Sack Griffin/New Coach Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Sack Griffin

Meanwhile Souths fly out of the blocks with four straight wins and are putting on tries with plays like the one in the below clip at 1:45
i was in awe when they pulled off that play, it was just awesome. i messaged qlder straight away being like 'wow did you see that play!?' lol. as soon as i saw inglis standing there at first receiver and very flat with the play the ball i knew something was up. thats not how inglis usually plays, and was no doubt to draw defenders to him. one of the best set plays ive ever seen i reckon. it played out like a smith/cronk/slater set play, absolute perfection.

Don't get me wrong I'm not launching into a pro griffin stance here, but it is much easier to make the plays that the rabbitohs are when you have a half like Reynolds and a player like inglis at the back. We simply don't have the cattle and the fact that griffin and co can't or won't remedy that is of far greater concern than anything teo has said
For once, I'm gonna disagree with you.
There is nothing overly complicated with that play bar the kick, and both Wallace and Prince are perfectly capable of doing that.
Like noisetheory said, Reynolds is basically Wallace with a good coach. McGuire has been the best acquisition Souths made, far above any player including Inglis.

We lack that sort of imaginative set plays that set the best coaches apart from the average, and while Griffin has his strenghts, this is definitely not one of them, so it would be good to go out there and get someone to help Griffin with that aspect of the game, much in the same way the NFL has attacking coordinators.
I'm not sure whether Kearney is that person, but I wouldn't mind trying to get someone like Michael Hagan or Kev Walters to assist Hook, although the latter will probably be hard to convince...

There is nothing overly complicated with that play bar the kick, and both Wallace and Prince are perfectly capable of doing that.
Like noisetheory said, Reynolds is basically Wallace with a good coach. McGuire has been the best acquisition Souths made, far above any player including Inglis.

We lack that sort of imaginative set plays that set the best coaches apart from the average, and while Griffin has his strenghts, this is definitely not one of them, so it would be good to go out there and get someone to help Griffin with that aspect of the game, much in the same way the NFL has attacking coordinators.
I'm not sure whether Kearney is that person, but I wouldn't mind trying to get someone like Michael Hagan or Kev Walters to assist Hook, although the latter will probably be hard to convince...
Exactly, there's nothing in that play that we couldn't do if we had the right structures

precisely .... we're not talking about professional athletes vs park football scrubs here ... Outside of the raw athleticism that Inglis and one or two others have, there should be nothing Souths or any other team in the NRL can do as a team that this Brisbane group shouldn't be able to match ... They're all big, fast, powerful, professional athletes ... the only thing separating the two teams is the way they're going about executing on the field.

If he was 'basically' Wallace Maguire would have dumped his arse long ago.
Really?
So what exactly does have over Wallace besides playing in a side with structure?

What skill and talent? His short kicking?

Because we're certainly not talking about his outlandish creativity, passing ability of running game!

I just wonder how responsible Reynolds is for organising the structures at the Rabbits. I don't think Maguire could play the style of football he wants with Sandow at the helm for instance, so perhaps Adam deserves credit there.

Mind you I don't believe he offers much else. He has a fantastic short-kicking game - perhaps one of the best in the game (Sezer is right up there too) but as Porthoz says his passing and running game leaves a lot to be desired. He's a bit like Tim Smith 05 in that sense, except Tim had the odd good long ball in him.

Then again, it's easy to play well when you have one of the best packs in the competition and a weapon like GI to keep the opposition busy.

The way Teo says that he was pissed at Maguire for calling him back on defensive plays or whatever makes me believe that it is true and not sour grapes. Makes me believe Griffin doesn't pay enough attention to individuals to help them and improve their game. It took a change in coach for Teo to realise he wasn't doing things right. If Maguire can see it but Griffin can't I think it says a lot about the way our team is going.

Te'o's defence was definitely ordinary at times, he seemed to like rushing out of the line sometimes... but it was better than Gillett's poor ability to read the attack. I wonder what McGuire would think of him.

I'm gonna echo others here and agree that our problem at the moment is ZERO creativity. Obviously we're short a gun player with 'that' sort of vision' but aside from that, who's fault? Players? Coach? Both?

I don't know what it is but if we even want to make the 8 we need to find some creativity. Like that try in Round 2 (?) going the length of the field in 2 tackles. Last week was good too - I hope they keep that momentum going tonight and it wasn't just a flash in the pan...

I'm gonna echo others here and agree that our problem at the moment is ZERO creativity. Obviously we're short a gun player with 'that' sort of vision' but aside from that, who's fault? Players? Coach? Both?

I don't know what it is but if we even want to make the 8 we need to find some creativity. Like that try in Round 2 (?) going the length of the field in 2 tackles. Last week was good too - I hope they keep that momentum going tonight and it wasn't just a flash in the pan...

Yeah, Hunt looks like by far the most creative of the bunch, and even he is completely unproven and likely will never get a shot.

Adam Reynolds is better than Wallace because of his kicking game. Take that away, and they are both nuffies. Reynolds definitely has a lot of years to improve though.

Today's telegraph has a article on teo where he explains why he left due to the pecking order of the coach but what I found interesting was how now at the bunnies his games has been ripped apart at training because everything he was doing was wrong "I'm forever having people explain to me the right way to get things done and after a while it pissed me off I felt like a first year rookie. I then realised I'm that far behind these people." In no way was he having a go at the Broncos but reading between the lines it explains a bit about the coaching deficiencys at the Broncos

It doesn't explain anything.
Te'o was playing great guns for us and he's playing just as good at the Rabbitohs.

Te'o is just blowing wind up the coaches arse so he's not once again down the pecking order.

Words of wisdom from the great Ben Teo ........:001_rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• Totally Unr3al
  • Waynesaurus
  • Xzei
  • Aldo
  • Robboi_321
  • Rambstien
  • johnny plath
  • Gaz
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Sproj
  • theshed
  • broncos4life
  • heartly87
  • Morepudding
  • Foordy
  • Shane Tronc
  • Lozza
  • Howie
  • Dexter
... and 15 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.