Sack Griffin/New Coach Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Sack Griffin

broncospwn said:
I don't know about that, we changed our plan against Melbourne/Dogs and it was working really well for a short while and then they went right back to the 1 out rubbish playing.

We tried it against Manly as well but they just blew us off the park. Got away with a forward pass and then they put a hurting on us. We should have rallied in the second half, but the boys had nothing left in the tank and Norman from memory had a shocker at the back.

I'm not saying Hook was infallible but I do think we were trying to play this style last year and left it too little too late.

I also think we have been playing the same brand of footy since Round 1. The difference is that we're playing more direct and gaining some good momentum through the middle and our backs are working together now.

Our wins have been pretty impressive, but lets not get ahead of ourselves. The cowboys have been bad this season. Like, bad bad. The titans lost their main playmaker just before kickoff.

Same old same old. When we lose we lose, when we win the other team was s***

Well regardless of what happened last year I'm just happy that hook saw that our attack was ineffective and did something to change it. It's a good sign when a coach adapts the gameplan when it's not working instead of just sticking to what he knows.

I hope we can play like this for the whole year, even if we don't win the title we'll probably win most our games and even get a top 4 spot.

That's bullshit.
The chooks game was the only one where our attack was crappy. Every other game we showed plenty of good attacking form, even despite the Manly second half capitulation, but only started building consistency in the last few games.

We have been nothing like last season, but needed a bit of time to build on the changes brought about by the coach, and accommodating a modified spine.

Do people really think that from round 3 to 4, Hook just decided to change everything and that flowing attacking game wasn't practised and tried well before we saw the fruits of it?

Maybe he coulda/shoulda've done something earlier last season, but his tenure at the club since 2011 is overwhelmingly positive, and now that we have a functioning attack and are showing continuous improvement, maybe we should lay off his back and let's see what the future (especially Origin time and after) brings us!

This thread has as much merit as the "sack Prince" one, and is fruit of knee-jerking reaction and people throwing their toys out of the cot.

P.S. Pretty sure this will earn me another dislike by Beads... :laugh:

I was one of the posters who liked the idea of signing Prince last year. I reasoned it would be his experience that would be his greatest asset to offer but it got me thinking about the difference the team has shown since last year. Maybe Prince has been instrumental in changing the shape and structure at training because we look a far better team this year and not much is different. I'm not sure Griffin has changed anything other than changes forced on him by circumstances. This is written with the acknowledgement about Princes ordinary form on the field.

I'm trying to think of the last time AP said something positive about the Broncos and I'm coming up blank.

Hook still needs to use his bench better but if we keep playing the way we've been playing footy lately then I'd rather see him keep his job.

I was one of the posters who liked the idea of signing Prince last year. I reasoned it would be his experience that would be his greatest asset to offer but it got me thinking about the difference the team has shown since last year. Maybe Prince has been instrumental in changing the shape and structure at training because we look a far better team this year and not much is different. I'm not sure Griffin has changed anything other than changes forced on him by circumstances. This is written with the acknowledgement about Princes ordinary form on the field.
Prince is a factor without a doubt, but I think Norman to fullback has had a much bigger impact in the team's attacking form!

Same old same old. When we lose we lose, when we win the other team was s***
read what i said.

OUR WINS WERE IMPRESSIVE. the cowboys have been bad this season - thats fact. theyd lost 3 of their last 4. i didnt say they played poorly last night, in fact i said the opposite. it shouldve been 30+ to 10, but the cowboys played well. the titans did lose their chief playmaker before kickoff - again, fact. i didnt say they played poorly, i said we shouldnt get ahead of ourselves. if we beat melbourne when they dont have cronk/slater/smith you dont say we're going to win the premiership - you dont get ahead of yourself because even though you played very well, you played an understrength/out of form team.

I'm trying to think of the last time AP said something positive about the Broncos and I'm coming up blank.
i really get to some of you guys lol.

you must have a bad memory though, since its been maybe 3 hours? 4 max?

The fact that the Broncos must mean the opposition was crap or we had a lot of decisions go our way.

Still doesn't excuse the **** Griffin was putting on the field for almost 1 year. Seriously, before 3 weeks ago we were playing like **** since the last origin series, almost a full 12 months.

We've been a completely changed team in these last few weeks and it has to stay that way. I'm very glad we have changed our because I'm finally enjoying watching us play again, it's been way too long.
Spwn I am not specifically having a go at you here, but it might be helpful to bring some perspective to this debate about Griffin. Griffin is 2 years & 5 weeks into his coaching career. In both of the seasons to date his side has made the finals. I think we would all agree that the roster he currently has to work with is one of the weaker ones in our history.

Bennett had a much stronger roster and it still took him 5 years to win a title. Bennett also took some time to take his team to the finals. Added to that is the fact that Hook is playing with a roster he inherited & without a couple of genuine superstars, a benefit the two preceding coaches had. Taking all of that into consideration, I think he is doing a great job & developing nicely as a coach. The players seem to like him and there is a good feel about the team. I agree we faded out last year, but I think we had a lot of players playing busted. Why don't we all just sit back & enjoy the ride & see where it takes us?

Still not sold on Griffin. Norman showed signs of promise at fullback last year and it took him a full year to realise Norman was a superior option to Hoffman. The continued use of backrowers in the centres despite the ordinary performances there was also baffling. Essentially Hook seems to me to be a slow learner who hasn't really done anything remarkable.

By the same token he hasn't gone horribly, but I'm yet to see something from him that makes me want him as our coach for the next 10 years. Plus I'll be honest, he loses a lot of goodwill from me for letting Gagai go. I still think that's a shocking decision.

Ari Gold said:
Still not sold on Griffin. Norman showed signs of promise at fullback last year and it took him a full year to realise Norman was a superior option to Hoffman. The continued use of backrowers in the centres despite the ordinary performances there was also baffling. Essentially Hook seems to me to be a slow learner who hasn't really done anything remarkable.

Norman showed positive signs in two games back there late in the season while Hoffman had 2 years of very good form to justify his place.

Hook had little choice but to play backrows in the backs.

Every excuse is a choice to fail

Easier to ignore the facts when your mind is closed.

Sack Griffin

Norman showed positive signs in two games back there late in the season while Hoffman had 2 years of very good form to justify his place.

Hook had little choice but to play backrows in the backs.

Hoffman had two years of form with Lockyer supplying him the ball. Post Lockyer it was a totally different situation.

That had something to do with the new number six but it's beside the point and it's been touched on before.

Point is, you couldn't blame Hook persisting with Hoffman for as long as he did and he was willing to rectify the situation and has done so, well, at least for now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• marw
  • Dreaglor
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.