Sack Griffin/New Coach Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
But they signed with us and not the titans who had expressed interest in both, so the recruitment department obviously did something right.

Not the point B4L, we are talking about the fact they were on the market due to circumstance not because of some brilliant recruitment coup.
Which IMO makes our recruiting look better than it was and looking forward we still have the same guys in charge.
Time will tell and maybe they will get better at it but until it does I'll remain dubious

Not the point B4L, we are talking about the fact they were on the market due to circumstance not because of some brilliant recruitment coup.
Which IMO makes our recruiting look better than it was and looking forward we still have the same guys in charge.
Time will tell and maybe they will get better at it but until it does I'll remain dubious
In a market such as the NRL, it's the taking advantage of opportunities that matters. Fact is that unless a player is unhappy at his club, or his family is unhappy where they live, it's a slim chance of being able to attract a big fish to your club.

Which club has managed an actual coup like people here seem to thing the Broncos should've done in say, the last ten years? The Broncos with Folau and pretty much nothing else... None of the top stars has moved out of their club, unless the circumstances above were present, or there was an exceptional circumstance, like Inglis being essentially forced out of Melbourne due to the salary cap. And even then, were it not for the gnome, we would have snared him too!

People want to bag Griffin, Gee and company, but have absolutely no clue what happened in the background.
I don't claim to know what happened, but I do know that the Broncos expressed their serious interest in at least 2 of the last 3 superstars that "came on the market", and found out soon enough that they needed to go broke to actually be able to compete with their original clubs. For example, Penrith made a offer which was more than 150% of what the Cowboys offered him, and he still didn't go...

Now for us to have been able to snare both Barba and Milford, even under the favourable circumstances, is a feat that needs to be acknowledged.

But hey, whingeing about Griffin and the Broncos management is the "in" thing apparently...

Barba wasn't recruited, spin it any way you want we got lucky.

Milford isn't here yet, and once again we got lucky.

Lowrie, released on compassionate grounds, read we don't want you.

Vidot was released early because the Dragons lost patience with him.

Mills has talent but was attracting the interest of at least 3 other clubs as early as April last year before landing at Red Hill. He is fragile, and has had plenty of injuries including 2 ACLs.

Kennedy is a good signing if he gets past the ASADA infraction notice supposedly coming his way.

Those signings are hardly the result of some think tank that sat down to work out our problems.
You might like sloppy seconds but I don't. We need halves and at least a 9 who can push Macca to a new level

How's Milford signing lucky? An off contract player who decided not to re-sign with his current club or join another club but come to Brisbane.

That's pretty much A1 recruitment.

How's Milford signing lucky? An off contract player who decided not to re-sign with his current club or join another club but come to Brisbane.

do us all a favour and tell us if there is talk on a new coach etc?

Baiting

Last edited by a moderator:
Nothing to see here

We had no control over his dad being crook and him wanting to come back to Brisbane because of that, not my idea of A1 recruiting.

In a market such as the NRL, it's the taking advantage of opportunities that matters. Fact is that unless a player is unhappy at his club, or his family is unhappy where they live, it's a slim chance of being able to attract a big fish to your club.

Which club has managed an actual coup like people here seem to thing the Broncos should've done in say, the last ten years? The Broncos with Folau and pretty much nothing else... None of the top stars has moved out of their club, unless the circumstances above were present, or there was an exceptional circumstance, like Inglis being essentially forced out of Melbourne due to the salary cap. And even then, were it not for the gnome, we would have snared him too!

People want to bag Griffin, Gee and company, but have absolutely no clue what happened in the background.
I don't claim to know what happened, but I do know that the Broncos expressed their serious interest in at least 2 of the last 3 superstars that "came on the market", and found out soon enough that they needed to go broke to actually be able to compete with their original clubs. For example, Penrith made a offer which was more than 150% of what the Cowboys offered him, and he still didn't go...

Now for us to have been able to snare both Barba and Milford, even under the favourable circumstances, is a feat that needs to be acknowledged.

But hey, whingeing about Griffin and the Broncos management is the "in" thing apparently...

I would say Maloney going to Easts was a bit of a coup, probably throw in money Bill.

Oh and Porthoz I don't call your opinion having your head up your arse and ignoring the Broncos problems, so ease up on the whingeing stuff. I made 1 comment to B4L the rest is just responding conversation.

Oh yeah, one of the best shows on television, never miss an episode.

Whatshowareyoutalkingabout?

Came across this and I just had to use it.

Indeed! Different show.

I was referring to a little kids cartoon my kids used to watch some years back called Maggie and the Ferocious Beast

The Beast would say 'great googly moogly' when he was surprised by something :smile:

We had no control over his dad being crook and him wanting to come back to Brisbane because of that, not my idea of A1 recruiting.

If it were solely about his dad he would be here right now, not doing preseason in Canberra.

I would be interested to know what in your opinion they could do to achieve A1 recruiting

Dex - A coup that was born out of Maloney having a young family that needed to be raised in Sydney.

I would say Maloney going to Easts was a bit of a coup, probably throw in money Bill.

Oh and Porthoz I don't call your opinion having your head up your arse and ignoring the Broncos problems, so ease up on the whingeing stuff. I made 1 comment to B4L the rest is just responding conversation.
Sorry mate, the dig wasn't meant for you. I normally appreciate your input, whether it agrees with my opinion or not. I'm just tired of the constant negative whingeing drum from some people.

Anyway, I don't think Maloney is that much of a coup. He is definitely not a superstar imo, more in the mould of a Widdop or Soward, which I couldn't give a damn about to be honest. But according to your stand point, the rorters were lucky to get him, as he apparently left New Zealand primarily for family reasons as well...

SBW is a different story, and attracting him back to the NRL was certainly a coup, but that is the one position we really don't need to look outside of the club.

You're judging without fact knowledge, while making assumptions without any base, and despite the best recruitment ANY club has done in a very long time, you're denying the club and management any credit. That's bad faith mate, sorry!

Last edited:
The chooks had a need for a 6 and went looking for him, signed him up a year early for which they were criticised in some quarters.
That was good recruiting, they didn't wait until he wanted out of a contract they got in and signed him.

Who says they went looking for him and it wasn't Maloney and his management that went to them?

The chooks had a need for a 6 and went looking for him, signed him up a year early for which they were criticised in some quarters.
That was good recruiting, they didn't wait until he wanted out of a contract they got in and signed him.

Broncos signed Milford a year early then his contract finished. Milford isn't getting out of his contract.

We don't need a five-eight. We have plenty, all fighting for their spot. These kids coud be superstars. Strasser and Nikorima have to debut some time.

As we did with Milford, yet you are denying the broncos the same credit that you feel the chooks should get.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• BruiserMk1
  • BooKhaki
  • matthewransom34@ic
  • Harry Sack
  • Mightybroncs2k17
  • MrMoore
  • Sproj
  • Redfern_1980
  • Aldo
  • I bleed Maroon
  • marw
  • Xzei
  • leish107
  • mrslong
  • Big Del
  • Old Mate
  • Porthoz
  • Brocko
  • Astro
  • Locky’s Left Boot
... and 13 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.