that rugby league needs I feel. Quick play the balls and dummy half running from a kick return seems to be that old school mentality that has probably been drilled into players since they were kids. I'm calling it gamesmanship but the fullback could even pretend to have a sore neck or a cramp after the initial kick return just to let the forwards get back into position.

You are onto something. That is some innovative outside the box stuff that rugby league needs I feel. Quick play the balls and dummy half running from a kick return seems to be that old school mentality that has probably been drilled into players since they were kids. I'm calling it gamesmanship but the fullback could even pretend to have a sore neck or a cramp after the initial kick return just to let the forwards get back into position.

Not a problem with our fullback.

Jesus, we're off across the ditch next week and the week after we have the Storm.
They have to improve this week and win convincingly to get through the next few weeks and turn this ship around.The way this comp is this year, a down period will be very hard to get back up from.
Our draw is relentless.

how's Macca shovelling it out to no one the other night and turning the ball over!! No one out there had any fucken idea what the play was.
To me I think they were lined up to the right (and rightfully so) but Macca's plan A was the flat crash ball to a prop. He likes to put on little plays when there's a play the ball at around the 1m mark... case in point the dummy half try in the first half, but he also likes the grubber and is particularly fond of the crash ball.

I think the right play was to the right hitting Gillett against Elgey and looking to follow up with a spread to the left... but it's just Macca making up his mind at the play the ball and not being able to see it isn't on and moving to plan B.

Good thought there bro, but I thought he needs to be in ball playing position
Wade Graham says hi.

I've always been of the opinion that Bird's best position is second row. Workload is lower, he likes to get physical and runs great lines. His ball playing is not at the point where he can be in a key spine position in this current team but it is useful enough that it could be utilized in the second row.

Wade Graham says hi.

I've always been of the opinion that Bird's best position is second row. Workload is lower, he likes to get physical and runs great lines. His ball playing is not at the point where he can be in a key spine position in this current team but it is useful enough that it could be utilized in the second row.

Problem is, Alex Glenn is far from our biggest problem at the moment. Our defence is shot, our attack is shot, our enthusiasm is virtually non-existent, we have injuries mounting and not the best depth at the best of times and we have a very tough run of games coming up in the near future...

Until we get those issues somewhat right, I’m not sure wholesale structural changes are going to help much...

Last edited:
Problem is, Alex Glenn is far from our biggest problem at the moment. Our defence is shot, our attack is shot, our enthusiasm is virtually non-existent, we have injuries mounting and not the best depth at the best of times and we have a very tough run of games coming up in the near future...

Until,we get those issues somewhat right, I’m not sure wholesale structural changes are going to help much...
I didn't suggest to move him there next round just replying to a comment that appeared to suggest second row isn't a ball playing position.

FWIW I think Sua is earmarked for that spot in the future anyway as evidenced by his inclusion onto the bench this year

Jesus, we're off across the ditch next week and the week after we have the Storm.
They have to improve this week and win convincingly to get through the next few weeks and turn this ship around.The way this comp is this year, a down period will be very hard to get back up from.
Our draw is relentless.

It could be a season defining massacre in new zulland. Followed by the funeral against the storm. Then the feral bunnies will eat the left overs. I'm scared for the broncos this coming month

I didn't suggest to move him there next round just replying to a comment that appeared to suggest second row isn't a ball playing position.

FWIW I think Sua is earmarked for that spot in the future anyway as evidenced by his inclusion onto the bench this year

I think you’re probably right. Hopefully he lives up to the hype. Not much of that going on, right about now...

I dont see how replacing a bench player with a halfback is going to help anything tbh. If they come in, it has to be for Kodi or Milf. We aren't going to carry a halfback on the bench I wouldn't think. Wayne isn't going to hook Milf or Kodi during a game. If we drop a bench utility it has to be for somebody like Tagatese
Didn’t Wayne do exactly that last year with Marshall?

Didn’t Wayne do exactly that last year with Marshall?

Marshall though could play in the centers of he needed to. I think if a half doesn't perform then he just drops them like he did to hunt

Wade Graham says hi.

Makes a good point. Problem with Bird is not sure where he belongs. He is a good footballer but is he a centre, a 5/8, a lock or a 2nd rower? At rep level would say bench utility. Would still say that until he is match fit.

As for all the talk we are stocked in second row. We really aren’t for quality second row. Gillo is a must but he is out of form. Glenn is bench quality nowadays, Thaiday is done, Sua is as per usual Bennett forward coaching developing at a snail pace. As pointed out by others since ball often dies with second row might as well have some potent attaching weapons there.

Would prefer Bird developing as a ball playing lock (although a crack at hooker would be worth investigating) but could see him as a faster Wade Graham.

Unread

Active Now

• Yellowfella
  • Allo
  • Swordfish
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.