Sack Griffin/New Coach Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
My feeling is this.

Hook stays around for 2014.

But that's it. He can cop the brunt of that year and we move on in 2015 with a new coach, a new manager and a new direction.

Why would we want him to hang around for another year?
I'm confused about why he deserves another year. What is it that he brings that deserves more time?

Why would we want him to hang around for another year?
I'm confused about why he deserves another year. What is it that he brings that deserves more time?

The only positive I can think of is that the players seem to like him.

Other than that he's one of the worst coaches in the comp. We've got a similar build to the Doggies last year. The difference is that they identified their weaknesses and built up a plan around it. Griffin keeps backing ours. Another year of him alongside Wallace and Prince is just scary.

Because if you bring somebody else into inherit the squad in the shape it's in you do that coach no favours.

I feel we're at or closing in on rock bottom. We will rise from here BUT if we want to achieve the full benefit of a new coach and regime we owe them the time to put together the roster they want. If we do that now, they will not have that luxury.

Joining....??

Didn't you start this thread, like half way through last year?
I changed my mind because there's not much better options out there but if he selects heartless and numpty then I'm back on the sacking bandwagon.

Can someone please tell me if anyone here has actually sat through at least one full training session and seen what happens, then compared it to any one of a dozen games we have played?

Murray, even though long odd, has had a second heart attack & is in a critical condition :(

Wonder what henjak thinks of all this. Hook inherits his roster and inherits the same results.

Wonder what henjak thinks of all this. Hook inherits his roster and inherits the same results.

there is still one difference between Hook and Henjak.

Under Henjak, we were constantly belted by 50 points.

Under Hook, although losing, were not getting belted by anywhere near the scorelines. infact many of our losses have been by less than 10 points. what we need is someone who can take advantage of the great position our forwards more than often get us in.

We also need to improve our defensive starch, we would've won most of those games if we didn't consistently miss 30+ tackles every single game!

Our kicking in general has also been pretty ordinary, our kick chase can be good at times but our attacking kicks and short kicking game is really behind the other teams.

There doesn't really seem to be any plan to our kicking at times, which is then compounded by often poor execution, from memory I think our kicking game was better last year.

Under Hook, although losing, were not getting belted by anywhere near the scorelines. infact many of our losses have been by less than 10 points.

Just did some breakdowns of win and loss percentages for Henjak and Griffin.

Henjak

30+ win: 2 (7.4%)
20+ win: 6 (22.2%)
13+ win: 7 (26%)
1-12 win: 12 (44.4%)

30+ loss: 7 (29.2%)
20+ loss: 2 (8.3%)
13+ loss: 7 (29.2%)
1-12 loss: 8 (33.3%)

Griffin

30+ win: 2 (5.3%)
20+ win: 8 (21%)
13+ win: 9 (23.7%)
1-12 win: 19 (50%)

30+ loss: 2 (6.5%)
20+ loss: 5 (16%)
13+ loss: 4 (13%)
1-12 loss: 20 (64.5%)

Last edited:
Just did some breakdowns of win and loss percentages for Henjak and Griffin.

Henjak

30+ win: 2 (7.4%)
20+ win: 6 (22.2%)
13+ win: 7 (26%)
1-12 win: 12 (44.4%)

30+ loss: 7 (29.2%)
20+ loss: 2 (8.3%)
13+ loss: 7 (29.2%)
1-12 loss: 8 (33.3%)

Griffin

30+ win: 2 (5.3%)
20+ win: 8 (21%)
13+ win: 9 (23.7%)
1-12 win: 19 (50%)

30+ loss: 2 (6.5%)
20+ loss: 5 (16%)
13+ loss: 4 (13%)
1-12 loss: 20 (64.5%)
20 losses 1-12, wow. We've won something like 12 out of the last 35 games or so, so about 20 out of those 23~ losses are by less than 12. That's a telling statistic. Barba is worth 3 million... Ok he's not but you get the point.

Since the string of losses started 33 games ago

30+ loss: 2
20+ loss: 2
13+ loss: 4
1-12 loss: 15

- Major issue imo is our permeability in defense. We miss more tackles per game than any other team on average, even more than Parra FFS! That is without a doubt a coaching issue, and puts our not so creative attack under pressure.

- With Yow Yeh, Copley and Kahu missing, we have had to rely on the nuffie on the right wing, essentially nullifying it in attack. I have lost count of the amount of tries gone begging this season for that reason alone.

- We have a talented player with no heart playing fullback, whom no one really expected to see leave for $450K a season, probably has his head somewhere around western Sydney, and keeps butchering opportunities on the left side. I have also lost count of the tries gone begging on that side.

I reckon that without the above issues, we would have won most of those close losses and would be sitting pretty and comfortable on the ladder, despite Wallace's speed, Prince's age and Macca's slow service. Yet, this is what people concentrate on!

I'm not saying we would be premiership material either. But keep missing 30+ tackles per game, while butchering tries left right and centre, and not even Smith+Thurston would bring us a premiership!

Under Hook, although losing, were not getting belted by anywhere near the scorelines. infact many of our losses have been by less than 10 points. what we need is someone who can take advantage of the great position our forwards more than often get us in.

Exactly right. Another very important difference is that he hasn't lost the players. For locky to say what he said about Henjak in his book speaks volumes about Ivan imo

I'm not saying we would be premiership material either. But keep missing 30+ tackles per game, while butchering tries left right and centre, and not even Smith+Thurston would bring us a premiership!
with smith and thurston we wouldnt be butchering tries left right and centre, thats the thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Unread

Active Now

• Tmac
  • bert_lifts
  • Xzei
  • Locky24
  • Dee
  • I bleed Maroon
  • MaroubraBroncos
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.