Team Lists

Status
Not open for further replies.
Morkel

Morkel

International Captain
Contributor
Jan 25, 2013
My preference isn’t for Bird in the halves. But the question for me is will he be a better option this week then Knic?

I don't think so, at least not compared to a 100% fit KNik. As a five-eighth at best Bird be a Hoffman with the ability to actually pass, but not paired with a non-organiser like Milford. The only way it will work is if the forwards absolutely dominate and it means the halves aren't required to organise per se, they're simply given enough space and momentum for their running game to take advantage. Like I said above, it'll take a game like round 2 to do that, and I don't know the forwards are embarrassed enough this week for them to go neanderthal on the Warriors.

Jason Simmons

Jason Simmons

NRL Captain
Apr 18, 2013
The call against him last week was utter bullshit though and most definitely cost us the game.

He does need to be a bit more careful though, because he seems to be building a rep for himself.

Yep, playing the ball properly isn’t really a defensible argument for an NRL player and international. Stand up, put your bloody foot on the ball and play it.

It isn’t really that much to expect...

T

Thelmus

NRL Player
Apr 19, 2016
I actually think there very little wrong with Opacic as a centre, other than he lacks the x-factor of the likes of Roberts (but a better defender) or the skills of bird (but has passed every question asked of him in the NRL). if he didn't drop two balls in his final trial, he might have started round 1.
he would be in every 17 if I was picking it and most times the starting 13. its just as well I don't, I suppose because I've been known to be a little ditzy of some things (kicker anyone? :P) but if nothing else I admire his tenacity, attitude and work ethic. Those are things that don't alway earn you a starting spot, but sometimes should.
I hope Bird if he plays at half, finds a way to work with Milford. I'm not sure what his kicking game is like, but at this point, I'm not sure it could be much worse. The concern will be that he either takes opportunities away from Milford or ends up a 3rd centre in all but name. I hope not and he gives some confidence in his combination with Milford, but you never know.
Langer and Stuart seemed compatible halves until they played together.

Foordy

Foordy

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008
I think Bellamy is more concerned about his own team’s start to the season than worrying about others.

I think it’s amazing that the Storm are in a surreally similar situation to us, and yet they’re copping very little for it. The whole team is mis-firing, having trouble adjusting to the new season, yet the halves copping the bulk of the blame. Will Bellamy cop it if Croft II is just an ineffective, as I suspect he may be? And how will this effect Croft I’s career, dropped for a situation that is largely not his fault?

It is quite amazing that we are copping far more than either the Cowboys and Storm, both of whom have won less games than us, especially given that the so-called experts were tipping us to miss the 8 while also tipping the Storm and Cowboys to feature in the top 4.

GCBRONCO

GCBRONCO

International Captain
Mar 4, 2008
It is quite amazing that we are copping far more than either the Cowboys and Storm, both of whom have won less games than us, especially given that the so-called experts were tipping us to miss the 8 while also tipping the Storm and Cowboys to feature in the top 4.

I'm not surprised at all, its more fun to rip on the Broncos.

Alec

Alec

International Rep
Mar 4, 2008
I think Bird can end up being a pretty good half, but again, not the type we need. I can see him being more useful than Kodi though, I guess. I can see him running more directly, like Foran used to in the past, which would balance Milf's sideways game.

the_next

the_next

NRL Captain
Mar 9, 2018
Will be interesting to see if Bird does in fact play in the halves. Either way, it's time for him to stand up. Been good defensively, but with a big $ contract, comes big expectations.
Not sure of his kicking game, and if his fitness is up to a halves standard, but this could really be the opportunity he is seeking with getting more ball.
Although he and Milf seems to be similar players (again,) I think the best option would be for Milf at 7 Bird at 6.
I can see Bird doing a lot more talking then what Kodi offers, Bird seems to be a player that genuinely gets angry and frustrated when things aren't going right and playing in the centers wouldn't allow for him to have too much of a say. He IMO has a lot more confidence then what Kodi offers, even when the going gets tough..
The more I think about it, the more I can actually see this working better then the Kodi/Milf experiment (although it wouldn't be hard.) I wouldn't mind seeing Dargan get a run in the halves, but I think with Bird's size this game against the Warriors might work better with Bird in the 6, and easing Dargan off the bench to give him a taste of first grade.
Whatever Wayne decides, the boys really need to lift. Bird could prove his worth if he does get a run in the halves and plays like we all are expecting of him coming to Brisbane.

International Rep
Apr 14, 2013
The Warriors are in the top five for tries conceded in each of the three channels of the field but can the Broncos take advantage of that.

Broncos attack- tries on the right- two (16th) and three down the left (13th).

An oddity the Broncos have broken equal first number of tackles with 30 per game.

Who would have thought you'd ever see a Warriors team second best completion and third fewest errors for the competition.

Defence too- 65 points from first five games their best ever- previous 82 in 1996.

Mitch06

Mitch06

NRL Player
Jan 23, 2014
Afoa, Paasi and Blair are the Warriors starting middle forwards - not overly impressive is it?

BroncsFan

BroncsFan

International Captain
Contributor
Jul 28, 2016
Afoa, Paasi and Blair are the Warriors starting middle forwards - not overly impressive is it?
Paasi is playing pretty average at the moment but Bunty has started very strong.

Blair is also in the role a lot of people here wanted him to be in at the broncos. His kick pressure on Milf will be frustrating to watch and if he injures him with a dirty late shot I'll be fucking ropeable

GCBRONCO

GCBRONCO

International Captain
Mar 4, 2008
Paasi is playing pretty average at the moment but Bunty has started very strong.

Blair is also in the role a lot of people here wanted him to be in at the broncos. His kick pressure on Milf will be frustrating to watch and if he injures him with a dirty late shot I'll be fucking ropeable

Good thing Kodi isn't playing, Blair would have a field day when he is trying to kick.

holdzy

holdzy

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
May 5, 2016

We've gotta sic Lodge on Blair, put a hurting on him early and try to minimize his grub.

Cult

Cult

International Rep
Contributor
Oct 17, 2013
And Daniel O'Dowell just announced that it was Matt Gillett on Twitter too. He is yet to announce whether they're related though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Unread

Active Now

• eggstar10
  • Shane Tronc
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.