Sack Griffin/New Coach Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Round 1 - Bulldogs vrs Broncos; Pre-Match Discussion

So Hook has gone full retard. Bodes well

either that or his on Ecstasy

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't think his on ecstasy, his probably just saying what his brain is telling him to. His still entitled to his opinion.

Definitely entitled to his opinion mate.

I am not a troll, I am just very opinionated.

Re: Round 1 - Bulldogs vrs Broncos; Pre-Match Discussion

So Hook has gone full retard. Bodes well

Griffin should've watched this scene.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's like you just woke up from your dream.

Seriously without Hodges and Oates that's our best side, maybe rearranging a position or two.

I remember a discussion on here a couple of weeks ago about our squad being top 8 worthy on paper, I think the realization that this is nowhere close to the truth will probably start to sink in over the next month or so.

Yeah you are absolutely right and it is our best available team on paper...mostly. But the positions he has botched up epically. Hoffman can't play fullback because he has limited ball playing skills, so we put him at 5/8?? Like seriously what the f...heck??? I don't hate Maranta and actually think he is a decent fullback and a pretty handy five-eighth actually. But he is one of the worst wingers ever, so we play him on the wing. Parker as a prop failed badly as an experiment, so we do it again anyway. For goodness sake even put Gillett at 5/8, he's got more ball skills than Hoffman and that says everything. I feel embarrassed to have stood by Hook so long.

lol, I do agree with you, it's mindboggling but I am so numb these days to the stupidity of what we do I just kinda shrug my shoulders and smile.

They've made me jaded, maaaan.

Oh my. Parker in front row. It's like he didn't learn anything from playing Thaiday there all year last year.

We have the best 13 in the comp, playing front row after just signing a top rated front rower from the chooks, and already having a plethora of options in reserves. We will potentially lose so much from him being played at prop, including his offloads, and him running out wide. Not only that, you can't tell me he'll be playing 80 minutes in front row, so who exactly will be taking goal kicks for the 30-40 minutes he'll be off the field? He'll be doing more ruck defending, and one of our most dangerous runners of the last 2 seasons will be simply rucking it up...

Then we have Maranta, Glenn and Gillet. It seems no matter what these guys do, they won't be replaced. Glenn has been pretty ordinary recently, at best I'd be happy for him to impact off the bench. Gillet, yes I want him in the 17, but not at lock, preferably 2nd row or on the bench also. He actually does quite well for QLD off the bench (imo). And as for Maranta, well I just don't have any words. He simply shouldn't be there.

For what it's worth, this would have been my team for RD1 with Oates, JYY and Hodges being unavailable.

1. Barba
2. Hoffman
3. Reed
4. Copley
5. Vidot
6. Nikorima (unproven yes, but he's got to start somewhere. And rather him play 6 than Hoff)
7. Hunt
8. McGuire
9. Mcullough
10. Kennedy
11. Thaiday
12. Gillet/Lowrie
13. Parker
14. Hannant
15. Glenn
16. Gillet/Lowrie
17. Hala

I hope i'm proven well and truly wrong, I really do. But Hoffman struggled to play fullback as he's better at 'finishing'. So I struggle to see how he's going to play 6 more competently.

:laugh:

Strasser is completely untested and could likely be exposed badly in defence. Molo from all reports is not playing well and is struggling bad for fitness. Granville is mostly untested and is quite enigmatic at best. Gillett is our best Second Rower and he's on the bench for some reason. I'm also slightly worried about having Michael Maguire in our front row.

Gillette is not our best second rower

I did watch them at training yesterday and last week and noticed that there was a big focus on passing between the forwards (Bulldogs style) which gives me a glimmer of hope that we will utilise the forwards as mini play makers rather than rely on Hoffman. Hoffman can be used as a support player to the forwards short passing game.

Even with our rubbish selections, if we don't beat the Dogs, then we are in big trouble especially with the talent that they are missing. Griffin will have no excuses.

I haven't been a defender of Hooks and like nearly everyone else find it hard to understand how we have come to have a squad like this BUT we are yet to play a game and on that basis alone I'm happy to judge on performance.

I think we can be 3 from 5 to start the year and by that stage have Hodges back, have a lot better idea about 5/8 and Kahu won't be far off a return. Let's suck it and see.

How we go in the first 5 matches of the season(particularly the first 3) will go a long way to determining Griffin's fate and that's not necessarily purely on a win basis, sure you can win those 3/5 but if you show the same problems from the past two season's that's hardly evidence we have made progress, whereas if you lose or win with signs of real progress then you might have something to work with. Frankly I'm not expecting us to have much encouragement come round 5.

Griffin on Psaltis' show.

On Hoffman @ Five Eigth - Had been training their strongly in the past two weeks and his running game and combination with Hunt + Barba will give the team a real edge.

On whether Hoffman & Barba will swap through out the game - No Hoffman will play five eigth

On Parker @ 10 - Parker is a middle forward so his role doesn't change that much.

On Gillett @ 13 - The idea is that he & Sam will take turns playing as a middle forward and a right edge forward. Lowrie when he comes on will play a similar role.

On Lowrie as a back-up Hooker - No, but Lowrie is a journey man who brings plenty of positive attributes.

Rest was pretty much all flowery stuff.

all seams reasonable

Status
Not open for further replies.

Unread

Active Now

• Ondi
  • NSW stables
  • Lostboy
  • Battler
  • YeahNahMate
  • Bucking Beads
  • BroncosAlways
  • Behind enemy lines
  • levikaden
  • GCBRONCO
  • Mighty Bronx
  • Howie
  • broncsgoat
  • bb_gun
  • winslow_wong
... and 2 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.