[RUMOR] Griffins future in doubt, Bennett/Walters to coach?

Steve Renouf

Steve Renouf

NYC Player
Aug 31, 2012
Yes, it is very very good. How good will become apparent when the side is both properly conditioned and coached
You mean like they have been the last 2 years? I am also looking forward to seeing how Hook can coach the older players into becoming younger and fitter.

He can't even get the young fit ones to be fit enough for 80 minutes. :laugh:

Last edited:
rnabokov

rnabokov

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008
You mean like they have been the last 2 years? I am also looking forward to seeing how Hook can coach the older players into becoming younger and fitter.

He can't even get the young fit ones to be fit enough for 80 minutes. :laugh:

Your point about Griffin is valid.

I also see see a proper team selection as an ideal blend of youth and experience.

Keen to see it happen

Marsden63

Marsden63

BRL Player
Jul 5, 2013
I think I would like Mal Meninga as head coach and Hagan and Walters as assistant coaches. We would do alright with that combination. Please keep in mind this is my opinion and does not represent the opinion of the Brisbane Broncos, NRL, QLD Rugby League or BRONCOSHQ. Spoken by a moron for all morons with a too high opinion of themselves.
Opinions are like assholes,everybody has one. I would like to see Walters/hagan involved in some way & definitely get Wayne back as coaching director. If not, how about tim sheens?. Current Australian coach with plenty of experience & who knows, maybe a change of scenery,new club would be of benefit to him & the broncs.

Socnorb

Socnorb

NRL Captain
Contributor
Aug 5, 2013
A list of pro's and cons always helps me with these situations . Pros : he's calm, seems to have the players on-board ,he's not Ricky Stuart ,would be cheaper Than Stuart, He's working with the least credentialed side in broncos history and is being competitive in most games. He's working under the salary cap with cash to spare(why). Has had concentrated injury's to outside backs to contend with(not sure this is a pro. Cons: We've had the worst season ever result wise. He doesn't seem to be able to prepare an 80min side. Is eroded club support and culture with bad results. Is not preparing future stars with the exception of Oates. Seems to allow lax Discipline within the playing group. still has salary cap in the bank. Declined recruitment of established and future stars.(till now) . Bennett took a couple of years with a much better roster. the discipline is the worrying thing for me.

C

Coxy

International Captain
Mar 4, 2008
I think the myth that our squad is useless needs to be discarded. Across the field (except perhaps the halves) the Broncos have some decent players. That's not debatable.

What's debatable is a) how they're used, and b) their attitude. Given comments from Alex Glenn today, I get the feeling the players are soft in the head.

Waynesaurus

Waynesaurus

NRL Captain
Jun 3, 2013
I think the myth that our squad is useless needs to be discarded. Across the field (except perhaps the halves) the Broncos have some decent players. That's not debatable.

What's debatable is a) how they're used, and b) their attitude. Given comments from Alex Glenn today, I get the feeling the players are soft in the head.

Totally agree.

broncos4life

broncos4life

International Captain
Forum Staff
Oct 5, 2011

I think most of them can't give a **** about winning. The guys 25 and under in the team seem to just wanna have fun with there mates, winning games is secondary. I think if you asked most of them if the want to win and the answered honestly, the response would be "meh, I guess so, I mean its better than losing... As long as it doesn't interfere with our kava sessions"

Waynesaurus

Waynesaurus

NRL Captain
Jun 3, 2013
If league was just about ability then we wouldn't see upsets of 'poorer' quality teams beating the top teams.

noisetheory

noisetheory

NRL Captain
Mar 31, 2008
I think most of them can't give a **** about winning. The guys 25 and under in the team seem to just wanna have fun with there mates, winning games is secondary. I think if you asked most of them if the want to win and the answered honestly, the response would be "meh, I guess so, I mean its better than losing... As long as it doesn't interfere with our kava sessions"

we certainly don't play, for the most part, like a team thats hungry to win.

Mister Wright

Mister Wright

NRL Captain
Jun 8, 2009
I think a lot of it comes down to how successful the club has been. Even though it may not be concious to them there is always a thought that no matter what happens we'll scrape into the finals and everything will be ok. I know as a fan I think that. It wasn't until the 77th minute of last weekend's game against Newcastle that I actually came to the realisation that we won't be in the finals. We usually find some way of making it. We have now missed the finals two out of four years which is not good enough. We have never been a club that has had a sustained down period like many other clubs. It might be time for our players to rethink and decide it is actually up to them to win (and make the finals).

Brett

Brett

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Jul 27, 2013
When someone or the team is losing, there's a lot of psychology involved. I don't doubt for a second that every one of the Broncos players wants to win - No one likes to lose, especially professional sports players. The problem comes when they start to hit the wall or make a mistake, get down on themselves or the opposition team scores points. This is where mentally, they're lacking.

You see it in Ben Hunt. The kid has all the talent and potential in the world - He's done some tremendous things on the football field that had us all going, "This kid could be the next Langer." Then, for whatever reason, he has 2 shockers in a row, one which was deplorable, let's be honest, then his last game was only just passable by first grade standard. Why is this? I think he's mentally weak at times. This comes down to man management and having a good sports psychologist for the players to talk to. Put yourself in his shoes for a minute - You've been playing 20 minutes a game as backup hooker for 3 years, now you've got Alan Langer's number on your back and the weight of the entire club and its supporters on your shoulders.

It's extremely possible to overcome. There are techniques you can use to overcome these issues, but one has to ask, is this being addressed?

Broncoman

Broncoman

State of Origin Rep
Oct 9, 2011
Here's a question as bad a job as Stuart has done with the Eels this season, if it was Griffin there do you think he would have done better or worse?

The results would probably be the same Parra need a coach of epic proportions to get themselves out of this mess.

vertigo

vertigo

State of Origin Rep
Mar 2, 2010
I wonder how Adam Reynolds would've turned out if he had been playing bench hooker for years under Griffin.

LittleDavey

LittleDavey

NRL Captain
Mar 25, 2013

IMO this has been evident for years - when they are playing with confidence, they look like world beaters. When in front, however, there is no hunger to put teams to the sword, again this has been evident for years. When was the last time we beat another side by 20? By 30? And when out of confidence they are terrible.

They are a team that seems to thrive SO much on confidence. But that won't win the close games. That won't get you out of a slump. This team definitely needs some mental toughness. Harden the **** up, boys!

Russell Coight

Russell Coight

QCup Player
Jul 10, 2013
Just watched the press conference, hook is such a smug **** i can't stand the sight of him anymore.

Steve Renouf

Steve Renouf

NYC Player
Aug 31, 2012
You see it in Ben Hunt. The kid has all the talent and potential in the world - He's done some tremendous things on the football field that had us all going, "This kid could be the next Langer."
Ummm no.
Not "all" of us.
Remember, what you think is not what everyone thinks. :thumbup1:

Bull Shark

Bull Shark

State of Origin Rep
Jun 4, 2008
When someone or the team is losing, there's a lot of psychology involved. I don't doubt for a second that every one of the Broncos players wants to win - No one likes to lose, especially professional sports players. The problem comes when they start to hit the wall or make a mistake, get down on themselves or the opposition team scores points. This is where mentally, they're lacking.

You see it in Ben Hunt. The kid has all the talent and potential in the world - He's done some tremendous things on the football field that had us all going, "This kid could be the next Langer." Then, for whatever reason, he has 2 shockers in a row, one which was deplorable, let's be honest, then his last game was only just passable by first grade standard. Why is this? I think he's mentally weak at times. This comes down to man management and having a good sports psychologist for the players to talk to. Put yourself in his shoes for a minute - You've been playing 20 minutes a game as backup hooker for 3 years, now you've got Alan Langer's number on your back and the weight of the entire club and its supporters on your shoulders.

It's extremely possible to overcome. There are techniques you can use to overcome these issues, but one has to ask, is this being addressed?

Hunt has produced some nice touches but I certainly haven't seen anything like what you're suggesting here ... he hasn't done anything that even comes close to what the likes of Langer, Hayne, Barba, Cherry Evans, Thurston, Cronk, et al have pulled off ... so until such time as he does, he really doesn't have "all the talent in the world" ...

Active Now

• Bucking Beads
  • Jedhead
  • Old Mate
  • Mighty Bronx
  • Fitzy
  • Santa
  • Big Del
  • bazza
  • Browny
  • TwoLeftFeet
  • Locky24
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Wolfie
  • Manofoneway
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.