[Rumour] Chris Sandow ---> Broncos

I'd be happy to have Sandow come up if he was as cheap as chips. Couple reasons for that are , his presence would maintain pressure on Hunt and secondly he does possess the talent to play first grade. He is proven although naturally he is not like Thurston or Cronk etc. If he was cheap and looking for redemption he could well be a great acquisition . Sometimes when it dawns on a player they have a last shot they grab the chance. The gambler in me would punt on a bargain basement player.

Cheap does not mean good value.

Its funny that Griffin would not want Sandow after the big wraps he gave him this time last year. I hope we get him.

Cookies must be enabled. | The Australian
Brisbane coach Anthony Griffin says Chris Sandow can do things others can't

THE re-emergence of Chris Sandow at Parramatta has been a chief talking point among the Brisbane Broncos this week.

Coach Anthony Griffin has given orders to try to shut down Sandow at the earliest opportunity because of the heightened threat he poses.
"You want to tackle him quickly because he's such a good passer of the football," Griffin said yesterday as the Broncos held their final session before flying to Sydney to face the Eels tonight.
"He'll come at you. He's made a lot of line breaks this year; playing a lot differently this year - a lot more direct."
This time last year Sandow was sent to NSW Cup to try to rediscover form and confidence.
The man who gave those orders, coach Stephen Kearney, is now Griffin's assistant at Red Hill. He would have passed on some information about the dangers of Sandow, who has the highest 40-20 ratio in the game alongside Warriors half Shaun Johnson, and Jarryd Hayne, the second-best tackle-breaker behind Greg Inglis.

"He just has a real X-factor about him because with his short kicking game and running game, he does things a lot of other guys can't do," Griffin said of Sandow.
"You just want to get your hands on him all the time. He's backing himself a lot more. He kicks a lot of 40-20s and he just seems to be very confident, very positive in his decision-making.
"So to beat Parramatta you've got to do a good job on him."
The Eels will have to watch two Brisbane players returning from injury - Justin Hodges (hip) and Josh McGuire (calf). The pair were last-minute withdrawals against Souths last weekend.
McGuire's work on the tackle bag yesterday left a few teammates sore and sorry.
The prop forward has only played three games this year due to niggling injuries.
And David Stagg returns after five weeks out with damaged medial ligaments.

You rarely see an opposition coach say how shit the opposition is.

Yeah, coaches do it all the time, hell anyone who is a Broncos supporter from the early days would know what the huge praise before the match usually produce from us, lost so many games because it got to the players ego too often. As far as Sandow goes, his not the longterm option we need, Barba and Milford provide the X factor we require, what we need is the player who can guide the side around the park and ticks all the important boxes consistently, and that isn't Sandow.

Last edited:
Aye, it also used to feed into the opposition as well. Gould is the master at it, at both state & club level. He'd remind his boys how good the opposition were and really rub them up the wrong way until game day where they usually put in well above expectations.

He's got a pretty fair record against us ol' Gus.

I never believe it when Gus praises us.

Remember when Gus said we'll win the premiership in 2012? :turtle:
I remember when, after NSW smashed QLD in 2000. "This is the start of a dynasty"!

Yeah, coaches do it all the time, hell anyone who is a Broncos supporter from the early days would know what the huge praise before the match usually produce from us, lost so many games because it got to the players ego too often. As far as Sandow goes, his not the longterm option we need, Barba and Milford provide the X factor we require, what we need is the player who can guide the side around the park and ticks all the important boxes consistently, and that isn't Sandow.

After the game the other day I wouldn't say what we needed was organizing. We made metres, passed well, tackled well. Could you imagine the advantage we would have had if we had someone who could kick a ball? Would have helped massively.

After the game the other day I wouldn't say what we needed was organizing. We made metres, passed well, tackled well. Could you imagine the advantage we would have had if we had someone who could kick a ball? Would have helped massively.

I wouldn't called that organised sets of play at all from what I saw against the Bulldogs at times it was downright sloppy especially anywhere deep in their half and unless we address it soon the problem will exist into 2015, passing from dummy half and taking a hitup is one thing and often that's largely the work of the hooker, executing set plays, directing the outside and inside players to where they need to be and your general kicking game(though I didn't mention it, it's an area I look for in that player to fill the gap) are area's we desperately need to improve and having someone who is competent to do that at a consistent level is what is required that will take pressure of the x factor players in the spine who will then be more free to inject themselves at their choosing, it's why the Walters/Langer and Lockyer/Perry combinations worked so well.

Last edited:
We need Macca taking all our long kicks, be it at dummy half or first receiver.

Our top two halves options are Hunt and Kahu. It's hardly confidence inspiring. I wouldn't rush him into the team, I'd like to have him as an option if the price is right.

Screw it, let's just throw Marmin into the side. Having family members in the same side worked out in the past :takdir:

Does anyone still want Sandow here? we would've lost our first 2 games if he was playing.

That's assuming he was playing as hopelessly as Hunt and Hoffman in attack. Even for Sandow, that's pretty unlikely.

That's assuming he was playing as hopelessly as Hunt and Hoffman in attack. Even for Sandow, that's pretty unlikely.

Hoffman and Hunt are defending well.......Sandow is a liability there. Whatever he provides in attack isn't enough to ignore his really bad defence.

I'm still very anti-Sandow showing up on our door step.

Hunt and Hoffman have a total of 3 try assists in 2 games and have defended really well.

Would Sandow have kicked better? Quite probably. Would he have 2 or 3 assists? Not likely. Would he have let in a couple of tries? More than likely. Would he have lost the ball through brain snaps? Almost certainly.

Seriously people. Just because he can do flashy stuff, doesn't mean he would be better for us than what we have now. And if we're gonna take a gamble on a flashy player with dodgy defense, I'd rather it be Nikorima.

Last edited:
Humble pie, anyone? It tastes especially bitter.

Unread

Active Now

• Porthoz
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.