Sack Griffin/New Coach Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree, the Nines tournament the Broncos defended ferociously. They were committed. How that has turned around in a week defies logic? More players on the field, worse defensive effort?

Perhaps there is complacency in the 13 man game that "someone else will do it".

A mindset that I think a lot of these players grew up with in the Broncos ranks, being mentored by superstars. If the shit hits the fan, it's not my fault, I'm here to be developed; Lockyer will pull out the clutch play or make the right attacking decision, Petero will take that hit up inside our own ten; Corey Parker will make that tackle.

Maybe we need a new coach with a new mindset who isn't part of the Bennett/Bellamy/Griffith/Storm/Broncos system and shake things up a bit.

Henry couldn't get the Cows to fire with a pretty good roster, how is he the answer to our problems. He had a pretty basic game plan as well except he had JT and Bowen on the back of it.

I don't know if he is the answer to our problems, this is just what i think will most likely happen.

I agree, the Nines tournament the Broncos defended ferociously. They were committed. How that has turned around in a week defies logic? More players on the field, worse defensive effort?

Perhaps there is complacency in the 13 man game that "someone else will do it".

A mindset that I think a lot of these players grew up with in the Broncos ranks, being mentored by superstars. If the shit hits the fan, it's not my fault, I'm here to be developed; Lockyer will pull out the clutch play or make the right attacking decision, Petero will take that hit up inside our own ten; Corey Parker will make that tackle.

Maybe we need a new coach with a new mindset who isn't part of the Bennett/Bellamy/Griffith/Storm/Broncos system and shake things up a bit.

I'm always a Broncos apologist on this sort of thing, but I honestly believe our defence (or lack of) was down to one or two weak links in the chain. The moment someone loses confidence in the defender beside them, you're always overcompensating and effectively always a man down in the defensive line. Call it the Steve Michaels effect. If that wasn't the case, why was Corey Parker switched to the other side of the field? Clearly there was a deficiency that needed covering up.

One of the indicators I look for in a committed defence is chasing whenever a break is made by the opposition. Last year you would have seen one of our defenders up against 3-4 opposition support runners. During the 9's and against the Warriors, our chase was superb. There were multiple occasions where we were able to chase down breaks, last year they would have been tries for sure. Unfortunately yesterday in the end those breaks more often than not still resulted in tries, but that was again down to being caught short than not making the effort.

Last edited:
I watched that game twice last night... while drinking copious amounts of ouzo to numb the pain.

The conclusion I have come to is we need a new coach, whoever it is (within reason).

Griffin has completely lost the dressing room IMO. If it were me I would be on the phone to neil henry to get him up the M1. Piss off hook and kearney.

Don't get me wrong I'm not suggesting Henry is some kind of supercoach, but those options arent available to us and we need a new coach to come in and basically start with a clean slate. I can't see any amount of crisis meetings fixing this, it's too late.

We need a coach with common sense to come in, put players in their right position, use a bench correctly, get a defensive coach that actually knows what the **** he is doing. Someone to come in and say "I don't care what the **** has happened, im the coach now, if you want to put in, great, if you don't, theres the door".

Sacking a coach 2 weeks before the season starts isn't good, holding onto him at the expense of the entire season is a disaster. Either way this will be a long season, it would be a lot easier to take knowing that we are slowly digging our way out of the shit instead of further into it.

I'm always a Broncos apologist on this sort of thing, but I honestly believe our defence (or lack of) was down to one or two weak links in the chain. The moment someone loses confidence in the defender beside them, you're always overcompensating and effectively always a man down in the defensive line. Call it the Steve Michaels effect. If that wasn't the case, why was Corey Parker switched to the other side of the field? Clearly there was a deficiency that needed covering up.

One of the indicators I look for in a committed defence is chasing whenever a break is made by the opposition. Last year you would have seen one of our defenders up against 3-4 opposition support runners. During the 9's and against the Warriors, our chase was superb. There were multiple occasions where we were able to chase down breaks, last year they would have been tries for sure. Unfortunately yesterday in the end those breaks more often than not still resulted in tries, but that was again down to being caught short than not making the effort.

One of the few things i was impressed with yesterday was Jarrod Wallace chasing down and catching a runaway warrior late in the match.
Unfortunately he gave away too many penalties

I'm also a fan of J Wallace and think he could become very good. Just on penalties, I noticed Sam called out by the refs constantly in the play the ball meaning he couldn't slow it down. It was ticking me off but even more so because no other Bronco was slowing down the ruck making Sam an easy target.

I thought Wallace show good aggression.

Do you have a link?

No
I read it this morning on my ipad edition of the CM which i subscribe to. If you get the paper it will be the second last page where they had the story about Paul White getting a contract extension. On the right some bird has written a few random things and this was one of them.
I don't subscibe at work so most likely wont let me into it

To me it defies logic for Hook to move Parker to prop and Thaiday to lock. We are still stuck with 3 fringe runners and 2 middle third runners. I reckon Hook sits at home thinking who can I move to prop next. It will probably be Jack Reed. Why go out and recruit Kennedy, pay him good coin and still go ahead and try and squeeze Thaiday, Glenn or Gillett into the starting side.

I am not sure who should be our next coach. I was on the Kevvie bandwagon but I am not sure about that anymore. He hasn't got a shot for I reason I would say. If the rumours of a Bennett/ Walters package are coming up it wouldn't be the worst option though. My preference would be for a coach who has had nothing to do with the Broncos. He can come in build his own new culture and cull the deadwood.

No
I read it this morning on my ipad edition of the CM which i subscribe to. If you get the paper it will be the second last page where they had the story about Paul White getting a contract extension. On the right some bird has written a few random things and this was one of them.
I don't subscibe at work so most likely wont let me into it
I have full access to the Couriermail, but I can't find it... Maybe you can link it tonight if you have chance?

He can come in build his own new culture and cull the deadwood.

I think that is a key for any new coach who may be appointed. As fans we have to be ready to say goodbye to players who may be our favourites or players we have high hopes for whether it be Thaiday, McCullough, Hunt, Glenn etc.

To me it defies logic for Hook to move Parker to prop and Thaiday to lock. We are still stuck with 3 fringe runners and 2 middle third runners. I reckon Hook sits at home thinking who can I move to prop next. It will probably be Jack Reed. Why go out and recruit Kennedy, pay him good coin and still go ahead and try and squeeze Thaiday, Glenn or Gillett into the starting side.

I am not sure who should be our next coach. I was on the Kevvie bandwagon but I am not sure about that anymore. He hasn't got a shot for I reason I would say. If the rumours of a Bennett/ Walters package are coming up it wouldn't be the worst option though. My preference would be for a coach who has had nothing to do with the Broncos. He can come in build his own new culture and cull the deadwood.

Brian Smith ????????????????????

I agree with all that so much

Brian Smith ????????????????????

Brian Smith is at least 80% of the reason I hate the Eels. Do you think if Kevin Walters did come to coach us he would have Bennett in his ear a little bit? Did Bennett and Hook ever have a relationship at all? I feel as though we needed someone to do their apprenticeship under Bennett and take over when he left Maybe Walters has learned a lot from him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• bb_gun
  • westy316
  • Ondi
  • MrTickyMcG
  • Gaz
  • Xzei
  • Sproj
  • Dash
  • Waynesaurus
  • YeahNahMate
  • FACTHUNT
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.