Sack Griffin/New Coach Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Alec

Alec

International Rep
Mar 4, 2008
Re: 2014 Ladies and Gentlemen

I'm honestly not too displeased with griffin. Last year our defence was great. This year he went to attack with Kearney in defence. Even with a horrible injury toll our attack has started to click and griffin is making the right decisions. Our defence is literally the worst in the comp. Two sets in that game we had any line speed at all. The rest nothing. Yet we were the stuffed ones? I did notice all of their players were all muscle ours not so much. Very much is a conditioning issue. Our defence in and around the ruck is horrible.

Yeah, and all of that is largely Griffin's fault. Like I said earlier, people and players like him, which makes it hard to see past his numerous flaws.

V

Viti

NRL Player
Feb 2, 2011
One thing I forgot to mention that I can't stand about his coaching is his obsession with size. His entire plan is based around trying to out"muscle" the opposition. These days all the best teams prioritise skills and pace over size. It's more important being able to throw a pass, pop an offload and use footwork to beat the defender even with the forwards. It's also why a good linespeed in defence is important too, to try to stop these things from happening (in addition to obviously not concede so much ground).

Griffin is really about 10-12 years behind the current coaching standard.

I think he confuses size with strength. It frustrates me so much that we can't do the little things right like wrestling to dominate the ruck and that's what tells me Hook has no idea.

LittleDavey

LittleDavey

NRL Captain
Mar 25, 2013

Liked is different to respected. Whatever your opinions on Wayne, he was and is respected by all - maybe not liked all the time because he won't shy away from making anyone do the hard yards, but respected.

Is Hook liked because he's soft on his players, or respected because he works them hard? I know what my money's on. Without major coaching changes (not necessarily personnel mind you) we don't have a hope no matter who's in our side.

An on-field leader is also essential.

LittleDavey

LittleDavey

NRL Captain
Mar 25, 2013
Absolutely, we get fucking dominated in the wrestle, even by the shit teams. As much as I hate it, it's an ESSENTIAL part of the game. I've been saying it all season but WTF do we do at training?? Not attack. Not defence. Not wrestling. Not stamina training. So...wtf?

rnabokov

rnabokov

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008

The Cowboys were a good example of what happens to a team with a seriously good roster and a coach who couldn't make use of it.

We talk on these forum seeming to expect a few classy players will turn it all around next year.

We should think again. When you watch the good teams play you see above all else, organization and discipline, urgency and a "brutal" commitment to get on top of the opposition. You see a team of hard men playing hard ball - as a team.

If we honestly believe Barba and Milford and Kennedy (or whoever) will turn our fortunes around just like that, I think we will all be in for a rude shock.

R

Raw Boned Youngster

QCup Player
Mar 9, 2008
The wrestling is only a part of it- the other problem is we are constantly getting multi defenders on us in tackles which compounds the slowness of. Th e play the ball.
There is no impact at the ruck at all, and that is despite having Hannant, mcGuire and Thaiday et al.
Our only variation is a Parker off load and that has been recently nullified by the defensive approaches used by other teams on him.

Hook's ruck plays on the crucial tackles from 1 to 4 are abysmal.
The dummy half blame thrown at Macca or Wallace is misdirected- that is a training park issue.
Need body in motion and the realisation that a player without the ball is a crucial part of t he mix.

Nashy

Nashy

Immortal
Senior Staff
Mar 5, 2008

I have a terrible feeling our spineless administration, the same mob who didn't sack Griffin and Kearney 6 rounds ago, are going to royally **** up with Barba and Milford. Barba will probably be at the Titans.

I have never been more deflated about a new seasons prospects before. Our club is being run into the ground hard.

There is no way the coach would have been sacked mid season. And that's a bloody good thing. If you want disorganisation, support a Sydney club.

TheDrumBeat

TheDrumBeat

Contributor
Mar 16, 2013

Agree that Hook and Kearney need to go. Also need to hire a dietician, all year we have looked alot chubbier than our competition. If you look at the coaches of the top 4 sides they're all calm and collected when they need to be and irate when they need to be... Hook and co just seem to be mates with all the players and not willing to give their backsides a kicking when they are playing lazy football.. Not to mention young players need someone to follow as a captain.... Sammy is a top player but he also likes a pie and really needs to start showing that the players he leads are his troops.. enough with the jokes Sammy, your a captain of the greatest, proudest rugby league club in the world... act accordingly.

Bull Shark

Bull Shark

State of Origin Rep
Jun 4, 2008

With Hunt hopefully our half next year and if we sign Milford, Barba ( even Prince) for the other halves position I wouldn't mind seeing (as much as it hurts me to say) Johns as our halves coaching consultant, he does have a very good football brain.

As for Kearney, well something has to be done. Does Ryan want to come home too???

Griffin already has the blueprint for success in 2014 figured out: "we just need to get our attitude right......"

P

pagey

State of Origin Rep
Aug 19, 2013

Disappointing game, I think all these do or die games have taken a toll! Injuries have dented our roster and have looked off pace most of the season imo

Morkel

Morkel

International Captain
Contributor
Jan 25, 2013
With Hunt hopefully our half next year and if we sign Milford, Barba ( even Prince) for the other halves position I wouldn't mind seeing (as much as it hurts me to say) Johns as our halves coaching consultant, he does have a very good football brain.

As for Kearney, well something has to be done. Does Ryan want to come home too???

New defensive coach for sure, but I don't see the appeal in someone like Johns as a halves coach. 99% of what he did was instinct, vision & the talents he was born with. You can't coach that & that doesn't make him a good teacher. Someone like Sterling or an excellent 'manufactured' half like Cronk would be better, someone with the brains.

M

mieko

QCup Player
Aug 25, 2011

New defensive coach for sure, but I don't see the appeal in someone like Johns as a halves coach. 99% of what he did was instinct, vision & the talents he was born with. You can't coach that & that doesn't make him a good teacher. Someone like Sterling or an excellent 'manufactured' half like Cronk would be better, someone with the brains.

Yeah true in regards to natural talent etc but he has done wonders with DCE and Foz. With Hunt and a young half he could certainly mould them into being superstars. Hunt I feel has that same vision and instinct.

DCE is a great player to start with and Johns has taken him to the next level, same would happen with Hunt I reckon.

Foordy

Foordy

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008

why go for Johns when we could try to convince Locky to work as our halves consultant.

It is also rumoured that Kevvie Walters will be our assistant next season

Foordy

Foordy

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008
We could make an approach to Daniel Anderson to be our coach in 2014 ... he has done wonders with the referees this season :001_rolleyes:

TheDrumBeat

TheDrumBeat

Contributor
Mar 16, 2013

why go for Johns when we could try to convince Locky to work as our halves consultant.

It is also rumoured that Kevvie Walters will be our assistant next season

Words cannot describe how happy I would be to see this happen... Never want Johns anywhere near the Broncos... But King Locky. Yes.

rnabokov

rnabokov

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008

When was it that commentators and others frequently observed how strong and fit the team was?

GCBRONCO

GCBRONCO

International Captain
Mar 4, 2008
Don't get me started on the reffing this season please.

Bull Shark

Bull Shark

State of Origin Rep
Jun 4, 2008
Absolutely, we get fucking dominated in the wrestle, even by the shit teams. As much as I hate it, it's an ESSENTIAL part of the game. I've been saying it all season but WTF do we do at training?? Not attack. Not defence. Not wrestling. Not stamina training. So...wtf?

couple of run-throughs then Griffin asks if their attitude is right and when they all say "yes", everyone gets an early mark... That's why the players adore him

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• Bucking Beads
  • kman
  • davidp
  • Galah
  • ChewThePhatt
  • The Strapper
  • Swordfish
  • BroncosAlways
  • barker
  • leon.bott
  • Johnny92
  • FACTHUNT
  • Culhwch
  • winslow_wong
  • Financeguy
  • Manofoneway
... and 2 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.