Sam Thaiday

GCBRONCO

GCBRONCO

International Captain
Mar 4, 2008
Re: Sack Griffin? How about sack Thaiday

Ok, agree with this and don't want to defend big Sam

That said, did anyone think the Newcastle player held on to him to milk the penalty which led to the sin binning?

The second one was milked but then its no excuse he was warned, the knights were milking it all game any opportunity, Thaiday as captain should have known better then to get suckered in. If his really guilty of anything its how he came out afterwards, the side did well to hold its own and he should have come out firing, but no same old crap.

Last edited:
N

nopatience101

NRL Captain
Mar 4, 2008

Maybe if we keep being **** Bennett will come back and save the club. I can't imagine he'd like his 20 years of hard work and excellence going down the toilet.
Dads army has been just as ordinary as we have the last couple of seasons.

vertigo

vertigo

State of Origin Rep
Mar 2, 2010

Let's just hope he doesn't reach teflon status where any criticism is written off as 'people who aren't real fans'.

winslow_wong

winslow_wong

International Captain
May 27, 2013

Thaiday won't get sacked or demoted. Whenhas his form or attitude ever been questioned in the past 4 years? The broncos think he's the man. The cowboys obviously saw something and didn't sign him

Morkel

Morkel

International Captain
Contributor
Jan 25, 2013

Thaiday won't get sacked or demoted. Whenhas his form or attitude ever been questioned in the past 4 years? The broncos think he's the man. The cowboys obviously saw something and didn't sign him

On the contrary, the Cowboys went hard at him, it's why the Broncos threw in the (c) as a sweetener. And because of that, unless Sam agrees that he's not the best choice, they can't strip it off him without creating an internal poo fight. Stuck between a rock & a hard place. Maybe we write a firm yet genuine letter to Thaiday respectfully asking him to consider stepping down?

IMO, after last night, Glenn is the the best choice for captain.

Alec

Alec

International Rep
Mar 4, 2008

It shouldn't be like "we need to stick by him". He's almost in tears in the photo. We shouldn't be keeping him captain out of pity, if he is captain material he needs to fire up and prove everyone wrong.

There is a huge difference between Lockyer in 04/05 and Thaiday now. Lockyer was giving his all those days too, everyone was actually relying too much on him. Meanwhile Thaiday has been more of a passenger.

Last edited:
Russell Coight

Russell Coight

QCup Player
Jul 10, 2013

It shouldn't be like "we need to stick by him". He's almost in tears in the photo. We shouldn't be keeping him captain out of pity, if he is captain material he needs to fire up and prove everyone wrong.

There is a huge difference between Lockyer in 04/05 and Thaiday now. Lockyer was giving his all those days too, everyone was actually relying too much on him. Meanwhile Thaiday has been more of a passenger.

Agree. Darren also had experience captaining Australia and Queensland by this time, so he really had a lot more foundation then Sam.

Renegade

Renegade

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Mar 14, 2008

Locky thinks Thaiday should remain captain of the Broncos

No Cookies | The Courier-Mail
Do you reckon Locky would come out and say, sack Thaiday he's shithouse?

Remember, Locky backed Norman as well, when the majority of us knew he wasn't the solution.

Darren is a legend of the club and all but he's not going to shit on a bunch of guys he played alongside and is probably still matey with, we need to take what he says with a grain of salt imo. I'd rather listen to Renouf and Tallis who have no direct connection with the side, they're more likely to tell it how it is because they're not worried about who they offend.

Morkel

Morkel

International Captain
Contributor
Jan 25, 2013
Do you reckon Locky would come out and say, sack Thaiday he's shithouse?

Remember, Locky backed Norman as well, when the majority of us knew he wasn't the solution.

Darren is a legend of the club and all but he's not going to shit on a bunch of guys he played alongside and is probably still matey with, we need to take what he says with a grain of salt imo. I'd rather listen to Renouf and Tallis who have no direct connection with the side, they're more likely to tell it how it is because they're not worried about who they offend.

Yeah good point, he had tended to just be a part of the Broncos PR machine. Has Renouf or Sailor or anyone else really made any public comments on Thaiday's captaincy? It's all seemed a bit quiet to me. Either no one is daring to question it or only us die-hard fans have concerns. I know that he still gets one if the biggest cheers when his name & pic goes up on the screen at Suncorp.

Renegade

Renegade

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Mar 14, 2008

He's a cult figure though, bushy hair and laidback nature, plus he's probably also a hero in the eyes of his indigenous people.

The average fan will probably just say it's the coach, which could still have a basis in reality, but imo there's a few problems there.

Thaiday isn't the sort of captain to lead from the front or pump up a side who's down, he's the captain that gets involved when the team is already going well and that's not a sign of a good captain.

I don't think Tallis or Renouf have said anything about his captaincy yet, but they've voiced their concern on other issues and they've been closer to the truth than the standard "minor tweaks" response.

Last edited:
Huge

Huge

International Rep
Contributor
Mar 7, 2008

I always considered Thaidays appointment to be a PR/ PC type of event. In my opinion, with the prevalence of Indigenous / Islander / Polynesian players it was a way to highlight our inclusiveness and progressive thinking. I never believed Brisbane picked the right person for the job and thought the decision to be motivated by the wrong reasons.

Thaiday appears to me to have grown far too comfortable in the position and consequently has put in a reduced effort. He looks to be overweight and leaks penalties at stupid times. He has become a liability and I believe the captaincy is a burden he could do without. It certainly would be a way to shed half the obvious excess weight !

Foordy

Foordy

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008

i big part of the captaincy is also on the training paddock, and know one here can honestly say they know how he acts behind closed doors ... or on game day and during the match for that matter, all we see is the small segments that channel 9 show.

the only thing people seem to be going on is his form, which has been down over the last few seasons.

it took Locky roughly 3 seasons (and he and others in the know have admitted this) to become the captain it was. I remember reading an article at the time that said it was the 2006 origin series that Locky truly came of age as a captain - his third season as Broncos captain btw.

next year will be Thaidays third as captain and a make or break year for him as a leader.

Huge

Huge

International Rep
Contributor
Mar 7, 2008

Fair enough. That said, just because it took a basically shy person like Lockyer three years to achieve that level should not be taken as the yardstick necessarily . Langer was a leader from day one, no if buts or maybes. I have always believed people deserve the chance to prove themselves in a role and I think Thaiday has had ample chance. I also acknowledge I am not privy to the inner sanctum and do not know what the real relationship status within the Broncos is.

Alec

Alec

International Rep
Mar 4, 2008

It took Lockyer 2 years to win a Grand Final, he wasn't even captain in 04. He was a real leader even before then though.
He's just too nice.

GCBRONCO

GCBRONCO

International Captain
Mar 4, 2008

Actually Langer was very much a shy person and that was one of the reason's Bennett felt he should be captain after Miles, to take him out of his comfort zone, the difference between him and Thaiday is this, Langer had a real fear of failure(which I'm pretty certain Bennett explains in one of his books much of what happened during 1999 and the lesser known 2002 when he nearly did the same thing but Bennett wouldn't let him do it to himself or the club and had they known how to go about it like the 2nd time they wouldn't have let him do it the first time) he didn't want to let anyone down, Langer as captain led the side not through words but through his actions, play his natural game instead of trying to be something his not, Thaiday doesn't need to be the big talker to be a captain, what he needs to do is to when the side really needs to lift he needs to really step up and go looking for the ball when things aren't going so great, then the others will feel they need to as well, often I just feel his too laid back and prepared to let others do the work and can be equally sloppy in defense.

Old Mate

Old Mate

NRL Player
Jul 5, 2008

There's so many players in our side I'd take as captain over Faidoy.

Active Now

• Mustafur
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.