Sack Griffin/New Coach Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Andrew Gee, Paul White, Coach

I see some people are blaming Gee. I'm not happy his name get dragged through the mud

Gee is responsible for player retention and recruitment as much as Hook IMO. He is probably also responsible for the value of the deals and for how long the contract lasts. Gee probably also is involved with the long term contract Hook has. He is not without Blame.

Re: Sack Griffin

The way they bulk is wrong anyway. They are told to eat whatever they want long as they put on the weight. That's what we call a dirty bulk. During this process they will put on more fat than muscle. Professional athletes should always count their calories and macros intake.
I'm sure they then cut though. They're not just told to get fat lol.

it would explain thaiday and hannant though lol

Who failed to secure Inglis? Surely something must have happened for him to just back out (not the rain).

Surely something must have happened for him to just back out (not the rain).

We had Ivan as coach at the time & a few of our players told him that Ivan sucked as a coach.

IMO the coach is making poor team selections. There is enough talent there to do well.

Players are getting played out of position which is frustrating. And some players in the lower grades probably should be getting a shot by now.

With a few small changes this team could do a lot better.

Steve Price

He coached the Dragons Jersey Flegg to a premiership.
He did well in the under 20s as well.
He develop several players in these youth teams who are playing first grade. Players such as Morris, Stanley, King, Merrin etc.
Story sounds familiar?
In the under 20s you don't need game plans as its pretty much touch footy out there.
Both coaches are overrated for what they achieve in the under 20s.
Any Tom, Peniis or Harry could coach a 20s team.
Both are now finding it tough to score points.
Both put too much faith in their juniors.
Kyle Stanley is our Corey Norman.

All of them have to put there hand up. Other clubs have turned from rabble to finals contenders in a matter of years by realising certain players needed to go and targeting a better replacement.

The Titans, no matter how much anyone hates them and Carty, have gone from wooden spooners to a very competietive squad in 2 years.

Since 2006 the Rabbits, Dogs, Titans and Roosters have all finished last while Cronulla have been a mess and didn't have a CEO for a long time and no money. Those clubs have been proactive in the market while we have failed to recruit well and failed to realise when we backed the wrong horse, stubbornly holding on to players who haven't taken that next step.

E.G. Macca plays like someone comfortable in the knowledge he has no threat to his spot.

The club needs to start targeting some key position players but I suspect Hook is keeping the players he wants to carry out his outdated game plan.
He still believes in his no frills style, it's not working, so White needs to make a hard call and remove him, that won't happen either.
White is backing Hook, Hook and Gee are backing the playing group they have put together and Hook is backing his game plan, nobody wants to admit they have gone the wrong way.

http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/...erforming-halves/story-e6freon6-1226605041921

Griffin was blunt when asked if he would tinker with the club's playmaking positions.

"No. I think our composure is pretty good at the moment and we built pressure (against the Roosters)," he said.

Griffin said the club was playing too laterally.

"We need to be more direct in our attack," he said.

"We were trying to go around the Roosters and in a tight game like that when you lose momentum, it can be difficult to come back."

We're playing too laterally because you coach them to stand flat :001_rolleyes:

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport...-the-firing-line/story-e6frep5x-1226605041166

In Brisbane, the pressure on Griffin is already telling.

His post-match press conference on Saturday night lasted just 90 seconds and he chose to talk only about the Roosters and not his misfiring halves, Scott Prince and Peter Wallace.

"It's just one of those games and it was always going to be one of those games - a real slugfest. They got that one try which was the difference,'' Griffin said.

Then the club closed its sheds to the media, a direct breach of NRL guidelines, which will should result in a fine this week.

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport...air-weather-fans/story-e6frep76-1226604528830

THE war for the hearts and minds of that special breed of Brisbane winter sports follower - "the floating fan" - has a razor's edge this season with the Lions showing promise, the Reds holding their hard-won ground and the Broncos' attack moving with as much fluency as freestyler Eric the Eel at the Sydney Olympics.

For the first time since the birth of the Broncos, last year their average home crowds (33,377) were below the Reds (34,217) and though the Lions averaged just 20,352 they look to be a club on the move.

It's not often a Broncos game is such stagnant fare that you think "there's two hours of my life I won't get back" but that's how I felt after the 8-0 loss to the Roosters on Saturday.

It is one thing to lose but it's quite another thing to be boring.

Brisbane fans have been spoilt down the years on creative, instinctive attack stretching right back to their debut season.

If you are going to try to sandpaper opponents to death like they are forced to do at the moment you at least have to win; 8-0 scorelines can be worn like badges of honour when you win. But grinding and losing is like taking a ghastly cough mixture that doesn't work - if you're going to wince and swallow you at least need to know it's going to clear your cough.

Brisbane sporting crowds have a reputation for leaving quickly and returning slowly.

Last edited:

I'm sure they then cut though. They're not just told to get fat lol.

it would explain thaiday and hannant though lol

Let's talk backs. I'll talk about forwards another time.
Our backs are best described as being skinnyfat. Maranta, Copely, Kahu, Reed, Kahu, Hoffman all fall into this category.
They were all pretty skinny to begin with but once they start dirty bulking they eat more calories than they burn and become "skinnyfat".
The players will then try to shred the fat... The problem with that is there is no muscle under all the fat to begin with. To use a quote from Arnie, "You can't chisel a pebble"
Greg Inglis is a perfect example of a skinnyfat a couple years back. Benji Marshall look like he swallowed several loads from Ron Jeremy during the pre-season which has slowed him big time.
It's no surprise our best and most agile back is our leanest.

"Brisbane fans have been spoilt down the years on creative, instinctive attack stretching right back to their debut season."

This.

This club has never bothered to even think about creating, cementing and refining a repetoire of creative attacking structures. The Broncos rode on the backs of the galaxy of stars which made us the great team we once were.

Those stars made Bennett look far better than he really was, and when they left, funnily enough, so did Bennett, and so has the team's ability to consistently show attacking flair and strike power.

This has never been more glaringly obvious with the departure of the 2nd last class act - Lockyer, and proves this point when our last class player - Hodges, is out injured. When Hodges is out, invariably, our point scoring ability falls to bits. Not always, but mostly, and against solid defence, without Hodges, this team is crap when it comes to scoring points.

The game against the chooks exposed this most obvious fact.

YET, as we have seen, last year, Hook decided to take some hints from Hasler's style and it produced some excellent attack. Why it has disappeared is beyond me.

We have possibly the best back row in the competition and we can't use it. Gillett, Glenn and Thaiday (where he belongs) can tear opposition defences apart if given space and time and quality ball. They aren't.

And they, along with just about every other player in the roster are mercilessly blamed and punished for the club's lack of foresight both in recruitment, and the nous to to see what coaches like Bellamy and Hasler have achieved through effective, top level coaching.

As another has posted, Macca and Ben Hunt were very fine halves when playing in their early days, like the Aussie Schoolboys in 2007. So what did the club do to them? Turned them into hookers at which now, they are barely adequate AND it isn't really their fault.

As the Titanic sinks, we just keep re-arrangeing the deck chairs. It obviously looks like the ship has to sink before someone realizes the bleeding obvious.

Last edited:

your assuming that they are doing what Hook tells them to do ... he may be telling them to get deeper but they aren't following his instructions.

I doubt that if the players weren't following Hooks instructions that it would be allowed to go on for so many games.

I'd say they are playing the way Hook wants them too.

All of them have to put there hand up. Other clubs have turned from rabble to finals contenders in a matter of years by realising certain players needed to go and targeting a better replacement.

The Titans, no matter how much anyone hates them and Carty, have gone from wooden spooners to a very competietive squad in 2 years.

Since 2006 the Rabbits, Dogs, Titans and Roosters have all finished last while Cronulla have been a mess and didn't have a CEO for a long time and no money. Those clubs have been proactive in the market while we have failed to recruit well and failed to realise when we backed the wrong horse, stubbornly holding on to players who haven't taken that next step.

E.G. Macca plays like someone comfortable in the knowledge he has no threat to his spot.

The club needs to start targeting some key position players but I suspect Hook is keeping the players he wants to carry out his outdated game plan.
He still believes in his no frills style, it's not working, so White needs to make a hard call and remove him, that won't happen either.
White is backing Hook, Hook and Gee are backing the playing group they have put together and Hook is backing his game plan, nobody wants to admit they have gone the wrong way.

All good points Dexter but a 2-8 start will force White to make the hard call and 2 wins after 10 rounds is very realistic, the talent in this squad is definitely at the lower scale.

All good points Dexter but a 2-8 start will force White to make the hard call and 2 wins after 10 rounds is very realistic, the talent in this squad is definitely at the lower scale.

I think that needs to be narrowed down to the talent in the 1 - 6 -7 and 9: the rest are all good for mine

I doubt that if the players weren't following Hooks instructions that it would be allowed to go on for so many games.

I'd say they are playing the way Hook wants them too.

but surely the coach doesnt tell them to stand flat.
and surely the players, being life long rugby league players, wouldnt "think" they should be standing flat. but they are not actively thinking about getting deepin attack.

i just think so much time has been spent elsewhere and not on attack that its forgotten and the coach needs to start drilling it in to them.

and i cant say how its actually been - it seriously looks like we've spent zero time at all training on our attack or ANY set plays.

we need to score fkn points!

Last edited:

your assuming that they are doing what Hook tells them to do ... he may be telling them to get deeper but they aren't following his instructions.

For a third season in a row? I would've thought he'd do something about it by now!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• Aldo
  • Wolfie
  • Old Mate
  • Fozz
  • johnny plath
  • Emanon
  • Cavalo
  • Swordfish
  • broncsgoat
  • Broncosarethebest
  • theshed
  • Sproj
  • Foordy
  • Financeguy
  • heartly87
  • Dexter
  • Ghost of Vlansys
  • Slippin Jimmy
... and 13 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.