Season Opener: Broncos Vs. Cowboys - Match Thread

Fozz

Fozz

International Captain
Senior Staff
Mar 4, 2008
Kaz said:
Jeba said:
Would've been just as loud in the western stand. I think 48000 fans screaming their winger home would've sounded exactly the same 40 metres from where I was.

Since when have the Western Stand snobs screamed & cheered. [icon_razz1

I'd say at an Andre Rieu concert?

Jeba

Jeba

International
Mar 4, 2008
They would've been up last night don't worry about that.

J

Jip

NYC Player
Jul 14, 2008
The last 25 minutes of the first half were magical. if we could keep that up for 80 minutes of the game, we'd have the premiership no doubt about it. The skill is there. The new kids on the block really stepped up and showed that they deserve to wear the maroon and gold, and Anderson (although not a rookie per se) really had a good work rate and looks promising.

I think part of the reason from the Cowboys was a mental thing. They knew they had to get back in it, and really turned it on when it mattered. The new guys didn't know what to do to contain JT, because to be honest, he's a freak of a player and really is the best player in the world. All the credit to the cowboys to get back in it, but the Broncos were complacent and disorganised. We were lucky to get that win, and just shows how good a player Kemp is. I'm very glad to have him back. Gillett was impressive too, and it's good to have him.

QUEENSLANDER

QUEENSLANDER

NRL Captain
Mar 4, 2008
Gillet and Norman were my stand outs last night. Great debuts by both of them.

Anyone thinking we would miss hunt had to eat their words last night. Norman not only showed he can defend, but also ran the exact plays Hunt used to feature in, and everyone thought that play would go once hunt left. Pretty sure we got a handful of tries off it. The 2 try savers at the start were brilliant too, hunt would 100% have gone for the shoulder charge for the first one, but norman had the right thought to just grab the ball. Khunt who?

Im still out on kemp. He was atrocious at the warriors, and to me, it shows hes not a player who makes things happen, but instead relies on others. To me, 90% of his game is speed, and in the broncos that works, because we are good at getting around teams. I find his grab badge ironic, since just over 1 year ago he took the first big money offer he could to get out of the team. As long as we keep getting the ball to him with space, he will flourish, hopefully he can pick up some other skills along the way. His defence was good however, folau let us down a few times as expected now that hes playing centre. On that note, was good to see a big back (take note hodges) running hard onto the ball and causing havoc because of it. Folau could develop into a great centre here :D

Nashy

Nashy

Immortal
Senior Staff
Mar 5, 2008
You realise Kemp was forced to leave don't you? And never wanted to leave?

Ironbroncos

Ironbroncos

QCup Player
May 2, 2008
great game.. welcome back kemp!

on a side note I think Kenny needs some help up in the front, they shoulda started Anderson with him, I thought we werent doing too much metre gaining for our forwards, Kenny picking up the slack... good games from all debutants, hopefully theyll get to learn the rigours of first grade for much tougher matches down the road

QUEENSLANDER

QUEENSLANDER

NRL Captain
Mar 4, 2008
yeah how come they dropped anderson to the bench? they owe me some fantasy league points!!!

Bucking Beads

Bucking Beads

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008
oh the irony of it all, Kemp you were awesome.

Charmamba

Charmamba

Life is a Fantasy League
Jan 9, 2011
NRL.com says he will be right for next week.

Mister Wright

Mister Wright

NRL Captain
Jun 8, 2009
Man, what a great game. The great thing about Brisbane, is I think the fans realise this is going to be a tough year with so many youngsters, and the city really turned up in force last night and got us up over the line. As has been mentioned earlier, the sound when Kemp was streaking away for the try was ear-blowing, never heard anything so loud in my life, and that includes a Baby Animals concert.

I thought we really won the game in the first 15 minutes, we could easily have been down 18-0, great stuff from Norman.

Good to see Falou with the chip over the top, adding something new to his game :)

If we play an expansive game like that all season we're going to be tough to beat, good to see Ivan has confidence in the younger players to give them free will to pass it around.

Bucking Beads

Bucking Beads

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008
draggx said:
NRL.com says he will be right for next week.

Foxsports is saying Folau may struggle to play against Canberra. Looks like Winterstien should be sweet to play though just had some hamstring tightness

A

Astroboy

QCup Player
Mar 31, 2008
Woohoo, nice way to start the season! Must admit I've been out of it a bit and was gobsmacked to see so many guys I've never heard of in the Broncos jersey, but so pleased to see that on a first look it seems they've got some quality about them - nothing beats that warm fuzzy feeling of seeing another Bronco debutant and thinking from the way he plays "I'm looking forward to watching this bloke's career - as long as he stays at the Broncos" :) Case in point was Norman as others have said already, a sense of deja vu from when I first saw whoever that other fullback was play.

1st half = why it's good to have plenty of youth and enthusiasm - when they're not making mistakes and all is going well.

2nd half = why it's good to have some old, cool heads around when you're under the pump and things are going to shit. Not enough of those around at the moment, due to stupid player management in letting so many go.

But, to look on the bright side, I hope all the young guns on show last night can have great careers at the Broncos and become the ones who continue the Broncos tradition of greatness.

All in all, it was a win and any season that starts with a Broncos win, starts well icon_thumbs_u

F

Flutterby

International
Mar 5, 2008
I don't really have a lot more to add. But I was really so proud of our boys last night - especially the young kids, they absolutely didn't look out of place and will only get better as the season progresses and with the confidence they would have taken out of their first game - hopefully they can keep building on it.

And may I say - I think the atmosphere at the game was awesome. One of the best atmospheres at a Broncos home game for quite some time IMO

shaneomac

shaneomac

NYC Player
Apr 7, 2009
many thanks to gillett and norman who were both in my fantasy league team for cheap cheaps and scored massive points.

i agree that anderson should start but dropping him back for the first game made sense considering his (limited 28 games but 2 GF's) experience to come off the bench partnered with the debutants to have a steady head on the field if kenny needed a break. it wont happen for too many games the other boys looked good and will be able to match it soon enough

F

Flutterby

International
Mar 5, 2008
QUEENSLANDER said:
f
Im still out on kemp. He was atrocious at the warriors, and to me, it shows hes not a player who makes things happen, but instead relies on others. To me, 90% of his game is speed, and in the broncos that works, because we are good at getting around teams. I find his grab badge ironic, since just over 1 year ago he took the first big money offer he could to get out of the team.

Too harsh on Kemp. He was told point blank we had no money for him. He actually went to the Warriors for less than he was on at the Broncos in 2008. The reason he was so atrocious at the Warriors (and that is the one thing I will agree with you on here) was that he really really really didn't want to be there.

Active Now

• Battler
  • Skathen
  • Hurrijo
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.