Sack Griffin/New Coach Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Sack Griffin

The prettiest smiles hide the deepest secrets. The prettiest eyes have cried the most tears, and the kindest hearts have felt the most pain.

What thread are we in at the moment? :laugh:

Rolling stones gather no moss, but plenty of weed.

Spwn I am not specifically having a go at you here, but it might be helpful to bring some perspective to this debate about Griffin. Griffin is 2 years & 5 weeks into his coaching career. In both of the seasons to date his side has made the finals. I think we would all agree that the roster he currently has to work with is one of the weaker ones in our history.

Bennett had a much stronger roster and it still took him 5 years to win a title. Bennett also took some time to take his team to the finals. Added to that is the fact that Hook is playing with a roster he inherited & without a couple of genuine superstars, a benefit the two preceding coaches had. Taking all of that into consideration, I think he is doing a great job & developing nicely as a coach. The players seem to like him and there is a good feel about the team. I agree we faded out last year, but I think we had a lot of players playing busted. Why don't we all just sit back & enjoy the ride & see where it takes us?
I understand that mate and FWIW I like Griffin and I think he's a good fit for us. The playing group has never at any point given up on a game under him or conceded an embarassing loss, to me that speaks volumes of the respect he has around the player but I think tactically he isn't up there with the best but he's definitely showing signs of improvement and that's all I can ask for.

Summarising last year, I still think it was a poor year, well to be fair I'll give him a 5/10 for last year, a pass but only just.
This year so far he's on a 8/10 as he's made pretty much every decision right and has made the right moves in putting players in their best positions.

If he keeps on improving I'll be very happy because he's got half of the job down which is making sure the playing group respect him and always having a solid defence, now that he's worked on the attack we're a much more balanced team and looking the best we have in a long while.

This thread has as much merit as the "sack Prince" one, and is fruit of knee-jerking reaction and people throwing their toys out of the cot.

So what did you make of round 20 last year to round 3 this year.

Spwn I am not specifically having a go at you here, but it might be helpful to bring some perspective to this debate about Griffin. Griffin is 2 years & 5 weeks into his coaching career. In both of the seasons to date his side has made the finals. I think we would all agree that the roster he currently has to work with is one of the weaker ones in our history.

Bennett had a much stronger roster and it still took him 5 years to win a title. Bennett also took some time to take his team to the finals. Added to that is the fact that Hook is playing with a roster he inherited & without a couple of genuine superstars, a benefit the two preceding coaches had. Taking all of that into consideration, I think he is doing a great job & developing nicely as a coach. The players seem to like him and there is a good feel about the team. I agree we faded out last year, but I think we had a lot of players playing busted. Why don't we all just sit back & enjoy the ride & see where it takes us?

I like your post other than it could be argued that Griffin "appears" reluctant to build on the quality of his roster.

So what did you make of round 20 last year to round 3 this year.
I put down my thoughts after pretty much every game here, so I'll let those speak for themselves...

The only time I got really angry was with that capitulation against Manly in round 1 this season, and I can't blame Hook for that.
I'm not saying Griffin is perfect or that there aren't areas he couldn't or shouldn't improve, but I'm a far cry from asking for his head or anyone else's for that matter!

Fair enough, I just hope we never see a slump that bad again and if it starts to rear its head again we're pro-active in knocking it on the head.

An interesting article in the Sunday Mail about Anthony Griffin and the club.

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport...ends-for-broncos/story-e6frep76-1226650502103

BRISBANE coach Anthony Griffin admits Scott Prince's arrival may have influenced Corey Norman's defection to Parramatta. But he is backing the veteran pivot to steer the Broncos through the gruelling Origin period.Griffin has also opened up about the pressures of rebuilding Queensland's flagship club, rumours of a Wayne Bennett return and criticism of the club's recruitment methodology.
The Broncos enter the Origin period at 5-6, following their 24-14 loss to Canterbury on Friday night. And with the club set to lose key quartet Sam Thaiday, Corey Parker, Matt Gillett and Justin Hodges to Queensland duty, Prince shapes as a key plank during the six-week Origin grind

An interesting article in the Sunday Mail about Anthony Griffin and the club.

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport...ends-for-broncos/story-e6frep76-1226650502103

We should be thanking the arrival of prince as it allowed us to find out pretty quickly how piss weak and childish Norman truly is. I mean an old bastard (who still majors to play far better than you) comes to the club for one or two years tops, the coach pushes someone out of fullback to accommodate you (cos fullback is such a lowly position right) and you crack the sads and leave cos your too pathetic to try and improve your game? What a fucking wuss.

Hunt - prince is here, ill have to work hard and take my chances when I get them

Hoffman - pushed to the wing for Norman? Ill try hard and do the best job I can for the team in any position and try my best to earn back the fb spot.

Norman - prince is here? **** I'm out. Ricky!!!!!!

Probably the only positive of the signing of Prince. It has shown the type of guy Norman is. Regardless if you rate Norman or not the signing of Prince has put the Broncos back several years in the hunt for a star playmaker.

Probably the only positive of the signing of Prince. It has shown the type of guy Norman is. Regardless if you rate Norman or not the signing of Prince has put the Broncos back several years in the hunt for a star playmaker.

How has it put them back? It's got rid of Norman (placing us one step closer to finding a star half) and his cost virtually nothing and has one foot in retirement, so how has it put us back?

I'm sorry beads I'm really trying to follow your logic but I don't get it? Can you explain?

How has it put them back? It's got rid of Norman (placing us one step closer to finding a star half) and his cost virtually nothing and has one foot in retirement, so how has it put us back?

I'm sorry beads I'm really trying to follow your logic but I don't get it? Can you explain?

Who replaces Prince?? For all Normans faults he still has the potential to be a quality player. Prince is 33 and will be gone very soon. It was who comes after Lockyer but now it is who replaces Prince. I thought it was quite simple and obvious as to how it has set the club back but it obviously wasn't simple enough.

Well, it's helped things along IF there was someone to buy, but there's not. We really are relying on someone breaking a contract to get a "star" player.

Prince was never going to win us a premiership. Would have been better off playing Hunt or Norman in the halves this year to help for the future.

Prince was never going to win us a premiership. Would have been better off playing Hunt or Norman in the halves this year to help for the future.

According to Griffin the aim of buying Prince wasn't to win a premiership, but to help "Mentor" Hunt/Norman, that went well.

According to Griffin the aim of buying Prince wasn't to win a premiership, but to help "Mentor" Hunt/Norman, that went well.

To mentor them he would have had to play with them not just train with them. Lets not forget They have both trained with Lockyer for years. It is an all round debacle. I was hopeful that Prince at his best could be good for us but I am afraid his best is long gone.

So you think it would have been better for us to have Norman stay where he was, doing dumb **** selfish plays and refusing to put his body on the line and play for the team?

Prince getting rid of Norman means that we start looking now rather than waiting another few years with their heads in the sand about normal. If he didn't leave now when a playmaker is available we would just hear the standard shit "we have corey fucking Norman (aka the second coming) we don't need to look anywhere else"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• marw
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.