Sam Thaiday

R

Rabbir

Banned User
Jul 4, 2013
Sam Thaiday loses 4 kgs

Because his spot in the test team was under fire.

I'm sure the Broncos will get same old, same old, right?

A LEAN and mean Sam Thaiday plans to seize his World Cup opportunity after fearing his omission from the Australian rugby league squad. Thaiday has shed four kilograms since the Broncos’ NRL season ended and will tomorrow leave Australia as part of the national team bound for the World Cup.
The burst of intense training was partly due to his appearance at the Fight for Life charity boxing event in New Zealand in December, but mostly attributable to the Brisbane captain’s determination to command a run-on spot in the Australian pack.
That position was under threat due to the Broncos' inconsistent form, so Thaiday was relieved when selected in Tim Sheens’s squad.
"I'm always a bit anxious, a bit more so after the up and down season that we had," the forward said.
"Usually the Australian team is dominated by players whose clubs made the semis so there was a bit of doubt. But I didn’t want to let myself go, or put in only 50 per cent effort

"I love representing my country and will never take it for granted."
Thaiday made the most of his last few days at home ahead of the World Cup, squeezing in some sparring with former Broncos conditioner and ex-boxing champion Mark "Chopper" Burgess.
The 28-year-old was on the receiving end of some heavy blows during five two-minute rounds with the former heavyweight.
"He's a fantastic trainer, I've really been enjoying it," Thaiday said.
"I try to avoid getting on the scales but I do need to get down to a good fighting weight."
"It's easy to balloon out a bit when you’re not playing as much."

ningnangnong

ningnangnong

HACK THE PLANET!!!
Forum Staff
Mar 5, 2008
Re: Sam Thaiday loses 4 kgs

"I'm always a bit anxious, a bit more so after the up and down season that we had," the forward said.

When did the up bits happen? Must've missed them!

lynx000

lynx000

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Jul 28, 2008
Re: Sack Griffin? How about sack Thaiday

if you just look at the result you might think they did well, but if you look at HOW they got there it doesnt paint a fantastic picture.

- scrape into finals on 50% win rate
- beat easily the worst team in the finals, who at the time were just pathetic, having just been beaten by the 12th placed broncos and lost their best player to injury during the game. the way the bulldogs played youd almost put money on some of their players having money on the knights.
- undeniably got the rub of the green from the refs to beat an obviously "on their last legs" and out of form storm.
- got absolutely smashed in the preliminary final.

looking at their season and saying it was a success because they made the prelim is like looking at the broncos in 1999 and saying it was a success because they made the finals. the knights couldnt possibly get an easier run to the prelim than they got this year. they had an easy draw all year, barely playing the top teams (and every time they did they lost), yet still only scraped in to the finals because a few other teams like the broncos/titans/warriors were just useless when it came down to crunch time. they beat the easy beats, then the ragged old former champions, then got blown off the park by the first real challenge. had they played ANY other team in round 1 of the finals they wouldve been eliminated there and then.

How is any of that relevant to the thread topic?

Back to the topic, this sort of attitude, particularly being played out in the press is just further confirmation for me why Sam is not captain material, and why he should not be captain of this club. No acceptance, I have looked completely out of condition and played like it for the majority of the season, so I am focussing on getting my condition right so I perform to my best for my club next year. Oh no, it is, damn my form was down I might miss out on rep selection, better get my finger out. The contrast between him and Parker is stark.

Aldo

Aldo

What, me worry?
Contributor
Jul 7, 2013
Re: Sam Thaiday loses 4 kgs

When did the up bits happen? Must've missed them!

Yeah, you know the game where we only missed 30 tackles instead of our customary 40 tackles. That was pretty good.

rhino

rhino

NYC Player
Aug 27, 2013

Ben Hunt is not an option as captain at this stage. He hasn't even cemented his spot in the side or proven that he is going to be a first grade halfback yet. Thaiday was the best option at the time. I'd really like to hear from the players about their thoughts on Thaiday before I took the job off him. The obvious replacements are Glenn and McCullough but I think Hoffman wouldn't be a bad option.

Yes BB I totally agree with the Hoffman idea. A captain needs to lead from the front and doesn't have to be the best player on the field. But does have to put in the most and inspire others. Something Thaiday lacks badly. Can any one say Hoffy didn't try in a game this year, but we can with Thaiday.

Glenn seems quiet on the field I want someone yelling at the players to get in line, run hard, tackle hard.

We need a voice on the field.

Anonymous person

Anonymous person

Banned User
Dec 16, 2008

How is any of that relevant to the thread topic?
i dunno, ask the guy who i was responding to.

i dont see us ever taking the captaincy off thaiday unless we get a new coach and ceo. every higher up and person of importance in not only our team but in the entire nrl seemingly loves him and thinks hes faaaaaaaaaar better than he actually is. he seems to be untouchable.

Last edited:
lynx000

lynx000

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Jul 28, 2008

i dont see us ever taking the captaincy off thaiday unless we get a new coach and ceo. every higher up and person of importance in not only our team but in the entire nrl seemingly loves him and thinks hes faaaaaaaaaar better than he actually is. he seems to be untouchable.
I know & it shits me tremendously.

Russell Coight

Russell Coight

QCup Player
Jul 10, 2013

Totally agree with this. I do think tho because he is seen as a bit of a leader and what not in the indigenous community, that def plays in his favour.

Splinter

Splinter

NRL Player
Feb 16, 2013
Hoffman tried last year but by his own admission did not the year before. Glenn is the obvious replacement but he needs to cement a spot in the side

Danoz Direct

Danoz Direct

NRL Captain
Oct 12, 2013
Let thaiday have 1 more season in his favoured position and if he does not perform like he does in origin and Australia after a season consider sacking him

GCBRONCO

GCBRONCO

International Captain
Mar 4, 2008
Sam Thaiday discussing tactics with his team mates before a match

Last edited by a moderator:
KingWebcke

KingWebcke

QCup Player
Aug 4, 2013
Hoffman tried last year but by his own admission did not the year before.

what? when has Hoffman ever admitted to not trying (and especially in 2011). I think I know the quote/article you are referring to but I think that is a gross misrepresentation of what he said.

I don't think Hoffman is a viable replacement for Thaiday as captain but not because he allegedly admitted to not trying

KingWebcke

KingWebcke

QCup Player
Aug 4, 2013
That would be 2012 not 2011 I meant season and not year

yeah, I guessed as much. but still, I don't think Hoffman ever admitted to not trying. I think the comments you are thinking of are far less dramatic and damning than that.

Splinter

Splinter

NRL Player
Feb 16, 2013
My interpretation of what he said are slightly different to yours but that is fine. I will give him due credit in that he turned an ordinary year in 2012 completely around in 2013
i assume if we don't get Milford he could find himself defending at 5/8 and playing both 5/8 and fullback in attack as he and Barba swap and keep defences on their toes

Splinter

Splinter

NRL Player
Feb 16, 2013
Maybe I should have put that in the halves thread but I lose track of where I am here sometimes

Rowan Edwards

Rowan Edwards

BRL Player
Jul 15, 2013
While I haven't been thrilled with Thaiday's captaincy, I don't know what our options are right now. If we strip Thaiday of the captaincy, we better have a good replacement waiting.

Parker - The obvious choice. But with him in career best form, does the added pressure of captaincy drag him down?

Glenn - I like him as a future captain but I don't think he's quite ready. Already under enough pressure to make the starting squad. Positive being he won't disappear during Origin every year.

McCullough - Has potential but he'd need to become an 80 minute hooker if he had the C next to his name. Rumours of Smith coming in 2015 may push him to look elsewhere.

Hodges - Not an option given the number of games he misses a season but I'd love to see Hodgo fire up at every press conference after a game.

Am I missing anyone?

Active Now

• Astro
  • Mighty Bronx
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.