Sack Griffin/New Coach Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Sack Griffin

but surely the coach doesnt tell them to stand flat.
and surely the players, being life long rugby league players, wouldnt "think" they should be standing flat.

i just think so much time has been spent elsewhere and not on attack that its forgotten and the coach needs to start drilling it in to them.

we need to score fkn points!

This is probably what's happening.

Not enough time spent running set attacking plays and too much time on the tackling bags.

For a third season in a row? I would've thought he'd do something about it by now!

That's what i'm saying.

A good coach wouldn't persist with a faulty strategy.

This is probably what's happening.

Not enough time spent running set attacking plays and too much time on the tackling bags.

That's what i'm saying.

A good coach wouldn't persist with a faulty strategy.

Agree completely. I don't think anyone questions the defensive pattern Hook employs works and works well. BUT, the attacking framework just isn't good enough.

Who would you employ (that is currently on the market) instead of Griffin to coach the Broncos?

Agree completely. I don't think anyone questions the defensive pattern Hook employs works and works well. BUT, the attacking framework just isn't good enough.

True - I heard Hook say last year and again this year that "If we get our defence right, the attack will look after itself".
Surely he still doesn't believe this?

yeah thats what worries me, the whole 'oh yeah it'll be fine' attitude is getting a bit old.

Who would you employ (that is currently on the market) instead of Griffin to coach the Broncos?

Yes ....the elephant in the room has been spotted.

I suspect you won't get an answer.

a hypothetical I know but if some of the blokes who ran the club in its early years were still in charge, they'd go out and get whoever the f**k was the best (or near to) coach going around ... they'd just get it done.

Exactly, its fine to work towards limiting the damage your opposition can do on the scoreline, but when the same flaws exist in your attacking game plan from previous seasons and your unwilling to change things up because your either blind or too proud in your thinking to make the necessary changes then really what changes?

Here where I think it went to shit for us.

A lot of our work on attack this year (in the first 2 games) seem to resolve around a quick reshuffle. Wallace to dummy half, Hodges dropping back and Norman into the 5/8 role. They looked sharp when they did this. Wallace gave us more speed around the ruck and Hodges is able to roam more. They were a lot more dynamic which made them harder to read. They had some really nice moments in the first 2 games. Everything fell to shit in round 3 because they had the same stagnant structure for the entire game. Hodges was out and they didn't have anything other than, lets go back to what we did last year. McCullough will come off and Hunt will go on, but otherwise, side to side attack for the whole game. We got extremely predictable.

The problem is, Hodges is fragile and we can't revolve our attack around him being fit.

didnt hodges play about 5 mins at fullback?

someone mentioned this type of quote earlier as a sure sign things are going bad:

"Geez, there's been a lot of talk and a lot of things said, but it's only round three," stressed Thaiday.
"There's no pressure on Hook (Griffin) at all.
"The club, the board and the players back him 100 per cent."

http://www.nrl.com/thaiday-says-no-pressure-on-coach-griffin/tabid/10874/newsid/71351/default.aspx

Annnnd Stephen Kearney's the interim head coach of the Broncos.

Last edited:

Here where I think it went to **** for us.

A lot of our work on attack this year (in the first 2 games) seem to resolve around a quick reshuffle. Wallace to dummy half, Hodges dropping back and Norman into the 5/8 role. They looked sharp when they did this. Wallace gave us more speed around the ruck and Hodges is able to roam more. They were a lot more dynamic which made them harder to read. They had some really nice moments in the first 2 games. Everything fell to **** in round 3 because they had the same stagnant structure for the entire game. Hodges was out and they didn't have anything other than, lets go back to what we did last year. McCullough will come off and Hunt will go on, but otherwise, side to side attack for the whole game. We got extremely predictable.

The problem is, Hodges is fragile and we can't revolve our attack around him being fit.

Yeah man, looks as if Griffin pulled his Ace but it backfired with Hodgo being sent for 10 for professional foul. I wouldn't be suprised to see that happen again this week against the Storm (if Hodgo lines up)

didnt hodges play about 5 mins at fullback?
Not much longer if it was. Point was, in the first 2 games, it looked like some dynamic shuffling was going on to keep the defence guessing. Soon as Hodges was injured they went back to 80 minutes of very basic attack with 2 defensive centres and a fullback scared to run hard at the line...

It wouldn't surprise me if Hunt isn't playing this week and our attacking structure rotates throughout the game. I think that's what they've been working on in the off season

"The club, the board and the players back him 100 per cent."

2db457t.gif

What do you guys think about Kevin Walters as an option for head coach if Griffin gets axed?

What do you guys think about Kevin Walters as an option for head coach if Griffin gets axed?

Maybe for the London Broncos...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• the_next
  • Painin the Haas
  • Dash
  • Hurrijo
  • Robboi_321
  • Cavalo
  • broncoscope
  • Slippin Jimmy
  • Maroon4life
  • Foordy
  • GCBRONCO
  • Dexter
  • heartly87
  • jarro65
  • The True King
  • broncsgoat
  • TwoLeftFeet
  • Skyblues87
... and 4 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.