Sam Thaiday

KingWebcke

KingWebcke

QCup Player
Aug 4, 2013
My interpretation of what he said are slightly different to yours but that is fine. I will give him due credit in that he turned an ordinary year in 2012 completely around in 2013

No Cookies | The Courier-Mail

he went away on his honeymoon and came back overweight but managed to get down to a weight that the club wanted him to by January.

I think its incredible harsh/untrue to say that is 'not trying'. Staying in peak fitness is no easy feat and players struggle with that all the time, it doesn't mean they are being lazy because they aren't at their fighting weight 12 months of the year (especially after a honeymoon)

then at the end of the year he admitted that the weight he played 2012 at wasn't ideal for him

Broncos' Josh Hoffman pledge to get back to his fighting weight | News.com.au

but again, that isn't 'not trying'. The coaching staff thought that a few extra kilos would help him bust tackles but in the end it just hampered him.

Broncoman

Broncoman

State of Origin Rep
Oct 9, 2011
Hodgo doesn't strike me as a captain. He seems to have an "it's all about me" attitude and doesn't seem like the guy who can lead a team and he is quite injury-prone

No Cookies | The Courier-Mail

he went away on his honeymoon and came back overweight but managed to get down to a weight that the club wanted him to by January.

Bit odd to come back from a honeymoon overweight considering a certain activity that most likely happens.

Russell Coight

Russell Coight

QCup Player
Jul 10, 2013
Looking at the captains photos on BHQ and seeing the likes of langer, walters, lewis, tallis and locky and then thaiday really hits home at just how far from grace we have fallen as a team.

KingWebcke

KingWebcke

QCup Player
Aug 4, 2013
Bit odd to come back from a honeymoon overweight considering a certain activity that most likely happens.

haha, well from personal experience there is no shortage of activity on a honeymoon but it isn't the kind of activity that is going to maintain your physique at 8% body fat. Maybe I'm just doing it wrong though ...

Porthoz

Porthoz

International Captain
Senior Staff
Feb 27, 2010
Sammy won his boxing match in Auckland against the All Blacks 148 Kg prop. Not bad for "third man in"! :rock:

Allo

Allo

International Rep
Forum Staff
Sep 28, 2012
Sammy won his boxing match in Auckland against the All Blacks 148 Kg prop. Not bad for "third man in"! :rock:

He was gifted it. Maybe got a few extra lands with jabs but got smacked a few times a lot harder after leaving himself way too open while jabbing. Was disadvantaged reach-wise but either forgot or thought he'd be quicker when he really wasn't

MrMoore

MrMoore

NRL Player
Jul 27, 2011
Its on youtube if you want to watch,

I read somewhere there is talk about an origin qld vs nsw exhibition boxing , how awesome would that be!

Last edited by a moderator:
Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008
Were the judges watching the same fight as everyone else?

M

Mt Smart

BRL Player
Aug 5, 2011
Thaiday outscored the Rugby dude. Weighty punches ( rugby ) are always going to get commentators like Bob sherridan yelling and hyping the heavy hitter , but those punches in a non professional fight get scored the same as heavy shots.

Only patty cake no impact punches don't get scored.

Crisp clean shots Like Thaidays at a higher work rate will win you an Olympic boxing match over a heavy hitter any day....provided there is no standing eight counts.

He won fair and square and I'm not a fan of Sams.

Close fight some one has to win it.....

Last edited:
Mr Fourex

Mr Fourex

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Apr 9, 2012
Thaiday outscored the Rugby dude. Weighty punches ( rugby ) are always going to get commentators like Bob sherridan yelling and hyping the heavy hitter , but those punches in a non professional fight get scored the same as heavy shots.

Only patty cake no impact punches don't get scored.

Crisp clean shots Like Thaidays at a higher work rate will win you an Olympic boxing match over a heavy hitter any day....provided there is no standing eight counts.

He won fair and square and I'm not a fan of Sams.

Close fight some one has to win it.....

Agreed .....Thaiday looked the better fighter.

Morkel

Morkel

International Captain
Contributor
Jan 25, 2013
If that's what Thaiday looks like after he's lost 4kg... well, let's just say that the new Broncos trainers are going to be working overtime.

Old Mate

Old Mate

NRL Player
Jul 5, 2008
Thaiday left himself open the entire fight, hardly looked the better fighter.

Jason Simmons

Jason Simmons

NRL Captain
Apr 18, 2013
Thaiday left himself open the entire fight, hardly looked the better fighter.

He was a lot busier and landed more. He got that fight on work rate, which given his opponents 144 kegs, isn't really surprising.

The rugby guy landed a few heavier ones, but Thaiday landed tons more.

Unbreakable

Unbreakable

International Rep
Contributor
May 21, 2013
Thaiday certainly landed a lot more, but they were soft as fark, wouldn't knock the foam off a cappuccino, I would've given the win to Tameifuna

Active Now

• maddo
  • Robboi_321
  • RolledOates
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.