Sack Griffin/New Coach Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
I find it pretty strange that Cameron Smith has come out and spoke about Anthony Griffin and his coaching TBH.

I find it pretty strange that Cameron Smith has come out and spoke about Anthony Griffin and his coaching TBH.

As i said it sounded like he was pretty close with him and maybe we would be a better chance of getting Smith than most of us think.
You will have to buy the CM to read it unless you can find it on the net. I could not see it when i just had a look.

I will see if i can copy the article tonight when i get home. May not be until about 10pm though

Last edited:
i still get a laugh out of the BHQ theory of the storm being boring to watch.

if you actually watch their games theyre one of the most entertaining teams IMO. the slater/smith/cronk interplay is exciting, and each player is exciting to watch individually. waqa is going great guns, chambers is an absolute gun with ball in hand, widdop was going great, hoffman and cronk have a deadly combination....

they also have scored the 3rd most tries this year, and have the 5th most linebreaks. but i guess if you hate them youll find them boring, obviously.
Take it easy AP, I'm not bagging your precious club... :laugh:
I don't disagree with you at all. I like to watch a disciplined team like the Storm go about their business.

They don't play an expansive, ad-hoc brand of footy, for which the Warriors and Tigers are most known, that a lot of people call entertaining. That is what I'm referring to.

:001_rolleyes: I wonder why you so furiously stand behind Wallace yet call SJ a show pony. SJ actually does good things, Wallace is dead-boring-average. That's all he'll ever be.
SJ is a show pony! In form, he can do freakish stuff, if not he can bury his own team and had done that more than often! Why do you think he has been dropped by the Warriors several times?
Of course he has infinitely more talent than Wallace, there's no discussion about that.

These type of players also have a tendency to be the most inconsistent and are often not very good at the team stuff.
Norman, Sandow, SJ and Marshall, are great exponents of this, although the Kiwis are a level above obviously.

Wallace is the complete opposite. He is technically limited, and not very fast, but he is dependable, tough, not afraid to get his hands dirty, and he won't let his team down.

Now a Thurston or Lockyer is a combination of both. Talent, a smart footy brain and a work ethic to do the 1%'ers, without the circus tricks that look great when they come off, but can be very costly when they don't!

Going back to SJ, I'd love to have him at the Broncos, not instead, but rather alongside a player of Wallace's ilk, that will do the "boring" stuff, and allow SJ to do his stuff.
Honestly though, I'd be yelling at him if he started to pull those unwarranted circus tricks and costing us, in the same way I yell at Wallace when he has a brain fart.

Am not sure whether you are asking me why i mentioned Cam Smith or whether you are asking why he was brought into the Griffin story. If it is the latter you would have to ask Smith as there is a Courier Mail article this morning attributed just to him and his support for Hook being the man to resurrect the Broncos.
Don't know why he got involved but it sounded like he is pretty close to Hook.
Cannot find a link for you on the internet but the story was in the Courier Mail i downloaded to my Ipad this morning.
Pretty sure that was Lockyer, not Smith.

pretty sure hook spent some time in melbourne as an assistant didn't he?

Anthony Griffin was the person who scouted Cameron Smith as a kid to Melbourne..

Look, the thing you must realise with Hook is that he can be mightily stubborn. If you try TO get him to do something, he has a tendency to dig his heels in. If you try to get him to change his opinion, he again will dig his heels in. AND, if Paul White, or Gee Gee, or Gordon Tallis or anybody else try to tell Hook he must leave the head coaching position here, again, he WILL dig his heels in.

He can be very determined, i.e. stubborn at the best of times, BUT, particular when he has his back against the wall! He won't go easily this is certain.

Sounds like Anthony Griffin could turn out to be the key factor in luring Cam Smith to Brisbane from Melbourne.

3 cheers for Hook!

Hip hip........

Sounds like Anthony Griffin could turn out to be the key factor in luring Cam Smith to Brisbane from Melbourne.

3 cheers for Hook!

Hip hip........

Well if thats the case he can stay till Smith is at the club, then sack him.

Pretty sure that was Lockyer, not Smith.

No mate smith said it too. In the paper itself below the article that locky spoke in is a quarter page article that has several quotes from smith about how griffin is the right coach to pull the broncos out and how he has a lot of respect for him from the times he worked with him at the storm

Look, the thing you must realise with Hook is that he can be mightily stubborn. If you try TO get him to do something, he has a tendency to dig his heels in. If you try to get him to change his opinion, he again will dig his heels in. AND, if Paul White, or Gee Gee, or Gordon Tallis or anybody else try to tell Hook he must leave the head coaching position here, again, he WILL dig his heels in.

He can be very determined, i.e. stubborn at the best of times, BUT, particular when he has his back against the wall! He won't go easily this is certain.

EDIT: Personal attack

Last edited by a moderator:
No mate smith said it too. In the paper itself below the article that locky spoke in is a quarter page article that has several quotes from smith about how griffin is the right coach to pull the broncos out and how he has a lot of respect for him from the times he worked with him at the storm

right. I was wondering what involvement Smith had with Griffin to come out in support of him. If Lockyer and Smith both think Griffin is the right man for the job I value both their opinions highly.

EDIT: Personal attack

Last edited by a moderator:
Wallace is the complete opposite. He is technically limited, and not very fast, but he is dependable, tough, not afraid to get his hands dirty, and he won't let his team down.
when your halfback is as creative as a hipster taking a picture of a lawnchair or his coffee, hes letting the team down.

when your halfback is as creative as a hipster taking a picture of a lawnchair or his coffee, hes letting the team down.
I'm not playing that game where you selectively pick a sentence out of context to your advantage. You know pretty well what was meant with that...

Of course he's gonna back Griffin since it means more 32-0 scorelines in the future.

Smith is always thinking ahead for his team.

Last edited:
Great to have the very clever FiH posting again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• Shane Tronc
  • Broncosgirl
  • Ghost of Vlansys
  • Culhwch
  • theshed
  • Gaz
  • Fozz
  • Howie
  • Wolfie
  • johnny plath
  • Aldo
  • Old Mate
  • Cavalo
  • Swordfish
  • broncsgoat
  • Broncosarethebest
  • Sproj
  • Foordy
  • Financeguy
... and 14 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.