Sack Griffin/New Coach Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't want to disagree that Gee be held responsible for our poor recruitment, but just a thought, maybe he has done exactly what Griffin has asked of him???

I am going to disagree with this comment only because I think it is more likely Gee would over rule Griffin. I am not sure that Gee could be most of the problem

Hook would be asking for the players he wants to execute his plans.

Gee would be the one going about recruiting those players wouldn't he ?

They would more than likely talk about things, but at the end of the day, i'd expect it'd be Hooks call on who they got.

I agree Hook should have the say but Gee is a more senior Broncos employee and I am not sure his ego would not get in the way.
Bias opinion of course. I liked Gee as a player but just have never felt he was the golden administrator the Broncos do

My comment was simply a question, you are more than welcome to disagree. Just a thought that if Gee has done exactly what hook has asked of him in regard to the current squad, the finger may need to be pointed at hook instead. We hear all the time that coaches need time to assemble the squad they want, so I think it's safe to say hook has been afforded the same privileges.
Sorry my mistake
I realised it was a question after I hit the submit button

That's a telling statistic but also goes to show how good this club has been that a bad finish to the season and a mediocre start the year after is the worst period in the club's history.

It was always going to happen at some point. I guess everybody hoped it'd be a little bit later. You can point at so many factors, most of which were out of our control but the current crop need to ensure that this period is rock bottom otherwise heads will roll.

Yeah, didn't warrant it's own thread, like you said a bunch of reasons why and its all coming to a head.

I still believe with a change in structures we could salvage something of this season, surely through repetition and training they would stick which is why I wonder if those times when we look good its just the players doing their own thing.

Last edited:
Mid-Season Review article in Big League brought up some interesting points.

We lead the competition for completion rates (79%)

Corey Norman's 10 Try Assists which is double for the next contributor (unspecified)

Our defence is terrible. We miss the most amount of tackles, concede the most offloads and our tackle efficiency (87%) is the lowest in the competition.

We've only scored one long distance (50m+) try

Our starting pack earns the most metres on average (573.7m) than any other starting pack in the competition.

Hard to believe our forward pack is averaging the most metres in the comp isn't it.

Hard to believe our forward pack is averaging the most metres in the comp isn't it.

Perhaps though there's another way to look at it, once the starting pack gets tired we either don't have the proper forward rotation in place or our bench selection lets us down.

Perhaps though there's another way to look at it, once the starting pack gets tired we either don't have the proper forward rotation in place or our bench selection lets us down.

That could have something to do with it. Certianly is alarming how poor our defence has been considering that is everything Hook seems to base his plan around.

it's also this: the other telling stat is we do bugger all except in the oppositions red zone. All those metres wasted all too often.

There is simply no longer any adventure, creativity in this side. This is again a game plan issue.

Hook has everyone playing the most boring, unimaginative football. No wonder our talent is wasted.

That too and its rather pointless making such metres at present when you can neither sustain it nor take advantage of it consistently. This is properly what disappoints people the most, not so much the roster, more that we don't work the best with what we got.

Last edited:
Recruitment isn't part of andrew gees vocabulary but mediocre is.

Don't forget also our starting forwards are generally playing 55+ minutes a game - our bench is way underutilised, so that's another thing counting towards that stat.

We haven't done well for long-range tries for many years now, we just haven't had the speed to trouble most other teams. Not for a long, long time have I seen a Bronco get the ball in a bit of space and think "they'll never catch him now!" Happens regularly with the speedsters throughout the comp, we just don't have any pace.

Defence falling down is where we've really come unstuck over the last 12 months IMO. We were winning games well at the start of 2012 in part because of our defence. We were monstering the other teams, limiting their metres, hurting them physically and limiting points. We didn't need to score much to win because our defence was solid. I clearly remember commenting to my wife a few times early last year that the defence was the only thing winning our games, and I hoped they'd start working on attack at training soon because it was fairly poor. Once our defence started crumbling, that was it. We still couldn't score many points and the opposition just started outscoring us. There were obviously exceptions, but it seemed (to me) to be the general trend. Forward to this year, and we're in a worse position than ever - defence is even softer (very disappointing) and attack is still struggling big time. Why NEITHER are improving is beyond me...I keep saying it, but what do they do at training??

Mid-Season Review article in Big League brought up some interesting points.

We lead the competition for completion rates (79%)

Corey Norman's 10 Try Assists which is double for the next contributor (unspecified)

Our defence is terrible. We miss the most amount of tackles, concede the most offloads and our tackle efficiency (87%) is the lowest in the competition.

We've only scored one long distance (50m+) try

Our starting pack earns the most metres on average (573.7m) than any other starting pack in the competition.

Just another reason to sign new halves isn't it. Hook's plans obviously aren't working and he needs to change his coaching style.

Don't forget also our starting forwards are generally playing 55+ minutes a game - our bench is way underutilised, so that's another thing counting towards that stat.

We haven't done well for long-range tries for many years now, we just haven't had the speed to trouble most other teams. Not for a long, long time have I seen a Bronco get the ball in a bit of space and think "they'll never catch him now!" Happens regularly with the speedsters throughout the comp, we just don't have any pace.

Defence falling down is where we've really come unstuck over the last 12 months IMO. We were winning games well at the start of 2012 in part because of our defence. We were monstering the other teams, limiting their metres, hurting them physically and limiting points. We didn't need to score much to win because our defence was solid. I clearly remember commenting to my wife a few times early last year that the defence was the only thing winning our games, and I hoped they'd start working on attack at training soon because it was fairly poor. Once our defence started crumbling, that was it. We still couldn't score many points and the opposition just started outscoring us. There were obviously exceptions, but it seemed (to me) to be the general trend. Forward to this year, and we're in a worse position than ever - defence is even softer (very disappointing) and attack is still struggling big time. Why NEITHER are improving is beyond me...I keep saying it, but what do they do at training??

Seriously, this is a key question.

Either Hook coaches in opposed sessions - set plays: left side, right side, middle, edges; defensive line speed, drills it, positions players when they stand wrong; stops a practice play when it goes wrong and re-sets it .....or

the players just don't go out and do it.

Have I missed anything? Does anyone sit through our training sessions and watches, takes notes and compares practice to the real thing?

OH, of course ... sorry FaithinHook. So tell US all about our WONDERFUL training sessions, or how and what players couldn't give a tinker's cuss about the game plan?

(Sometimes, I say **** the moon, let me see a bunch of fives)

Last edited:
Defence is attitude and work ethic more than anything, and that is clearly what is hurting us most. The team is very fragile mentally, and will drop their collective heads at any let down, error or wrong bounce of the ball.

You can argue all you like about creativity and using the whole field or just the last 20 mtrs to attack, without the proper attitude, you won't see guys supporting second phase, you won't see forwards run in pairs, etc... you'll get the one outs everyone is seeing because "someone has to cart the ball", not because they actually want to!

They need a rocket. Hook has to stop being the nice guy and stay loyal to those than aren't performing. He also needs to get his captain to do more talking and get up the players that are being lazy and slacking of their duties. If Thaiday isn't up to the task, give it to someone who is, be it Parker, Glenn or even Wallace (even if he's not the flashiest player around), who are definitely the guys who not only lead by example, but will also get in the other players' faces and tell them to pull their finger out.

I don't care if you miss a tackle while you were making the effort, but I cannot accept Thaiday's tackle on the last Raiders try for example!

Before we even start thinking about game plans and expansive brand of footy, we need to get those players putting in 100% for the 80 mins!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• Broncosarethebest
  • bert_lifts
  • Foordy
  • lynx000
  • Morkel
  • ChewThePhatt
  • winslow_wong
  • ivanhungryjak
  • Midean
  • Manofoneway
  • Dash
  • Sproj
  • Pablo
  • Old Mate
  • IceWorks
  • FACTHUNT
  • Bucking Beads
  • KateBroncos1812
  • Xzei
  • Behind enemy lines
... and 10 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.