Sack Griffin/New Coach Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Which club has managed an actual coup like people here seem to thing the Broncos should've done in say, the last ten years? The Broncos with Folau and pretty much nothing else... None of the top stars has moved out of their club, unless the circumstances above were present, or there was an exceptional circumstance, like Inglis being essentially forced out of Melbourne due to the salary cap. And even then, were it not for the gnome, we would have snared him too!

Over the past 10 years many clubs have secured "coup" signings when they have needed them. Examples off the top of my head include Ben Kennedy, Tahu to parra, Steve Price to warriors (and Wiki), Scott Prince to GC, Orford to Manly, Crocker, Anasta, Mason, O'Meely, Ash Harrisson, Tate, Petero, Craig Wing, Asotasi, Soward, Mateo, Myles, SBW etc

I'm certainly not saying that the Broncos needed any of these particular moves, and not everyone will even rate all those players, but at the time they were big signings, so given the right circumstances and motivations they do happen.

I have no beef with the last 6 months of recruiting, it has been the best period recruitment wise since Bennett left, and i don't particulalry care how or why players fell into our laps.

My concern is more around the few comments people have made about the likes of Thurston and Cronk that when they were off contract we were no chance etc. That is most definately true but there used to be a time when the Broncos would just have to match the players current salary and we would be the first choice. The post Bennett era has seen us lose that aura.

At the moment we are just another club who do seem to have to throw overs to pull a Smith/Thurston/Cronk so the recent signings, especially Barba and Milford, regardless of personal influences, are still very good signings and for that i give some credit to Gee/Griffin/White. There is no doubt in my mind that other NRL clubs would have been in the ear of both their managers seeing what their options were, it was not the Broncos or nothing.

Broncos signed Milford a year early then his contract finished. Milford isn't getting out of his contract.

Wish I could pick my lotto numbers as well as I picked that response and from who.

Are you saying that the Broncos identified Milford as a must get and chased him/enticed him into coming to Brisbane before they knew of his family circumstance?

That would be an A1 recruitment. What do we need? how do we get him, you know that sort of thing.
Instead of nah we've got Wal and where happy with him then let him go about 6 weeks later.
It's doesn't give me any confidence in what they are doing.

Last edited:
Who says they went looking for him and it wasn't Maloney and his management that went to them?

Until I see a written word that he came looking for them then I'll assume that my example is correct as that is, IMO, normal recruitment practice.

Nothing to do with it suiting my argument. :takdir:

It was reported at the time that Maloney informed the warriors early that he would not be renewing his contract so they could start planning. He then started negotiations to go back to Sydney and the Roosters were the Sydney team to pick him up.

His manager went looking for a Sydney team for him but not sure how the Roosters came to get him from there.

Can nobody else see the difference between going on the open market compared to I want to go home to Brisbane, or I want to be with my kids who are moving to Brisbane?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Broncos approach Milford when he was off contract back in 2012? I remember reading that Broncos tried luring him back to Brisbane, but he eventually re-signed with Canberra.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Broncos approach Milford when he was off contract back in 2012? I remember reading that Broncos tried luring him back to Brisbane, but he eventually re-signed with Canberra.

Exactly.

Milford was toying with the idea of returning to Brisbane after getting homesick in Canberra.
But it is understood one of the incentives to remain with the Raiders was a chance to do pre-season training with the NRL team, despite having another two years left in the under-20s.

Read more: Raiders to throw teenager into deep end

So he was homesick and the reason he stayed in Canberra was because of the chance to do pre season in Canberra. If we wanted him and he was homesick and off contract and we didn't get him because of that, then that is a recruitment **** up of monumental proportions. This after we passed on a scholarship for him.

Cunning fuckers they are at the Broncs, waiting until they got a third go at it just to see if he really wanted to play for us. A1

I am fine with that. He should be a quality first grader when we get him :takdir:

He was still an unproven player at that point, so I don't think the Broncos thought it smart to throw over and beyond what he was getting paid at the Raiders to lure him back home. Furthermore, the Raiders threw out all the stops to keep him there (including a dubious get-out clause), and he more than likely felt it necessary to repay their faith in him as a teenager.

Milford was toying with the idea of returning to Brisbane after getting homesick in Canberra.
But it is understood one of the incentives to remain with the Raiders was a chance to do pre-season training with the NRL team, despite having another two years left in the under-20s.

Read more: Raiders to throw teenager into deep end

So he was homesick and the reason he stayed in Canberra was because of the chance to do pre season in Canberra. If we wanted him and he was homesick and off contract and we didn't get him because of that, then that is a recruitment **** up of monumental proportions. This after we passed on a scholarship for him.

Cunning fuckers they are at the Broncs, waiting until they got a third go at it just to see if he really wanted to play for us. A1

Mate we can't tie the bloke to a chair and make him stay in brisbane. He was homesick but obviously though he could tough it out and being so close to papalli he thought he would give it another guy. What were they supposed to do?

Mate we can't tie the bloke to a chair and make him stay in brisbane. He was homesick but obviously though he could tough it out and being so close to papalli he thought he would give it another guy. What were they supposed to do?

Didn't even know he liked guys :laugh:

I don't know, offer him something above the minimum, let him train in the big boys squad. He didn't stay for much and was homesick so I would have to assume we didn't offer him much because we really didn't want him.

Anyway, we are a bit off topic and getting nowhere so lets see how it all pans out. We don't have long to wait.

Last edited:
Didn't even know he liked guys :laugh:

I don't know, offer him something above the minimum, let him train in the big boys squad. He didn't stay for much and was homesick so I would have to assume we didn't offer him much because we really didn't want him.

Anyway, we are a bit off topic and getting nowhere so lets see how it all pans out. We don't have long to wait.

I see your point, but how much do you offer a guy that for all his potential had at that point produced nothing in the NRL.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing... Say they had pulled off some 'A1 recruiting' by paying him overs back then, the response from 99% of the fan base would be a mixture of "we signed who?" and "why the **** are we paying this much for, who?"

I don't think anybody is going to budge on the issue - one side is glass half full, the other is half empty.

At the end of the day, we signed Barba + Milford, two very exciting players and I think we're all in agreement that we hope they can perform to their potential. I don't think the club is going to rest on their laurels either as it appears they're a good chance of signing the Australian skipper and there has been word of signing the reigning Clive Churchill medalist.

Were mistakes made in the past? Yes.

Does it appear the club has learned from those mistakes? Yes.

Do these signings guarantee Hook's future? Absolutely not, but it is a positive sign.

I'll talk to his dad or uncles at the Redcliffe trial if any of them show up.

Oh yeah Cherry Evans, some of the uncles at least should be at Reddy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• Elcapitano20
  • Xzei
  • leish107
  • I bleed Maroon
  • Jedhead
  • Lazza
  • pennywisealfie
  • Porthoz
  • broncos4life
  • BroncosAlways
  • Mighty Bronx
  • Manofoneway
  • bb_gun
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.