Sack Griffin/New Coach Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Sack Griffin

Call me simple, or even simplistic (yeah, go for it :) ) I see it this way.

1. The team stands too flat in attack. There is no space/depth for key ball runners (especially Gillett, Glenn, Thaiday, Reed and Hodges) to get the ball at on the run, at speed.

2. There are too few times when the ball carrier has support runners expecting a pass AND picking an angle to run AND knowing they too will have support runners.

3. The above situations give the opposition defence less time to organize in defence and can force poor choices.

4. There is way too much one-out running. There should ALWAYS be someone ready for an offload. Trouble is, too few forwards look to offload.

5. Almost all the team consistently fail to support the ball runner - and there needs to be a pattern of support play where others are ready to run onto the ball and in turn, have support runners ready for an offload or pass.

6. At least 2 players need to be the generals on field to keep this shape and structure from falling apart.

7. There are too few well rehearsed set plays and if there are, the execution is APPALLING, if there at all.

2nd man/phase plays are a glaring example: ours rarely are effective. When Lockyer did it, especially with K. Hunt, it was generally well executed with either good ground made and/or a try scored.

6. THIS IS NOT ROCKET SCIENCE. ALL THE BEST TEAMS DO IT.

7. A good coach will develop these structures by drilling it into the team thru endless repetitions until they get it right. An opposed defence in training is a great idea.

Drilling means getting players to stand in a particular formation, move, even if it's a walk, into position, stopping the session when someone stuffs up and doesn't follow instructions, and do it again ...and again ... until the players get it right.

What is the big problem in this basic, simple coaching of structures AND discipline in a team?

Bellamy and Hasler can do it, keep the structures and support play I mean however they do it, Bellamy in particular. The results speak for themselves

So, either the coach won't or can't be bothered doing it, or the players just do not respond.

Either way, if it doesn't happen soon, we will end up at thebottom of the table and then maybe we will hire a decent coach. I hope Hook proves me wrong.

I didn't even read what you wrote but I bet it has to something to do with standing deeper, players in motion etc

I didn't even read what you wrote but I bet it has to something to do with standing deeper, players in motion etc

Yep. I was in a talkative mood haha. We don't do it. We can't score because of it. There is no reason why we can't do it. Why don't we?

Tallis has got a point actually.

Forwards have been pretty average thus far. Considering that's where the majority of our money is, they're not doing what we need them to.

What do you guys think about Kevin Walters as an option for head coach if Griffin gets axed?

Nope.

Had enough of a job for the old boys.

We need a tough coach that has the balls to drop players if they aren't playing well.

You only need to look at the bench the first couple rounds. There's not much go forward in Stagg and Dodds.

Sack Griffin

We've got a big bopper he just isn't fit yet. Bring on Hala

Tallis has got a point actually.

Forwards have been pretty average thus far. Considering that's where the majority of our money is, they're not doing what we need them to.

They're getting us in the opposition 20 on a regular basis. What more do they need to do?

They're getting us in the opposition 20 on a regular basis. What more do they need to do?
Exactly. It must be frustrating to get all the way upfield only to see attacking raids mount to nothing.

Not on the weekend, that was the referees.

We need players to bend the line and put pressure on the defence. That was BARELY happening and has been barely happening all year.

Last year was a different story but then we've lost Civoniceiva (193cm) and Te'o (188cm)

Last edited:

The forwards should be doing everything. 1 through 7 are just there to make up the numbers.

Our fowards are definitely not pulling their weight. Hannant 89 mtr with 14 hittups. What the frig is that? Thaiday was the only one with decent stats. But even with the poor effort from forwards we were inside the 20 a lot and came up with zero points. Doesn't take a genius to see where the problem lies.

Sack Griffin

Another forward wouldn't hurt but I think our backs and halves are our clear weakness IMO.

I don't think we need to recruit either. Just use Hala, Timu or J. Wallace when ready.

The tallest forward doesn't necessarily make the best forward, however a bit of size and balance goes a long way.

Last edited:

The issue with our forwards is that they're running one out. The defence doesn't have to worry about passing our offloading. That makes stopping them in their tracks easy. What I don't understand is how one week we seem to fix it and go awesomely. The next 5 weeks it's nowhere to be seen.

What do you guys make of the TLL rumour?

He's another former Broncos hack who's been pretty average over the years but for the right price I reckon he'd be pretty handy off the bench.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• Allo
  • Brocko
  • The True King
  • LockyersLeftBoot
  • Sproj
  • ivanhungryjak
  • ezpz
  • mrslong
  • Stix
  • Ghost of Vlansys
  • Aldo
  • theshed
  • BruiserMk1
  • winslow_wong
  • Skyblues87
  • Cavalo
  • Waynesaurus
  • Wolfie
  • Xzei
... and 14 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.