Sack Griffin/New Coach Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Lurker thinks there is movement at the station......

Pressure mounting on Anthony Griffin
Anthony Griffin's job as Broncos coach for 2014 is far from safe. Elements within the Broncos ranks, concerned at the club's failure to make the finals this season, are pushing for former Queensland and Test star Kevin Walters to replace Griffin. Walters is set to join the Broncos next season – as an assistant coach. But if senior figures at the club get their way, Walters will take over the top job by the time the club kicks off their 2014 campaign next March. Walters also has some handy allies in highly-regarded former Broncos greats, who played alongside him during the club's glory days in the 1990s. The former star five-eighth has served a good apprenticeship under one of the greatest modern-day coaches in Craig Bellamy and the pressure is on for a change at the top. Look for movement at boardroom level in coming weeks.

NRL Premiership | The Lurker - NRL Rumour File - Wednesday

At the very least, I want to see Griffin and Kearney swap roles (since, as I understand it, Kearney does the defence, Griffin does the attack? Seems backwards to me)

I think Walters works on the Storm attack... which isn't particularly impressive. On the positive side it's something that we've actually been trying to emulate, so someone from within would help us achieve that. The most impressive this year has been Jason Taylor working on the Roosters attack. SBW obviously was a massive addition, but they still improved a lot thanks to him.

I think Walters works on the Storm attack... which isn't particularly impressive. On the positive side it's something that we've actually been trying to emulate, so someone from within would help us achieve that. The most impressive this year has been Jason Taylor working on the Roosters attack. SBW obviously was a massive addition, but they still improved a lot thanks to him.

True. I just think someone like Kev could be a long term coach. I really don't think Griffin will be, considering he was second choice if that in the first place.

Funny. I was so ant-Griffin during the '13 season, and in some way, I remain highly critical of his apparent failures to create and maintain and improve disciplined and organized structures in defence and attack, and as head coach, acknowledge and address the fitness and conditioning fiasco

Yet, we have him, and now Kevvie Walters as assistant coach.

The LAST thing the club and the team needs is dissent and any whiteanting in those 2 key positions from now till end of 2014

Kev would be the kind of person that would get a lot of support from the Broncos board and the public with him being a former great and premiership winning captain which definitely helps but I think he will have his work cut out as head coach.

Kevin Walters can be a real positive addition to the new coaching staff as have the other additions for next season, we got some serious changes there for next season and that's a positive, What Griffin will do with this its hard to say but what I do know is for his sake and the clubs future he needs to take it on board this need for change and adapt, personally I hope he does because I'd like to think that even if 2014 was his last season with the Broncos, it finished on a higher note for him.

Last edited:
Griffin has all the information he needs to know exactly what is required of a premiership winning team: our record and stats, and those of the top 3 2013 sides.

Just have to watch the replays.

If there are no evidence of significant changes (I said evidence, not instant miracles) by the end of game 1 in '14, we are doomed

Yeah I know where your coming from rnabokov, though realistically I would say 2-3 matches in would be a more realistic indication.

Some serious evidence of change includes in no particular order, a lot of these are basic things that can be addressed and failure to do so will indicate his not upto the task.

Fitness
Defense
deeper attacking line
forwards looking to offload with support
Bench rotation
Kicking game
Dummy half service
More willingness to make tough decisions on team selections.

Last edited:
I think the fact that Griffin has taken us backwards regardless whether its been addressed now, which i personally doubt was his doing, is enough for him to be moved on. He is mediocre and i think having a club legend in the post with good supports around him would be a great stepping stone for the club to regain that aura and bring bit of pride back to the jersey.

Is anyone overlooking the fact Kev coached the Catalans Dragons unsuccessfully for 2 seasons finishing with a win percentage of 37%. He quite possibly would've learnt new skills and improved coaching wise since he has been an assistant to Bellamy at the Storm so there is every chance he is a better coach than what he was during 2009-2010.

Keep in mind that a great playing career doesn't guarantee coaching success..remember Wally Lewis.

Is anyone overlooking the fact Kev coached the Catalans Dragons unsuccessfully for 2 seasons finishing with a win percentage of 37%. He quite possibly would've learnt new skills and improved coaching wise since he has been an assistant to Bellamy at the Storm so there is every chance he is a better coach than what he was during 2009-2010.

Keep in mind that a great playing career doesn't guarantee coaching success..remember Wally Lewis.

Yeah thats been thrown up before. Until he has had a crack in the NRL we will never know.

Yea I'm still very wary of Kev as head coach for this very reason. I'm prepared to give Hook another season in the hope that the excellent changes to the rest of the coaching staff will improve our performance next year, as well as hopefully improve Hook's coaching skills as well.

Kev I think would fit well as our assistant coach; give him a year (or more) on our system, before deciding whether it is beneficial, and whether he has the skills, to move into head coach, if that's the direction the Broncos want to take.

Yeah, one of the reasons I'm sceptical about him. Just haven't been blown away from the things he's supposedly been doing as (assistant) coach. I think I said it before, but looking from the outside, Jason Taylor and Brett Kimmorley look like more promising coaching prospects (though admittedly Taylor also struggled a bit with Souffs before, but they were a hopeless side and he was also the first coach in years to take them into the finals).

As far as past players coaching goes it's a real hard thing to gauge, some players can do it, others can't, some have better scenario's to work with others don't, in Wally's case the Seagulls had a poor squad and financially struggling not to mention administration that was found seriously wanting at the club, Kenny had a similar situation with the Eels. I've seen past players with far better conditions do worse.

Last edited:
Yeah, one of the reasons I'm sceptical about him. Just haven't been blown away from the things he's supposedly been doing as (assistant) coach. I think I said it before, but looking from the outside, Jason Taylor and Brett Kimmorley look like more promising coaching prospects (though admittedly Taylor also struggled a bit with Souffs before, but they were a hopeless side and he was also the first coach in years to take them into the finals).

So were catalans though, so i dont think we can write him off because of them.

So were catalans though, so i dont think we can write him off because of them.

I'm not writing him off, I'd be for his signing (just cautiously optimistic), especially as it will likely take Griffin away from coaching our attack.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Unread

Active Now

• Swordfish
  • Mustafur
  • bb_gun
  • Mighty Bronx
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.