Sack Griffin/New Coach Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Agree with Griffin. No point sacking the halves. We don't have anyone better.

That's why Griffin should be sacked. I know he only took over in 2011 which was Locky's last season, but there was no succession plan. Sorry, I'm wrong, there was a succession plan...but it was Corey Norman. And that was always a joke. The second Locky announced his retirement the club should've been shopping for a new quality half....and realistically Wallace should've been long gone.

Yeah yeah, easy in hindsight you say, but I've never thought Wallace was much good and certainly not someone you can build a premiership around.

He was an adequate stop gap while the likes of Norman and Hunt developed, and the plan should've been for 2012 to have a new star playmaker replace Locky, and have Hunt or Norman alongside as the rookie to develop. Hell, realistically we should've had a rookie alongside Lockyer in 2010-11, but the philosophy was to take the pressure off Lockyer by having an experienced, albeit very average partner.
K.Hunt was always viewed as an eventual successor to locky in the halves.

I dunno about Walters, he might be an ex Bronco, but he's just another Bellamy understudy. We've already been trying the Bellamy plan, as have the Eels before us, it doesn't work without a few genuine star players in your spine.

I'd personally prefer Kimmorley if he'd be willing, the clubs he's been involved with are entertaining and effective.

the Bellamy plan doesn't work without Bellamy. Just like the guard dog plan doesn't work with a poodle, it works with an Alsation.

The telling thing for me from the Tallis article is the emphasis on attracting talent. I think we all pretty much agree that it needs to happen but maybe Griffin has done all he can to make it happen.

If so Griffin is done, put a fork in him.

Take DCE for example, ticks all the boxes, right age, queenslander, play maker, great image for sponsors. At 24 he would be on decent coin no doubt, around 500k which is excellent money for an Aus sportsman. He plays for a consistent finals team with quality, if not dickheady, players like Stewarts, Matai, Watmough, Foran etc and has broken into rep teams.
What incentive is there for him to play under Griffin? I cant think of anything.

All we can offer is maybe more money but when a young guy is already earning massive dollars with 8 or so years left in first grade, an extra 200k isnt the incentive to move that it seems like on paper.

The other thing i think back to is the Teo article earlier in the year when he mentioned something along the lines that training at Souths was different, he had to learn things etc. That was the first time i had ever read an ex player talk up another NRL team compared to the Broncos.

K.Hunt was always viewed as an eventual successor to locky in the halves.

At the expense of Brett Seymour, Berrick Barnes and a few others that slip my mind.

And the loss of Karmichael Hunt had more to do with the Broncos and the NRL generally not being able to compete financially and Bruno Cullen's arrogance (that also lost us Civoneceva) than anything else.

Last edited:
For the record this discussion begins and ends with the unanswered question: Who, currently on the market, is a better coach for the Broncos?

There's only a handful of premium NRL coaches: Bellamy, Bennett and Hasler.

There's a few good up and comers like Cleary, Griffin, Trent Robinson

There's the old stalwarts: Henry, Sheens, Stuart

Then there's the Bellamy/Bennett apprentices: Walters, Kearney, Price

They're all locked up or worse than Griffin

For the record this discussion begins and ends with the unanswered question: Who, currently on the market, is a better coach for the Broncos?

Michael McGuire

Michael McGuire

As coach of the Broncos?

Is an apt comparison of McGuire's talent to Griffin, the ability of McGuire to turn Sutton into a genuine threat versus Griffin turning Norman into an Eel?

As coach of the Broncos?

Is an apt comparison of McGuire's talent to Griffin, the ability of McGuire to turn Sutton into a genuine threat versus Griffin turning Norman into an Eel?
You asked who in the current market is a better coach for the Broncos... That was my answer.

Michael McGuire

Yep, from the interviews I've seen he seems like a really decent bloke actually, his coaching style seems to be more about making sure the players understand what there job is and that they enjoy playing.

The big difference I can see in the Rabbits for me is that they look like they are enjoying what they do.

I honestly don't think we are ever a chance to pry him away from the rabbits tho.

Last edited:
In my circles I'm hearing the high profile name being mentioned might be T Sheens?

in tim sheens defense, the tigers have done no better since he left.

but no, not tim sheens. please.

We think long term, get Maquire signed now for 2015. If not try for Bellamy again when he is off contract, then go down the line until no option is better than Griffin.

Just because a coach isnt available for 2014 doesnt mean we shouldnt be signing one in 2013.

I think we definitely need to look outside for the next coach, someone that hasn't been ingrained with the current Broncos systems.

steve kearney coached the eels to the wooden spoon so we sign him as defensive coach. now our defense is terrible.

??

True but promoting Kearney to the top job should Griffin be shown the door would not change much.

steve kearney coached the eels to the wooden spoon so we sign him as defensive coach. now our defense is terrible.

??

Do we have a defensive coach? We have 2 assistants, 2 "performances" coaches (I have no idea either) and 1 strength coach. I remember we used to have a real defensive coach in the Henjak years, but he wasn't very good obviously. We desperately need someone who understands the modern game and how defence should work together though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• Mighty Bronx
  • ivanhungryjak
  • GCBRONCO
  • Cavalo
  • ChewThePhatt
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.