Sack Griffin/New Coach Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
The feeling I get from him is that he doesn't really care about who he's coaching, as long as he's got a job. That's obviously just my opinion, it could be the exact opposite.

Maybe he gives the players cuddles when the cameras are off :laugh:
It's well known he has the support of the playing group. The reality is he has inherited the weakest roster in broncos history, no surprise the we had the worst result in 13. I don't buy that there is some magic coach who could've got too much more out of the 13 roster.

Because those factors have little influence on their performance as a coach.

It's a results driven business and it should always come down to who's the best man for the job, not the profile of the candidate. Otherwise, the Broncos may as well just scout Wally Lewis and wash their hands of it.

Sure they do! The rapport he has with his players is often the decisive factor on how much the players put in. A club legend, or someone who is extremely passionate about the club, will have a much better chance of the players buying in to his plan.

If I had to choose between Kevin Walters and a premiership, I'd choose the latter.

If passion was such a big deal, we would never sign anyone. Sorry Barba, Milford etc. We don't want you.

If passion was such a big deal, we would never sign anyone. Sorry Barba, Milford etc. We don't want you.

Exactly. And sticky Ricky would be the most successful coach of all time

Sure they do! The rapport he has with his players is often the decisive factor on how much the players put in. A club legend, or someone who is extremely passionate about the club, will have a much better chance of the players buying in to his plan.

Hence, little.

That profile only gets you so far with the playing group as well. When the players follow a mediocre gameplan, they gradually grow complacent and that's when things turn from bad to worse.

Priorities are important.

I don't buy this at all. I doubt Bennett had much passion for the Dragons. And it would have been impossible for Bellamy to grow up a passionate Storm fan. And Manly man Hasler seems to have had huge problems getting the Dogs to buy into his game plan of using forwards to do a lot of short passing.

Bottom line is at the end of the day the only passion a coach needs to have to be effective is the passion of winning and being the best in the business. Beyond that it's all about other qualities.

It's well known he has the support of the playing group. The reality is he has inherited the weakest roster in broncos history, no surprise the we had the worst result in 13. I don't buy that there is some magic coach who could've got too much more out of the 13 roster.

What are you on about lol, who said someone could've done a better job with the roster we had than Griffin? This argument started in response to Maguire vs Walters/Bennett

O_O

What are you on about lol, who said someone could've done a better job with the roster we had than Griffin? This argument started in response to Maguire vs Walters/Bennett

O_O
Ummmm. The thread is called sack Griffin , new coach discussion, I thought my point was both obvious and relevant. That said I do agree, this is a results business, and griffin is in the home stretch one way or another, poisoned chalice or not.
you're saying you think he's only interested in keeping his job and umm it just seems a dopey argument.
what would prove his commitment to you?

Last edited:

I think we are far enough down the track in the Griffin era to say he has had a big enough influence on this squad to own it mostly by his inability to identify weakness and change things as much as his game plans.

Loyalty is an excellent quality to have but not at the expense of being blinded by it.

I think we are far enough down the track in the Griffin era to say he has had a big enough influence on this squad to own it mostly by his inability to identify weakness and change things as much as his game plans.

Loyalty is an excellent quality to have but not at the expense of being blinded by it.

Judging by our recent recruitment I don't think saying he can't identify weakness is a fair assessment at all

Judging by our recent recruitment I don't think saying he can't identify weakness is a fair assessment at all

It took him 2 years to identify it. Plus we are going into a season with out experienced halves, id say thats a recruitment weakness for sure.

We had locky. There is no way it could be weaker IMO

That's the one positive we had.

Other than that, we had a bunch of rookies in their second year, Josh Hoffman was in his first real one, Hodges missed the whole year, and even despite all that, the most scary thing was that our best front rower was Nick Kenny.

I liked him, and he wasn't exactly bad or anything. He was solid. But Joel Clinton left the previous year, so Kenny was literally our best option at prop. I'm surprised we even got so close to the finals (and would have probably made it if Henjak let Lockyer play in the final rounds).

If Lockyer played in the final rounds in 2010 we would've scrapped into the finals we were going along pretty well till he did his ribs in the game against the Cowboys. Without him the team fell to pieces and we couldn't win another game which cost us a finals place.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• Bucking Beads
  • Broncosgirl
  • Fozz
  • Dreaglor
  • Xzei
  • MTF75
  • Bongo
  • GCBRONCO
  • theshed
  • broncos4life
  • Browny
  • broncsfan88
  • Old Mate
  • I bleed Maroon
  • Jazza
  • Behind enemy lines
  • Sproj
  • The Strapper
  • The Don
... and 6 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.