Sack Griffin/New Coach Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
i thought dugan extended his contract at dragons for good coin?

No, he was on the verge of it then him and he's dumb **** boyfriend fergo went and got pissed and nothing has been heard about it since

If Lockyer says he is the right man for the job then Im prepared for him to go around another season and see what happens. Hopefully a couple of good signings in the off season and we may have some decent strike power that Hook can work with. Lets start in the halves and FB position please!!

The best solution is always the simplest one. Lockyer to Assistant Coach. Problem solved. I'm deadly serious.

In many respects this makes sense for the Broncos management standpoint, they don't want to come off as a club which makes rash decisions and culls people willy nilly, things like that damages the clubs culture and doesn't help to get people to come.

If they did give griffin the flick they would still need somebody for next year to fill gap until they went hard to attract somebody like Maguire to the job who would not be available until 2015, I don't really see an alternative at this point.

You never know it may just take the pressure off the coach and players.

Rash decisions??? They have won 7 of the last 24 matches (16th in that time frame), his 86ing is long overdue IMO, his gameplan isn't up to NRL standard, he can't even cope with the interchange bench, he has absolutely no answers. I can understand some fans being concerned about a musical chair situation but so be it, I am interested in results, I don't care how many coaches they go through to be successful again. In order to get the club moving forward, Step 1 has to be taken and ASAP. I am projecting them to finish 9-15 (on current form), if that is indeed the case, then Hook has a snowball""s chance in Gympie on being around next season, it just won't happen in spite of what is in the CM today.

Sorry Ari, as much as I like your vision of what footy should be, it can't be the priority. The fancy stuff is great to watch, but it doesn't provide results. Look at the Warriors, they are as exciting as they are frustrating to watch.
On the other hand, look at the most successful club in the last decade... Boring, controlling, grinding footy. They only have a premiership to show for it because they're ****ing cheats and grubs, but they are the benchmark.

Sure, ideally we would want to find a compromise between both, which souffs seems to have at the moment, but for that, you need a Greg Inglis and a coach like Maguire. Not sure those are so easy to find...

personally, an entertaining loss is far easier to take than a clueless, boring one. Our game is about entertainment.
Regarding the Storm, they have the most complex plays in the game. The variations, sleight of hand, timing, positioning that takes place in their plays is phenomenal. The understanding that their players have of their roles, with and without the ball, comes from a clearly thought out strategy and lots of rehearsal.
There is a reason the Storm has been successful. there is also a reason why players like Smith and Cronk, in particular, are such influential in their roles- Bellamy.

I'm happy to stand behind Hook if the club genuinely believe he is the man for the job. They need to give him the players and the coaching team to rebuild this club though. Obviously Hook is involved in recruitment and the hiring of assistants though.

personally, an entertaining loss is far easier to take than a clueless, boring one. Our game is about entertainment.
Regarding the Storm, they have the most complex plays in the game. The variations, sleight of hand, timing, positioning that takes place in their plays is phenomenal. The understanding that their players have of their roles, with and without the ball, comes from a clearly thought out strategy and lots of rehearsal.
There is a reason the Storm has been successful. there is also a reason why players like Smith and Cronk, in particular, are such influential in their roles- Bellamy.
Undoubtedly true. Yet the average RL fan will still find it boring footy to watch, especially those who revel with show ponies like Marshall or SJ. The Storm has Billy Slater as their pinnacle of entertainment (which is not bad, don't get me wrong), but spends 90% of the time doing the hard, boring stuff.
You gotta earn the right to play that brand of footy by getting the boring basic stuff right though.

Of course it's easier to watch and entertaining loss than a boring one, I'm sure souffs fans until very recently would agree!
But look at all the teams who play that entertaining brand of footy, like the Warriors, Cows, Tigers or Canberra. More often than not, their performance is disappointing and they languish down the bottom of the ladder, or at the very least outside the top 8.

We're having our worst season ever, and look at this forum, imagine if like the above teams, this type of season performance became a habit! :scared:

For me a loss is a loss whether it be entertaining or not, and winning is winning. I know, old sayings and all but if we are playing "boring" football and winning, a la Dragons their premiership year, then I'm happy.

I think it is hard to compare any team with the Storm as they have the best three players in their positions in the comp with quite a few above average/ top 5 in their position.

So in saying that, I think Griffin is not that much different to most coaches as they all play similar structures it's just that we are lacking that extra kick to turn those inside outside, sweeping second man or decoy running plays into points.

Basically, I think Griffin is not the sole problem, it's our execution that's letting us down. He has the players in the right place but the players are just not finishing it off.

Its quite clear now that Griffin is not up to NRL standards. His record is now 11 wins from his last 32 games. There has never been such a horrendous period at the Broncos. The sad part is that in our regular starting 13 we have 8 internationals plus 2 Origin reps yet we are sitting at the bottom of the ladder. I doubt you would find another team in the competition with that sort of representative level.

In addition there is not one single player in that squad that has improved under the coaching of Griffin. Glenn has gone backwards this year, Gillett has stagnated, Hunt is Qcup at best, Maranta is rubbish, McCullough is one of the worst hookers in the game. Hoffman is probably the only player to have improved but that probably because he has been moved to the wing.

How funny is that the worst team in 2011 and 2012 was Parramatta coached by Stephen Kearney, now one of the worst teams in 2013 is the Broncos and Kearney is our defensive coach. The club is being run into the ground by our management staff.

I'm sure they'll reconsider their options once
We get the spoon next year. But maybe they could start with getting rid of kearney. What exactly has be contributed to this team?

I'm sure they'll reconsider their options once
We get the spoon next year. But maybe they could start with getting rid of kearney. What exactly has be contributed to this team?

He carries the water out to the players during the game.:loool:

Will be an interesting few weeks that's for sure.

I expect crowds will be shocking for all remaining home games.

Last edited:
We are only one or two decent attacking players away from the top of the table imo. If we had two fit Justin Hodges it would make a world of difference. We need guys who know how to find the tryline and players like Maranta have shown they are no where near up to it at this point in time.

Undoubtedly true. Yet the average RL fan will still find it boring footy to watch, especially those who revel with show ponies like Marshall or SJ.
:001_rolleyes: I wonder why you so furiously stand behind Wallace yet call SJ a show pony. SJ actually does good things, Wallace is dead-boring-average. That's all he'll ever be.
The fact that Cam Smith has come out publicly and supported Hook, does this actually give us a chance to sign him if Hook is still our coach?
Why has Smith been involved in that discussion? Link?

Undoubtedly true. Yet the average RL fan will still find it boring footy to watch, especially those who revel with show ponies like Marshall or SJ. The Storm has Billy Slater as their pinnacle of entertainment (which is not bad, don't get me wrong), but spends 90% of the time doing the hard, boring stuff.
i still get a laugh out of the BHQ theory of the storm being boring to watch.

if you actually watch their games theyre one of the most entertaining teams IMO. the slater/smith/cronk interplay is exciting, and each player is exciting to watch individually. waqa is going great guns, chambers is an absolute gun with ball in hand, widdop was going great, hoffman and cronk have a deadly combination....

they also have scored the 3rd most tries this year, and have the 5th most linebreaks. but i guess if you hate them youll find them boring, obviously.

Not sure if this has been posted elsewhere already..

EXCLUSIVE: BRISBANE hierarchy have ended months of speculation over coach Anthony Griffin's future by guaranteeing his job for next season even if the Broncos miss this year's finals. The Courier-Mail can reveal the Broncos board has given unequivocal support to Griffin, whose tenure has come into question amid Brisbane's dramatic slide to 13th place on the NRL table.
Broncos legend Darren Lockyer has been an influential figure, telling Broncos chief executive Paul White at a meeting last week Griffin is the coach to preside over a reinvigoration of the club.
The Broncos are facing the worst season in their 25-year history and must win six of their last eight games, including Friday night's clash against Cronulla, to make the playoffs.
Is Anthony Griffin the right man to take the Broncos forward? Vote below
But if the Broncos capitulate and miss the finals for the second time in four seasons, Griffin will avoid the axe.
The 46-year-old is contracted until the end of 2015 and White, also a board member, confirmed Monday night Griffin will be at the helm next season irrespective of a finals fade out.
"I can categorically say this now: Anthony's job is safe, simple as that," White said.
"The club is fighting very hard to make the finals, there is still a job to be done this year. But myself and the board are convinced Anthony is the right man and the right coach for our club moving forward.
"The strong thing about Hook (Griffin) is that he is brutally honest, he's got an enormous work ethic and he treats people with respect.
"He is building the right culture for our club. We are going through a tough period at the moment, we are being challenged and we are right to be challenged.
"I'm just as accountable and my job is to make sure everyone in this organisation has everything they need to succeed in an industry where the bar keeps getting higher.
"It (sacking Griffin) is not a reaction we are contemplating."

KEVIN WALTERS SHOULD BE BRONCOS COACH: TALLIS
Brisbane great Gorden Tallis said on Sunday he believed Kevin Walters is tailor-made to rebuild the Broncos but Lockyer, the club's most-capped player, urged powerbrokers to stay patient with Griffin.
"I've said to a few people, including Paul White, that Anthony is the right coach for the Broncos," Lockyer said.
"I have been coached by plenty of coaches and from my experience, Hook is very good.
"The coach has got what it takes, but it is probably the resources around him that can improve.
"If the Broncos can add one or two matchwinners to their roster, they are a force.

"Hook is very direct with the players, he is not a coach to make excuses. I like his attitude and the style he coaches.
"I'm confident he can make Brisbane a competitive powerhouse again."
Broncos legend Walters, an assistant coach at Melbourne, is off-contract at season's end.
He has been linked with a return to Brisbane but says he is undecided about his future.
"I'm not sure what I'm going to be doing next year," he said.
"My family are still in Brisbane, but I will see what happens for the rest of the season.
"They (Brisbane) do need to make the finals. Knowing the Broncos and the culture that has been up there, they won't give up ... but they are making it hard for themselves."
No Cookies | The Courier-Mail

:001_rolleyes: I wonder why you so furiously stand behind Wallace yet call SJ a show pony. SJ actually does good things, Wallace is dead-boring-average. That's all he'll ever be.

Why has Smith been involved in that discussion? Link?
Am not sure whether you are asking me why i mentioned Cam Smith or whether you are asking why he was brought into the Griffin story. If it is the latter you would have to ask Smith as there is a Courier Mail article this morning attributed just to him and his support for Hook being the man to resurrect the Broncos.
Don't know why he got involved but it sounded like he is pretty close to Hook.
Cannot find a link for you on the internet but the story was in the Courier Mail i downloaded to my Ipad this morning.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• winslow_wong
  • Strop
  • Broncosgirl
  • Kev_Guz
  • broncsgoat
  • Browny
  • Robboi_321
  • Bucking Beads
  • bb_gun
  • Xzei
  • theshed
  • Broncosarethebest
  • heartly87
  • Wolfie
  • Waynesaurus
  • Gaz
  • bert_lifts
  • Stix
  • Skyblues87
  • Allo
... and 11 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.