Sack Griffin/New Coach Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
It wasn't a dig Ning ffs.
I didn't mean that you only looked at the result without looking at the game to make up your opinion.
I meant that a lot of people let the final result influence their perspective of what happened on the field.

Most of the times, a try more or less is generally a good reflection of the game, but not this time.

You're entitled to be disillusioned with this season. I don't think a single Broncos fan isn't, but the emotions toil our vision. Just look at what I said after the game!
Yet, despite the scoreline, I felt like I had to watch it again, because between seeing red about what Maranta and Norman dished out, I remembered seeing some really good stuff too, both in defense and attack, which is why I went and watched the game again. That is where I'm coming from.

Am I saying it's a glitch, or that we shouldn't be performing better over the season. Fucking oath we should!
But at the same time, we have actually been much better in the last 3 games, and because we didn't get the deserved reward, very little people seem to have noticed...

I'm not worried about the future at all by the way. This club is way to big to stay down!

Someone should put up a poll on whether we sack Hook or not. If we do, KRudd's election results won't be the worse looking vote of 2013.
Problem is... Who do we replace him with?

And [MENTION=2021]broncospwn[/MENTION], no to Dugan, just NO. He may have talent, but he is too stupid not to get in trouble again.

i thought dugan extended his contract at dragons for good coin?

Somebody who represents what we should be about. Hook genuinely seems like a nice bloke, but his footballing philosophy for me does not at all reflect what makes the Broncos great. Percentages, completions, effort. Like foreplay, they are kinda necessary, but should merely be done in service of the more fun stuff. Unfortunately for Hook these things seem to be the only thing.

Again, as for who, I don't have an exact name for you. A lot of people would like Michael McGuire, but I'm not convinced he's really available. What I do know is that 3 years ago nobody would have wanted McGuire, but he would have been the right man. Souths obviously saw something in him that gave them confidence he was their man. Somewhere in the Super League or other areas of League in Australia or New Zealand I'm sure there's somebody out there who has the philosophy we are looking for, they just don't have the profile to be demanded like a Hasler or a Bellamy. That person may be Ackland, Wane, McDermott or whoever. Whoever they are, their profile isn't big enough to be demanded by us as fans, but what I do know is that we would be better served looking for them rather than deluding ourselves into thinking life with Hook is going to end well.

And @broncospwn, no to Dugan, just NO. He may have talent, but he is too stupid not to get in trouble again.
Fair enough but personally I'd still take a punt on him, his talent alone is worth it and once again I don't think he's done anything unforgivable. He's the best off contract player on the market and we don't have any standout options for fullback next year. I'd be much more hopeful of being competitive next year with Dugan in the team and as long as Griffin keeps on top of him for discipline he'll be a great add.

If that can't happen we should go after Locke because we sure as shit need someone to play fullback next year and I'd hate for Hoffman to be moved off the wing.

Oh damn, damn you Gordie for doing your job! How dare you!

I couldn't give a shit about any of that whoopla. Gordie is a fucking legend who clearly loves the club deeply, and as a supporter, I can strongly relate to his frustrations about where the club is seemingly headed.
I love and admire the bloke, and have absolutely no doubt about his passion, to which I can relate too. Doesn't mean I take what he says as gospel...
A couple of weeks ago, we needed a forward. Last week, we needed new halves. This week, we need a new coach. Next week it will be something else.

He is a legend of the game and of the Broncos, where he did most of his talking on the field.
Outside of it however, he wears his heart on his sleeve, won't back down from what he sees as unfair, but he's not exactly the best footy analyst around.

A couple of weeks ago, we needed a forward. Last week, we needed new halves. This week, we need a new coach. Next week it will be something else.
Sounds like exactly what we need, a top notch forward (Tasi might be able to fill that role), new halves definitely, Prince needs to go ASAP and possibly Wallace too if there's actually two decent halves to choose from and a new coach isn't the worst idea either. Hopefully next week he says we need a new hooker.

You know what, I cant in good conscience back the Broncos if they're backing Griffin.

"If you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always got" - the man who helped make this club what it once was.

Sorry Ari, as much as I like your vision of what footy should be, it can't be the priority. The fancy stuff is great to watch, but it doesn't provide results. Look at the Warriors, they are as exciting as they are frustrating to watch.
On the other hand, look at the most successful club in the last decade... Boring, controlling, grinding footy. They only have a premiership to show for it because they're fucking cheats and grubs, but they are the benchmark.

Sure, ideally we would want to find a compromise between both, which souffs seems to have at the moment, but for that, you need a Greg Inglis and a coach like Maguire. Not sure those are so easy to find...

Last edited:
A coach like McGuire won't be easy to find. But he did it himself - he wasn't a big name when he was hired but Souths found their man.

What I do know though is that we won't find him unless we look for him. I know there are no big names out there, but turning a small name into a big name is our only real option and I can't agree that an absence of a big name being available is a reason to keep Hook.

A coach like McGuire won't be easy to find. But he did it himself - he wasn't a big name when he was hired but Souths found their man.

What I do know though is that we won't find him unless we look for him. I know there are no big names out there, but turning a small name into a big name is our only real option and I can't agree that an absence of a big name being available is a reason to keep Hook.
Maybe they are looking for him, we don't know they aren't.
After being burned twice with Henjak and Griffin, I can certainly understand some moderation in playing dancing chairs with the head coach...

I really hate the thought of the Broncos changing coaches every few years. Hook needs to do something though.

Hook is safe for next year apparently.No Cookies | The Courier-Mail

In many respects this makes sense for the Broncos management standpoint, they don't want to come off as a club which makes rash decisions and culls people willy nilly, things like that damages the clubs culture and doesn't help to get people to come.

If they did give griffin the flick they would still need somebody for next year to fill gap until they went hard to attract somebody like Maguire to the job who would not be available until 2015, I don't really see an alternative at this point.

You never know it may just take the pressure off the coach and players.

The fact that Cam Smith has come out publicly and supported Hook, does this actually give us a chance to sign him if Hook is still our coach?

Broncos and the Storm are super friendly, Smith is backing Hook until Bellamy has finished grooming Walters for us.

Read the article this morning on Griffin, i take it at face value and not a full confidence of the board thing before being sacked.

I guess it isn't surprising as lack of options and running out of time means it is very hard to get someone new for next year but i saw a glimmer of hope that the article kept referencing next year only and didnt say he would definately see out his contract which is to the end of 2015 from memory. Maybe there are plans in place for a change in 2015.

At this point in time its hard to see next year being much different to this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• Reds2011
  • Waynesaurus
  • Gaz
  • Broncosarethebest
  • Fozz
  • NSW stables
  • broncsgoat
  • theshed
  • Broncosgirl
  • Browny
  • winslow_wong
  • Robboi_321
  • Strop
  • Kev_Guz
  • Bucking Beads
  • bb_gun
  • Xzei
  • heartly87
  • Wolfie
  • bert_lifts
... and 14 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.