Sack Griffin/New Coach Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
2010 v 2013 makes for a good argument.

Can see both sides of the argument but I believe a player of Lockyer's stature makes a huge difference and can really take a lot of pressure off his coach and influence the team - all apart of being a five eigth and the reigning Australian + Queensland captain with over 300 games experience at the top level.

A player of his calibre only needs enough quality around him to be effective and at that point he still had one of the best backs in the world, period, in Folau and arguably one of the best backrow formations we had in Thaiday, Parker, Te'o, Gillett & to an extent Glenn & Setu (both didn't play a whole lot of backrow though).

Factor in better squad depth and the argument of a weaker competition and I'd say 2013 was just a tad more dire - but not by a whole lot.

Griffin came in as a rookie coach, do you think he has the total call on recruitment?

Oh yeah, one of the best shows on television, never miss an episode.

Whatshowareyoutalkingabout?

Came across this and I just had to use it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Judging by our recent recruitment I don't think saying he can't identify weakness is a fair assessment at all

Well, waiting for talent to get sacked would have been great in the last few years but it's hardly a plan to build a club on.

Well, waiting for talent to get sacked would have been great in the last few years but it's hardly a plan to build a club on.

Barba wasn't sacked, in fact the bulldogs did everything they could to cover the whole thing up until they realised he wanted out

Lowrie wasn't sacked

Milford wasn't sacked

Vidot wasn't sacked

Mills wasn't sacked

Martin Kennedy wasn't sacked.

Refresh my memory on who was sacked?

Moreover the elite talent has been locked in over the past several seasons, there hasn't been anything available.Inglis was probably the last till he got a case of the Ivan's

Barba wasn't sacked, in fact the bulldogs did everything they could to cover the whole thing up until they realised he wanted out

Lowrie wasn't sacked

Milford wasn't sacked

Vidot wasn't sacked

Mills wasn't sacked

Martin Kennedy wasn't sacked.

Refresh my memory on who was sacked?

Barba wasn't recruited, spin it any way you want we got lucky.

Milford isn't here yet, and once again we got lucky.

Lowrie, released on compassionate grounds, read we don't want you.

Vidot was released early because the Dragons lost patience with him.

Mills has talent but was attracting the interest of at least 3 other clubs as early as April last year before landing at Red Hill. He is fragile, and has had plenty of injuries including 2 ACLs.

Kennedy is a good signing if he gets past the ASADA infraction notice supposedly coming his way.

Those signings are hardly the result of some think tank that sat down to work out our problems.
You might like sloppy seconds but I don't. We need halves and at least a 9 who can push Macca to a new level

Right, and where are we supposed to get those from [MENTION=1978]Dexter[/MENTION].

I'm asking because it's easy to say we were lucky, but I don't know how we could have done better, unless you're one of those that believes we coulda, shoulda have got Thurston, Cronk, DCE and Smith already signed and delivered...

Mills has talent but was attracting the interest of at least 3 other clubs as early as April last year before landing at Red Hill. He is fragile, and has had plenty of injuries including 2 ACLs.

Kennedy is a good signing if he gets past the ASADA infraction notice supposedly coming his way.

Those signings are hardly the result of some think tank that sat down to work out our problems.
You might like sloppy seconds but I don't. We need halves and at least a 9 who can push Macca to a new level

But not a single one of those players were sacked. Which players the Broncos signed were sacked from their clubs?

I have more to say on this which I will later when I can. But in the meantime, none of them were sacked even by your own round up, so what were you meaning when you said they were sacked?

Sermantics FMD it's like conversing with Ap, you know exactly where I'm coming from but in future I will be careful to choose my words more precisely so we don't get bogged down discussing the wording instead of our different points of view.

Right, and where are we supposed to get those from @Dexter.

I'm asking because it's easy to say we were lucky, but I don't know how we could have done better, unless you're one of those that believes we coulda, shoulda have got Thurston, Cronk, DCE and Smith already signed and delivered...

At the time those guys were potentially available we were sticking to the she'll be right with the current mob mantra, so yes in a way, if Griffin and co had have seen we were going nowhere with Wal and Hoffman couldn't produce points at fullback etc etc we at least could have had a crack at those guys.

The key position stars are few and far between, all the more reason to plan ahead and at least have a go.

It may have been convenient but that doesn't mean the recruitment officers were sitting on their hands. For what we know, they may have considered going after the likes of Tomkins, Widdop and co but then along came Barba + Milford's manager and they went down that path.

Sure, you could make the argument that the recruitment in 2011 + 2012 was poor. Heck, I'd agree on 2012 but I'm unsure of what the club was really working with - I know they had to re-sign a ton of promising up and coming players who helped take us to the semis, but I'm unsure on what did & didn't happen other than we released one of our best up and coming players and the other suffered a career debilitating injury which really hurt the club.

Not to mention, the pickings weren't that great for a quality fullback or half, in total these were on offer...

Of those that signed...

Fullbacks
Darius Boyd
Michael Gordon

Halves
Todd Carney
Aiden Sezer
Albert Kelly
James Maloney

Of those, Boyd was never going to be tethered away from Bennett, Sezer was basically in the same position as Norman, Kelly was starting to get tossed around a fair bit and Maloney was looking to move to Sydney.

Gordon & Carney have turned out to be handy purchases at Cronulla but there were arguments made against both at the time and until Cronulla actually makes any real impact in the finals, other than being awarded 7 tackles, it doesn't really count for a whole lot.

Obviously the list doesn't consider the likes of JT, Cronk etc. who were off-contract so I guess that makes it flawed but good luck getting those players away from that club. These were the players who were looking for greener pastures that slipped through our net.

Last edited:
I totally agree with dexter, we got nothing but lucky with the signings we got. They fell into the broncos lap, after continuing to baulk at going into the player market, so anyone who thinks the recruitments undo the lack of foresight then you are kidding yourselves.

So it seems Gee and Griffin can't do anything right in some peoples opinion.

They complain that we stick with whats on our books

we discard some dead weight in the likes of Wallace and sign one of the best fullbacks in the game (Barba) and one of the best young talents in the game (Milford) and people still find something to complain about :rolleyes:

Both Milford and Barba could have easily gone to the Titans (who expressed an interest in both players) and still lived in Brisbane like they wanted to ...

No, what we are saying is the club got lucky the way those players came to us, they didn't identify them and chase them.
Those same ppl are still in charge of our future recruitment, with a forward pack that needs attention in the next few years I have no confidence in their forward planning.
That remains to be seen of course, but hey we signed Stagg today until the end of 2015 so that's something

No, what we are saying is the club got lucky the way those players came to us, they didn't identify them and chase them.
Those same ppl are still in charge of our future recruitment, with a forward pack that needs attention in the next few years I have no confidence in their forward planning.
That remains to be seen of course, but hey we signed Stagg today until the end of 2015 so that's something

That is pure speculation on your part ... unless you are behind the scenes then you can't know.

Our club never talks publicly about players we have targeted and/or are chasing. For all we know we have previously chased these players or expressed an interest in signing them to their managers.

and it is frustrating as fans to be left in the dark about our players we are chasing ... but thats the way the Broncos like to do their business.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• Bucking Beads
  • Broncosgirl
  • Fozz
  • Dreaglor
  • Xzei
  • MTF75
  • Bongo
  • GCBRONCO
  • theshed
  • broncos4life
  • Browny
  • broncsfan88
  • Old Mate
  • I bleed Maroon
  • Jazza
  • Behind enemy lines
  • Sproj
  • The Strapper
  • The Don
... and 6 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.