PRE-GAME Round 5 - Knights vs Broncos

Ha ha....I'd use the same tactic when they've kicked long on the fifth. Our first two or three returns are usually one out stuff because there's only one player to choose from and that's so easy to defend. Why not buy some time to get some more troops behind the ruck and give the dummy half some options. It would improve our second ,third and fourth hitups because as it stands now, our second and third hitups are wasted on one outs that make little ground.

Doing that just means the defensive line will be set - even if they don't jump early, they'll still be up in our faces, so we'll still be battered and pushed back and make no ground on those first carries (or the carries for the rest of the set after that).

The point of the backs making one-out scoots is that even though they're generally not as strong as the forwards, they have better footwork, can normally get to ground quicker, and can spring up for a quick PTB while the defensive line is still retreating. Which in turn allows the next runner to get the ball on the front foot with a single short pass from dummy-half, and gain 10 metres before hitting the defensive line, and once again get a quick PTB and on from there. It's no surprise we missed Oates in this department as he'd make a good 15 metres, carry defenders, and then either get a quick PTB or earn a penalty if the defence hung on too long. Perfect to get the sets started off well.

Jesus, we're off across the ditch next week and the week after we have the Storm.
They have to improve this week and win convincingly to get through the next few weeks and turn this ship around.The way this comp is this year, a down period will be very hard to get back up from.
Our draw is relentless.
I don't see a win over the next fortnight. Of the two I think Melbourne will be the easier ! This 2018 version of the Warriors is so so much better than any other in recent history. The kiwis are playing premiership football and Melbourne are not as good as in previous years.

Doing that just means the defensive line will be set - even if they don't jump early, they'll still be up in our faces, so we'll still be battered and pushed back and make no ground on those first carries (or the carries for the rest of the set after that).

The point of the backs making one-out scoots is that even though they're generally not as strong as the forwards, they have better footwork, can normally get to ground quicker, and can spring up for a quick PTB while the defensive line is still retreating. Which in turn allows the next runner to get the ball on the front foot with a single short pass from dummy-half, and gain 10 metres before hitting the defensive line, and once again get a quick PTB and on from there. It's no surprise we missed Oates in this department as he'd make a good 15 metres, carry defenders, and then either get a quick PTB or earn a penalty if the defence hung on too long. Perfect to get the sets started off well.
Morks, the defensive line is ALWAYS set in that scenario. I have carefully watched that circumstance for years and mentally contrast it with the 20 metre tap (7 or 6 tackles no difference) First tackle invariably makes 8-9 metres yet in the instance we are discussing it is down to 3-4 metres. I think you're way off base if you believe a flat footed defensive line will be up in our faces, it never is from a 20m restart and this is no different. What would be different is the dummy half would have multiple options, certainly by the third tackle.

Currently, with quick ptbs and no one to choose from we don't or aren't able to have multiple choices until the fourth or fifth hit up. If it was tried and guys stopped relying on our one outs to get them back onside we'd see a net gain of 25-30 metres overall. Next time you watch a game take notice of how many metres are made from a penalty/20 metre tap and then how many from the kick downfield.

I think it is time to really shake the tree. Clearly Boyd is not right. Clearly Milford is not a first tier #6. Clearly Nikorima is at best a bench player with some impact late in the half.

Milford to fullback, Bird to 6 and whoever is playing best halfback in the Qld cup to seven. Is it a perfect solution? No, but it can't be any worse that they have been serving up.

Without question. BRONCOS HAVE THE WORST 1,6,7 in the NRL.

I think it is time to really shake the tree. Clearly Boyd is not right. Clearly Milford is not a first tier #6. Clearly Nikorima is at best a bench player with some impact late in the half.

Milford to fullback, Bird to 6 and whoever is playing best halfback in the Qld cup to seven. Is it a perfect solution? No, but it can't be any worse that they have been serving up.

Without question. BRONCOS HAVE THE WORST 1,6,7 in the NRL.

A bit drastic atm but i definitely think we need a new 7 and a shake up in the forwards (sims definitely)

A bit drastic atm but i definitely think we need a new 7 and a shake up in the forwards (sims definitely)

It is very hard to argue that on present showing though that this spine is not the worst in the comp.

It is very hard to argue that on present showing though that this spine is not the worst in the comp.
Could be worse, we could have Canberra's spine.

If we had played Canberra instead of the Titans on Sunday, I have no doubt they would have also beat us.
I think the Knights will go close, if not will get us on Saturday night (I will be there..) unless Wayne starts to really shake the tree. For me I would be letting Offa, Niko, Thaiday sit out this week, maybe Sims also..
They all need a serious kick into gear.. We could EASILY be 0/4

If we had played Canberra instead of the Titans on Sunday, I have no doubt they would have also beat us.
I think the Knights will go close, if not will get us on Saturday night (I will be there..) unless Wayne starts to really shake the tree. For me I would be letting Offa, Niko, Thaiday sit out this week, maybe Sims also..
They all need a serious kick into gear.. We could EASILY be 0/4
Definitely sims to imo maybe niko to the bench or dargan to the bench but fai or taga need to come in for sure. The return of oates and TPJ will help also

Definitely sims to imo maybe niko to the bench or dargan to the bench but fai or taga need to come in for sure. The return of oates and TPJ will help also
If Sims can play like he did against the Tigers, I am happy for him to be in the team, but gave nothing on Sunday night..
Not sure if TPJ or Oates will be ready for this weekend? If they are, that'll be a massive boost.
I think we missed Oates alot on the weekend, and will be a big loss if he walks at seasons end imo
Can't understand why Taga can't get a run, if he has been close surely this is his weekend to shine

I've actually said before that I don't actually rate Isaako as highly as some others, I definitely don't see him as a gun fullback (but certainly hope to be wrong) as I rate Allan much higher (but a lot of rumours he is out the door) BUT let's not kid ourselves, regardless of how good or bad he plays, he is a certainty in the side due to his goal kicking and ability to take drop kicks, especially while Kahu is out.

Watching Souths v Bears and Allan scores a good try. Souths were outclassed all day but he stayed around and tried really hard.

Stats will be done today; see if I am accurate.

I think we are in real trouble for this game... Newcastle always play well at home and we always seem to turn up very flat at Newcastle. There needs to be a huge change in attitude for us to stay in it otherwise they could blow us off the park early.

I think Sims has to be dropped for this game. He was given the role of starting and his drop in the first set almost set the tone for the rest of the night. I think Sims poor form along with Sammy also ended up with Offa playing extended minutes?? I was surprised to see he didn't go over 100m because he was out there a long time.

I'd say the intent going in was Thaiday and Offa as prop rotation, but I can barely recall Sammy being out there. He'd be on very thin ice for me.

Given how much of a failure the prop rotation was on Sunday I can't see how they go with Opa and Sua again...they didnt do anything overly wrong but one of them has to go for Taga, as much as I hate to say it, but he is our only leftover depth for prop.

Sammy usually comes out with a bit more intent after getting called out, but if he can't find some form then he offers very little... and I'd take Sua over him if it continues

I hope they get absolutely flogged in training this week, because that game was garbage... their job each week is to turn up for 80mins and very few actually did on Sunday and something needs to be done to create a culture change.

Morks, the defensive line is ALWAYS set in that scenario. I have carefully watched that circumstance for years and mentally contrast it with the 20 metre tap (7 or 6 tackles no difference) First tackle invariably makes 8-9 metres yet in the instance we are discussing it is down to 3-4 metres. I think you're way off base if you believe a flat footed defensive line will be up in our faces, it never is from a 20m restart and this is no different. What would be different is the dummy half would have multiple options, certainly by the third tackle.

Currently, with quick ptbs and no one to choose from we don't or aren't able to have multiple choices until the fourth or fifth hit up. If it was tried and guys stopped relying on our one outs to get them back onside we'd see a net gain of 25-30 metres overall. Next time you watch a game take notice of how many metres are made from a penalty/20 metre tap and then how many from the kick downfield.

20 metre restarts are different again. More often than not it's an outside back running it, and they do that effectively on the fly, so they have momentum on their side, and like I said earlier, backs have agility and footwork to get between defenders and get a quick PTB. If you ever see one where the player taking the tap has to wait (say due to their own players being off-side still) and they have to tap it flat-footed, they'll only make 5-6 metres unless the defensive line is super passive.

In the case of a slow PTB though, with both sides reset, the moment the ball touches the player's foot, the defence can spring off their line aggressively. The dummy-half won't have been able to get a run-up to carry momentum for themself to take a scoot, and even if there is a forward running on to the ball, the hooker still has to pick up the ball and pass it sidewards & backwards, losing valuable time. In that situation, there is no way the runner is making more than 5-6 metres, and they'll often get swamped and pushed back.

O please sweet baby Jesus let Tevita Pangai Jr be fit to play.

geez I am not enthused about this game at all after sundays performance. a real risk they could ambush us after losing their last couple.

Unread

Active Now

• Yellowfella
  • Allo
  • Swordfish
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.